Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oops, driving car in icy condition and car slipped on ice and hit a curb hard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Last night I was driving out of my neighborhood going about 15mph and the car started to slip on ice. It was a slow roll that was headed into a fence which was then blocked by the wheels hitting the curb. Thankfully, the car didn't have damage anywhere else but the wheels which look to have major curb rash. Otherwise, I can't see any other damage to the car. When I drove the car after the hit, it still drove, and my tires did not deflate, however, the car would pull pretty hard to the left and I would hear a grinding noise coming from the wheel and tire that hit the curb. I have an appointment on Tuesday, but was wondering if anyone has any ideas what the grinding noise and left pull could be. I know the alignment is probably messed up but was wondering what other components could be damaged. I have attached pictures of the car and a video recording of the curb hit. Appreciate any help!

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).jpg

MicrosoftTeams-image (10).jpg

Video:

Great first post with dashcam and everything! Welcome!

Yeah, a bunch of suspension components likely shifted, no big deal for an alignment shop to reposition. Those wheels are pretty damaged and possibly bent, consider buying a used set of 4 for ~$2500 from the classifieds here or from Facebook.

Grinding might be something simple like a bent brake rotor shield, or maybe you damaged a wheel bearing? Either way it's a few hundred bucks to fix.

And btw, if you think you should wear a jacket, don't drive on those summer tires. I don't need to tell you what could happen when summer tires get cold.

I swapped out my wheels immediately after delivery. I have 19" forged rims with P Elect all-season tires. This is just for cold weather. I use a cheap gas car with Nokian HP 10s for ice and snow driving. Worked nicely in that ice we had last night. Plus if any minor accident and it's just a junk car, so doesn't matter much.

My Porsche Cayman would never go out in cold weather because of the summer tires. They can form micro cracks if you do and won't be warrantied. If I had only one car I would have a second set of wheels, 18s and maybe studded. But maybe not, since the noise and mileage hit.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well, I was going to wait to and see how the stock all seasons on our 22LR did but after seeing that video I’m going to Costco today to get winters put on as it’s my wife’s daily driver.

I dont think the video has any bearing on how all season tires might or might not do. It only has bearing on how summer tires (dont) do in snow conditions, which they should never be driven in.

I dont know if the all seasons are sufficient, but I wouldnt make that decision based on how summer tires perform in snow.