Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Center Console

Do you need some organization in the center console?

• Yes, give me some way to keep my stuff organized.

Votes: 105 62.5%
  • No, I like the open console.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I don't care much either way.

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm reposting what was posted by a reservation holder yesterday on the official Tesla forum.

jd3tm | March 18, 2012,

I got to spend 15 minutes with George Blankenship, VP WW Sales at the SR Tesla premier Friday night. I asked several questions covering a lot of the conversation in this and other forum topics. I will capture them here and ask folks to cross-post if desired.

1. #43 and #44 are still Betas in several areas but not the big ones...there is only the lame center console that will be available at first Signature delivery! BUT, they are putting together upgrade/drop-ins to remove/replace the center console with optional ones that will include things like rear and proper front cup holders, full center consoles, etc. I'm sure they won't make this public until they have fully formed plans. But, it sounded like they clearly have field upgrade plans coming in this area! George said these would be backward compatible with Signature vehicles so you will be able to upgrade later. Stay tuned.

2. Connectivity package - for the US, they are negotiating with ATT. Not final yet. Stay tuned.

3. Rear seats - still in work because they are having regulatory issues and design issues to match. They want to provide a solution that minimizes rear-view interference yet meets guidelines/requirements for safety. NONE of the cars there have final design for this aspect of the vehicle.

4. Outside fit and finish - lots of work to go in cleaning up the fit and finish. George pointed out a number of areas where panels on#43 and #44 didn't lineup properly, etc.

5. Interior fit and finish - lots of little things like sunshades, etc. Even things like programming of the overall features and functionality isn't done yet. ie - there was still no method for moving a feature from big screen to little screen, etc.

6. Rear seat headroom - interesting. I sat in the back seat of both panoramic and solid roofed cars...panoramic roof has MORE headroom by a good 1-2inches BUT, the back seats were actually quite different in the two vehicles I tried. I'm not sure my measurements will hold when they actually have the right rear seat treatments completed.
George was quite emphatic that they will be delivering Signatures in July! I suspect it will be ~32 July... ;-)
They are still doing things like suspension testing, etc. by spending a lot of time running over potholes in CA and over bumps, etc.
As George stated, there are still a lot of little things to get done but he didn't see any roadblocks and, in fact, said that there would be some "cool surprises" for Signature owners.

I asked when Sigs would be configuring their vehicle for delivery. His comment - "Not for a few weeks" I take that to mean maybe by the middle of April and not before.

So much for my report..heading back over now to see the vehicles in Daylight!
cheers,

jd3
sig 692

Larry

Maybe the cool feature for Signature owners is they'll include whatever center console option for free. For general production, while it would have been nice to include more storage as standard, I think this actually gives people some flexibility. As long as they're not going to charge 1-2K for these upgrades and make them reasonably priced depending on the complexity involved then this gives the people who want it open that option and those that don't something to pick from.

I'm hoping that the reason Geoge is discussing this as a Signature option is because there isn't sufficient time to design and test this retrofit for some Signature reservation holders. By the time we get to deliveries for General Production reservation holders, I'm hoping that this redesigned center console will be a standard option with no retrofitting being needed.

Larry

With regards to a Center Console, I for one don't have a pusse, never have, never will. However, if I did, I would want to stow it and/or, any other items, laptop, sunglasses, wallet ect. in a secured compartment out of sight (and mind) from would be robbers and vandals that would cause $$$$$ worth of damage breaking in to steal them. Since a transmission(automatic/standard) tunnel and its mecahnical user interface are obsolete in a Tesla, ashtray/ lighter are no longer needed, the unsually deep and wide space between the driver and passenger seats provide for a well designed, ergonomic "form follows function" center console that could be secured by the remote keyless/fob making entry available only to the owner or designated driver. No amount of cognitive dissonance can justify leaving this most convenient, accessible and expansive space unsecured and unutilized, a compartment that would be ideal for a purse, laptop, glasses(sun and otherwise) and valuables. I'm not interested in some low' buck yuck' aftermarket console for my $100,000 vehicle.

As I've said before, I prefer the large open storage area. I think it'll be very handy. It will be the place where we will throw miscellaneous things we're carrying like takeout food containers, small purchases, etc. My wife will put a Kleenex box in there, so I'll probably find a black plastic one and Velcro it down to the carpet. I might even Velcro a little trash bin in there.

