Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received an email as well as a notification on my App that says that a Software Upgrade is available. However, even though I am connected to WiFi so far no prompt to start the download of the new Software has come through to my car. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Green Budget Coalition - Recommendations for Budget 2019

The Green Budget Coalition recommends that Transport Canada implement a ZEV mandate combined with a two- year, Canada-wide ZEV incentive of $6,000 per vehicle (restricted to vehicles with a sticker price under $75,000).

Not a fan of restricting incentives based on sticker prices but it will be interesting to see how this works into the 2019 federal budget. If so, the model 3 should see strong sales in Canada.

Given the recent IPCC report on climate change, you'd have to think a number of climate related policies will be forthcoming.

The Green Budget Coalition recommends that Transport Canada implement a ZEV mandate combined with a two- year, Canada-wide ZEV incentive of $6,000 per vehicle (restricted to vehicles with a sticker price under $75,000).

Not a fan of restricting incentives based on sticker prices but it will be interesting to see how this works into the 2019 federal budget. If so, the model 3 should see strong sales in Canada.

Given the recent IPCC report on climate change, you'd have to think a number of climate related policies will be forthcoming.
until the conservatives win in 2019.. then who knows.... :(

I feel strongly there will come a point in the not too distant future where you will be seen as an outlier without a strong environmental policy regardless what party you are. When everyone understands (as they should now) that not acting is much more costly than implementing effective policies, the tide will turn. Whether time runs out or not is yet to be determined unfortunately.

Transportation accounts for a good chunk of the problem so having incentives in place is only reasonable. I'd prefer seeing something a little more aggressive but at least $75k gets you into an AWD M3. (presume EAP as an option wouldn't need to be on the sticker price :)

It gives me some hope at least. I'll be tracking it closely and getting my order in immediately this time!

Reactions: champion1955
I feel strongly there will come a point in the not too distant future where you will be seen as an outlier without a strong environmental policy regardless what party you are. When everyone understands (as they should now) that not acting is much more costly than implementing effective policies, the tide will turn. Whether time runs out or not is yet to be determined unfortunately.

Transportation accounts for a good chunk of the problem so having incentives in place is only reasonable. I'd prefer seeing something a little more aggressive but at least $75k gets you into an AWD M3. (presume EAP as an option wouldn't need to be on the sticker price :)

It gives me some hope at least. I'll be tracking it closely and getting my order in immediately this time!

The elephant in the room is still the industrial farming of animals - ~50% of global GHGs. EVs will help but the population of the world needs to say no to cheap subsidized meat.

Yes, it's a very broad and pervasive issue. I eat red meat about 4 times a year though I'd prefer much more frequently. It's also been said that agriculture has had a strong impact as well due to clearing of forests, etc. Not to mention the toll climate change and agricultural practices have made on the nutrient density of food generally.

The population of the world needs to de-populate :) Climate change is already making parts of the earth uninhabitable.

Just in the time since John Glenn first orbited the earth, the Sahara has expanded by another 250,000 sq mi to now cover over 3.6 million square miles.

Anyway, if the 2019 federal budget includes an incentive, there will be time to take advantage of it even if the PC's are elected and they do away with it. One small step...

Yes, it's a very broad and pervasive issue. I eat red meat about 4 times a year though I'd prefer much more frequently. It's also been said that agriculture has had a strong impact as well due to clearing of forests, etc. Not to mention the toll climate change and agricultural practices have made on the nutrient density of food generally.

The population of the world needs to de-populate :) Climate change is already making parts of the earth uninhabitable.

Just in the time since John Glenn first orbited the earth, the Sahara has expanded by another 250,000 sq mi to now cover over 3.6 million square miles.

Anyway, if the 2019 federal budget includes an incentive, there will be time to take advantage of it even if the PC's are elected and they do away with it. One small step...

The thing is the poor countries who are suffering from climate change do not consume a lot of meat to begin with. It is the developed and developing countries that is driving the demand (artificially created by multinational meat producers). It's a very dangerous system and a linear dive to our global death.

