Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Frunk with Screwdriver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A really moronic video about "insane security flaw". It is a documented safety feature.

Read more here: First Responders | Tesla

upload_2017-2-10_10-41-16.png

This is quite a STUPID design, hopefully its some form of regulatory requirement (I think maybe Porsche does this too) and not an intended design. this release means there is no secured storage in the car (sorry but glass is easily broken), which should be designed in for hatchbacks

This isn't anything new. We've known about this for awhile.

If I understand correctly, on pre-refresh Model S this is more difficult, isn't it?
It's changed several times. For 2012/3/4 the manual release is roughly behind the glovebox. For 2015s it's in the nosecone. 2016s are as noted above. And those aren't hard dates, despite the First Responder's guides being labeled as such.

What I don't really understand is, if the purpose is to provide access to the cut loop, why didn't they just make the cut loop accessible from outside the vehicle instead of making it easy to open the frunk?

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and ABC2D
One of the things noted in the article that I thought was interesting is that Tesla is supposed to notify you of this and advise you not to store anything valuable in the frunk. This was not covered in my delivery at all, even though we went through the car's features extensively including the frunk.

This isn't anything new. We've known about this for awhile.

It's changed several times. For 2012/3/4 the manual release is roughly behind the glovebox. For 2015s it's in the nosecone. 2016s are as noted above. And those aren't hard dates, despite the First Responder's guides being labeled as such.

What I don't really understand is, if the purpose is to provide access to the cut loop, why didn't they just make the cut loop accessible from outside the vehicle instead of making it easy to open the frunk?
I would presume the cut loop needs to be protected from weather and risk of damage from externally. It may also have to do with the routing of it.

Not news to me either. But this is the first time it has been widely covered by social media.

Last edited:
This is quite a STUPID design, hopefully its some form of regulatory requirement (I think maybe Porsche does this too) and not an intended design. this release means there is no secured storage in the car (sorry but glass is easily broken), which should be designed in for hatchbacks
The Porsche ones are similar. One is under the headlight (more similar to Model X implementation). The other is in the front wheel well (either on driver or passenger side depending on model). They are in harder to reach places, but they don't serve an emergency function (it's primarily for in case the battery is dead, as their frunk uses an electronic latch). Plus their location is not documented, unlike with Tesla which has it for emergency responders.

Have you ever opened a trunk with a crow bar? I did once when a formed tenant abandoned a car (an old Cadillac) at my parent's rental property along with a bunch of junk left in the garage. My father and I opened the trunk, put all the junk in there and called the city to tow it away (the car was on the street in front of the house). I was about 12 at the time and I was able to pop the trunk open in a few seconds. It took virtually no effort.

Just about all new cars today, including Teslas have car alarms, so anyone opening anything without the key is going to set off the alarm as long as the car has power.

Probably the most secure place to put things in a Tesla is the smuggler's hold under the floor in the back. Even if a potential car prowler knows about the frunk, they probably don't know about the under floor storage in the back.

Reactions: CanuckS#69
Have you ever opened a trunk with a crow bar? I did once when a formed tenant abandoned a car (an old Cadillac) at my parent's rental property along with a bunch of junk left in the garage. My father and I opened the trunk, put all the junk in there and called the city to tow it away (the car was on the street in front of the house). I was about 12 at the time and I was able to pop the trunk open in a few seconds. It took virtually no effort.

Just about all new cars today, including Teslas have car alarms, so anyone opening anything without the key is going to set off the alarm as long as the car has power.

Probably the most secure place to put things in a Tesla is the smuggler's hold under the floor in the back. Even if a potential car prowler knows about the frunk, they probably don't know about the under floor storage in the back.

Yeah that little pleather finger loop wont tip them off....yes i realize you can open anything with a crowbar, its the effort required that matters, and whens the last time you even REACTED to a car alarm?

Came across this interesting article today. Definitely don't store anything in the frunk that you don't want stolen. Anyone know exactly where in the wheel well the release is on the Model S?

You can open the frunk on a Tesla Model X with just a screwdriver
From the original article:

Let's be clear, there is a perfectly reasonable and rational explanation why Tesla built in this access. The Model S has a similar point behind the front wheel. If a vehicle is in an accident, emergency responders must be able to shut down the high voltage system in order to prevent possible electrical injury. Modern Formula 1 cars with hybrid systems have a similar feature. The access point on a Tesla happens to be under the frunk, so there has to be a way to access it without a key or even full power.

Reviewing the 2021+ Refresh version of the First Responders Guide I don't see any cable release anymore for emergency Frunk release, only an electrical option that is disabled when the car still has low voltage. So the manual frunk release has been removed?

Reviewing the 2021+ Refresh version of the First Responders Guide I don't see any cable release anymore for emergency Frunk release, only an electrical option that is disabled when the car still has low voltage. So the manual frunk release has been removed?
Page 4 shows they switched to the Model 3 system, which allows the first responder to jump the frunk release via the tow hook when there is no power. This design addresses both concerns: the need to open the frunk when there is no power, and security of the frunk during normal use.

Page 4 shows they switched to the Model 3 system, which allows the first responder to jump the frunk release via the tow hook when there is no power. This design addresses both concerns: the need to open the frunk when there is no power, and security of the frunk during normal use.
For what it's worth, also wanted to add since this zombie thread was revived, since then there haven't been reports of widespread (or any really) accounts of people breaking into the Model S or X frunks. The methods Tesla used to hide the releases is enough to keep "honest" people out, and it's too much of a hassle for thieves to use. Instead what we saw were widespread accounts of people breaking the rear quarter glass of the Model 3 to drop the rear seats, but that's a story for another thread.