That said, there are a few things that are really needed (and a comparison my two existing cars):
  • A convenient holder for sunglasses. I can't be reaching down next to my feet to find my glasses that have rolled around somewhere in the bin. [In my Roadster I can reach the glove compartment easily - not so in the Model S. My G37 has a flip-down glasses holder up by the sunroof - works very well.]
  • A handy little bin to hold change for tolls (for road trips into the USA). It needs to be shallow and wide enough that you can pick up the change. [Big fail on my G37 - has appropriate nooks but you can't get the coins out of them. Roadster is better but you'd have to really control your right foot or they'll be permanently lost under the seat...]

• Since you mention "Velcro", I'm thinking of (even if Tesla comes up with good center console replacements/additions) velcro-ing one or two of these onto the door(s). However I'll first hold it there to see if it looks OK. (Or maybe someone finds something similar made out of better fitting material) :

High Road DriverPockets Cell Phone Holder and Car Organizer - CargoGear Car and Truck Accessories

One for sunglasses, and one for garage tickets or so. Now that I know these phone holders exist, I think right at the door is a good place for a few things, for quick access, and for sunglasses these are better than hard pockets with other stuff moving against the glasses (and where you have to first search for them).

EDIT: (Or to the inner side of the console walls below the touchscreen.)

Last edited:
I'm hoping that the reason Geoge is discussing this as a Signature option is because there isn't sufficient time to design and test this retrofit for some Signature reservation holders. By the time we get to deliveries for General Production reservation holders, I'm hoping that this redesigned center console will be a standard option with no retrofitting being needed.

Larry

+1 on this! I'm getting the sense that Tesla realizes that the majority of people want at least SOME amount of storage in the car and are making every effort to accommodate us. I sort of hope they realize that their first attempt at the center console was a failure and are going back to the drawing board. Hey, you can't win 'em all! And while post-production inserts for the center console do provide flexibility for everyone, quite honestly the flexibility should have been provided from the get go and standard (a solution that provides ample storage, still maintains a vast open area that highlights the uniquely EV lack of a transmission column, and provides usable cup holders that don't impede on the use of the arm rests).

+1 on this! I'm getting the sense that Tesla realizes that the majority of people want at least SOME amount of storage in the car and are making every effort to accommodate us. I sort of hope they realize that their first attempt at the center console was a failure and are going back to the drawing board. Hey, you can't win 'em all! And while post-production inserts for the center console do provide flexibility for everyone, quite honestly the flexibility should have been provided from the get go and standard (a solution that provides ample storage, still maintains a vast open area that highlights the uniquely EV lack of a transmission column, and provides usable cup holders that don't impede on the use of the arm rests).

To them, they might not see it as a "failure". I think rather than dragging them over the coals for something that they (and others) likely feel is sufficient, we should be happy that it at least seems they're willing to go back and make good for those that disagree. Again, what other manufacturer would do that?

To them, they might not see it as a "failure". I think rather than dragging them over the coals for something that they (and others) likely feel is sufficient, we should be happy that it at least seems they're willing to go back and make good for those that disagree. Again, what other manufacturer would do that?

Any company who's name alone won't sell their product. It would be foolhardy for them to ignore the wants of the majority of their most ardent supporters, let alone the general public.

And what's wrong with calling them out on what many consider a major drawback of the current interior? I love the Model S (and Tesla) for many reasons, but am not shy to speak up when they seem to have a glaring shortcoming with their cars. And there's no shame if they acknowledge that they failed in the design of the center console (and other interior aspects). Again, not every design they come up with will be well received and as a young company it's essential that they be nimble and work towards correcting those deficiencies.

I think we'd pretty much all prefer (even those that like it as it is) if they simply included a solution from the get go that in no way compromised the existing open space, yet found a way to provide slide out storage.

1:22 in that video Franz says: "Model S will be the best car in the world on the planet" their mark was to make the best sedan on the market not the best EV on the market....They are trying to attract customers who are cross shopping with other luxury brands. The best EV on the market means they are only competing with the Coda and Leaf....the Best sedan in the world means they are competing with some major players....

That's the thing that bugs me the most. I always thought "right, this is the Beta, they'll surely change a few things in the interior before launch - the partly shoddy looking build quality, the missing storage space, the manual folding side mirrors, the unusable cup holders, the too short armrest, the missing door-pockets etc. etc."
Now that it seems these things will make it into production as is, Franz's statement becomes completely ridiculous. I mean hey, Elon also owns and drives an Audi Q7. And so he knows what premium build quality and functionality is meant to be. So when he and Franz are saying they want the S to be at least equal if not better than the Audis, BMWs , Mercs, Lexus's etc. on the planet then, sorry, they must be either out of their mind, blind or at least oblivious of the facts.

And as much as I wish Tesla to succeed with the Model S and as a company, now that (at least in Europe) the first generation of the major players' EVs are looming on the horizon, this goal will get ever more difficult. Keeping my fingers crossed though...

