Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered mine as well ... Woohoo ! Those who cancelled their orders in July are now eligible for the rebate due to court ruling as long as it's delivered by end of year .

Ordered a LR RWD Model 3 today as those who cancelled are now allowed to re-order and receive the 14k rebate. (can't order anything else)

Now to see if there are any R3's left around. If not, will have to settle for X-Ice I guess.

Interesting development! Since Tesla is no longer manufacturing the LR M3, will they run a line to service Ontarians? I would think so provided there's a critical mass of ~1000 orders to convert a line to LR for a day. Otherwise I guess you'll have to scrounge for returns (rejected cars from factory defects like paint) and showroom vehicles --- which sounds lame but for a $14,000 discount, it's still totally worth it.

Reactions: akidesir
Interesting development! Since Tesla is no longer manufacturing the LR M3, will they run a line to service Ontarians? I would think so provided there's a critical mass of ~1000 orders to convert a line to LR for a day. Otherwise I guess you'll have to scrounge for returns (rejected cars from factory defects like paint) and showroom vehicles --- which sounds lame but for a $14,000 discount, it's still totally worth it.

The model 3 assembly line was designed to be flexible. They'll just keep building 90% of the same car except the last installation of the motors + battery pack. Every other component will be the same since they're pushing PUP into every car.

Wow, this is a huge win! It sounds like Tesla continued to fight for the rebate after the initial ruling. Congrats to those who qualify!

That's been my understanding. The original statement was:

“For customers who cancelled their orders as a result of the government's initial decision and now wish to renew, we hope the government will work with us to achieve a fair resolution,”

Tesla legal was unable to share any further information the past 10 weeks so it's been a bit of a hope and a prayer.

Reactions: Ludatik
That's been my understanding. The original statement was:

“For customers who cancelled their orders as a result of the government's initial decision and now wish to renew, we hope the government will work with us to achieve a fair resolution,”

Tesla legal was unable to share any further information the past 10 weeks so it's been a bit of a hope and a prayer.

My guess would be they reached a settlement wherein they're not allowed to disclose terms, and wherein they're allowed to contact ppl who cancelled, but not publicize it and therefore take new orders. That would explain the complete lack of communication from Tesla. They simply reached an agreement with the gov't of Ontario to mitigate their losses in exchange for Tesla not suing the pants off them.

DseDIoTVAAAFn6A.jpg

From M3OC Twitter

• Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
That's interesting. It's heavily implied these cars will be sold only from inventory. So the factory will not be retooling production at all, they're simply matching orders to whatever limited inventory they have remaining.

That's my read too although maybe not too surprising given the time constraints. There's probably not enough time to both make and deliver a newly configured car to Canada. Remember that Tesla is also trying to fulfill all the US orders that still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit by year end.