Reactions: Krakhaus

I too am not a fan of the sticker restrictions. The incentive is about influencing people's decision to go electric. The incentive may in fact have greater impact on the more expensive cars as they generally use more fuel and consequently pollute more.

Yes, it's a debate that's gone on here in previous posts way back and in other threads. I understand the logic of putting a cap on incentives, I just don't agree with it for the reasons you state and also that a good portion of people that would take advantage simply are not rich so the argument that it's a giveaway for the rich just doesn't hold and it's those optics that I think makes governments rush to quell in their selfish desire to maximize their favor.

Though that said, if it's forcing you into a more energy efficient EV then I guess it's has some beneficial effect.

Also, the taxes collected on the more expensive EV's would tend to offset the rebate anyway or even be better for the government.

A model X 100D with EAP and 5 seats represents $17,719 in taxes which is >6k of those collected from a M3 AWD.

The thing is the poor countries who are suffering from climate change do not consume a lot of meat to begin with. It is the developed and developing countries that is driving the demand (artificially created by multinational meat producers). It's a very dangerous system and a linear dive to our global death.

How Does Meat in the Diet Take an Environmental Toll?

A lifecycle analysis conducted by the Environmental Working Group that took into account the production and distribution of 20 common agricultural products found that red meat such as beef and lamb is responsible for 10 to 40 times as many greenhouse gas emissions as common vegetables and grains.

The Marshall Islands Are Disappearing

11 percent of the world’s 7.7 billion people are living in areas less than 33 feet above sea level.

We have at most about a dozen years to get things turned around.

Trump is the ONLY world leader that denies climate change. This includes his buddies Putin and rocket man.

Hopefully there will be a number of incentives that become available such as those stolen away by Ford with the GreenON program in addition to EV incentives at the federal level - and in addition to lifestyle changes that everyone can make.

There's a theory that we've never seen evidence of extra-terrestrial life because species inevitably render themselves extinct due to abuse of their planet for material and energy extraction.

Hog waste in North Carolina after Hurricane Florence:

DpU1fSqXUAEz1Om.jpg:large
DpU1fSqXUAEz1Om.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: champion1955
Re: Trump - even his own administration recently said the planet will warm by 7°F by the end of the century on its current course.
Trump administration sees a 7-degree rise in global temperatures by 2100

Though it's a little disheartening when more than 70 percent of global emissions come from just 100 companies - GQ article on Leading Cause of Climate Change which includes some good links as well if anyone's interested.

While it may seem hopeless at the individual level, certainly the adoption of EV's/killing off our dependence on fossil fuels and generally migrating away from companies and products associated with climate change is something you can do along with VOTING for people/parties that have a real plan.

The trick is in the timing and that's why incentives are required as just one part of an overall strategy. While it's a crime that Ford has ended programs, hopefully the late Feb/early March federal budget will address this. Then we can start a new thread that will go through the same theatrics when the liberals are voted out and the PC's cut everything all over again :) Until then...

It will be a long day before you remove the last piece of prime rib on my plate.

No one is removing meat from your plate. So no need to act like the tough guy among us. It just makes you sound silly. Did you take off your shirt and flex your muscles as you typed that for us? I'm so scared! :rolleyes:

In reality, each of us has to decide how much meat we should eat, taking into account its effect on future generations. The earth will be just fine if we all stuffed ourselves on prime rib, it's just the life on it that will suffer.

Also, for first world countries, it's not about removing food from our plates. That will happen first in third world countries with the effects of climate change, so no need for concern -- not our tribe -- so eat up! It's only our children's future, and that of their children, that will suffer because of the vast amount of meat we east as a society. No big deal. (It's sarcasm for those who missed it.)

We've evolved over thousands of years to be selfish and tribal but also with a large brain and a consciousness unlike any other animal. If only we will learn to use it before it's too late.