I may have been the one who started the ranting about the console this weekend, and I've had a few days to sleep on it...so I've come back with some comments after thinking about it some:

1) I think my concern is that there isn't concealed storage. Obviously, there's plenty of storage space in the Model S. I just don't want a big bag of garbage sitting out in the open in the car to detract from its otherwise awesome looks.

2) The front cupholders are not in a great position. I wish there were cupholders in back.

3) I can see that the open space will definitely have its benefits for storing my wife's purse, takeout, retail purchases, etc.

4) I'm a little concerned about arm support while driving and tapping the touchscreen....concerned that bumps will cause my arms to flail wildly and make it difficult to tap precisely on the screen.

I'm glad to hear Tesla may be investigating some sort of modular storage option. I don't need much...and it shouldn't cost a lot.

Having said all that, I trust that testers have put enough miles on the car to explore these issues. since Elon's been driving the car as well, I trust that his discriminating taste has sifted through the major issues.

Although the interior is not quite what I would have preferred, I still can't imagine getting any other car. The fact that it's electric, for me, trumps all else.

Although the interior is not quite what I would have preferred, I still can't imagine getting any other car. The fact that it's electric, for me, trumps all else.

Well said. If you're purely basing this car on the interior quality against $90,000 BMWs or Mercedes then you will likely be disappointed at least with the initial Model S. I still think the quality and interior is fine just apparently not on the same level as those cars at that price range. It is an EV with many other amazing features and driving characteristics. Something that not even a $120,000 ICE can match is never going to a gas station and that has to be worth something too.

I hardly ever use my arm rest. I drive a stick so my left hand is always on the wheel. My right hand is almost either on the stick or wheel. The only time I really use the armrest is on long drives and really only for about 5 minutes out of ever hour.

Right now I have 6 credit/debit cards in my center console. It has never really had anything else worth while in it.

The more people are complaining them more I like the interior.

With regards to a Center Console, I for one don't have a pusse, never have, never will. However, if I did, I would want to stow it and/or, any other items, laptop, sunglasses, wallet ect. in a secured compartment out of sight (and mind) from would be robbers and vandals that would cause $$$$$ worth of damage breaking in to steal them. Since a transmission(automatic/standard) tunnel and its mecahnical user interface are obsolete in a Tesla, ashtray/ lighter are no longer needed, the unsually deep and wide space between the driver and passenger seats provide for a well designed, ergonomic "form follows function" center console that could be secured by the remote keyless/fob making entry available only to the owner or designated driver. No amount of cognitive dissonance can justify leaving this most convenient, accessible and expansive space unsecured and unutilized, a compartment that would be ideal for a purse, laptop, glasses(sun and otherwise) and valuables. I'm not interested in some low' buck yuck' aftermarket console for my $100,000 vehicle. Sincerely apologize fornthe spelling error...."don't have a purse..."

I also noticed that the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel was completely blank - no switches, no storage. Perhaps that area is jam packed with electronics, but if not, that would be a nice inconspicuous place for a junk drawer or sunglass cubby.

That is exactly how it is on my BMW. Compartment on the lower dash left of the steering wheel, size large enough to fit my sunglasses, parking disc clock, and ice scraper. And that's in addition to the door pockets, the glove compartment, two small drawers in the middle of the dash, and three compartments in the center console / armrest. Then again, I don't have cupholders, but not being a Starbucks-maniac I don't really miss them all that much.

I was surprised to find a pocket of sorts built in the front of the front seats. At least the Red one (VIN 44 I think) that's at Santana Row for a couple more days has them. They're almost the full width of the seats, and about 6" deep. Probably not a bad place to put your wallet, but coins would get lost. It might be OK for sunglasses, but not ideal.

When I heard Tesla's product manager use the term "negative space" to describe their open console concept I cringed. I can't think of one positive attribute the word "negative" has other than in the medical field where "the results came back negative" is a good thing. Yea, I know there are other examples I'm sure, but to describe something as "negative" is going to take a lot more marketing dollars to convey it's a "positive".

Ok, so anyone want to come up with a better word. My choice is "Free Range Console" Free range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pretty much describes what items your trying to store in that open space do.

Don't take too much of what I just said serious, just my brand of humor. :wink:

Ok, so anyone want to come up with a better word. My choice is "Free Range Console" Free range - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Pretty much describes what items your trying to store in that open space do.

Don't take too much of what I just said serious, just my brand of humor. :wink:

haha. How's about "Black Hole". It contains anti-matter, which is kind of like negative-space.