Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I do understand where you are coming from. But seriously, I really like the idea of being able to customize almost everything - that is the beauty of it. You pay for what you want and use, and not for stuff that collects dust. But we're just not used to that yet - for example, I have never actually had a choice before regarding interior trim - it was whatever has been available that had the options I really cared about. This modular stuff makes me totally pumped!

How often do you guys fold down seats? I do it maybe, uh, I could probably count the number of times on both hands in the last 8 years in my current car(s).

Maybe once or twice a month. Just enough to make it really annoying to have to remove something that every other car manufacturer has designed to be unobtrusive. (Unless someone else knows of any exceptions). At this rate, I'm surprised you don't have to pay extra for the steering wheel.

I really, really, want to like this car. It's becoming somewhat harder.

The rear cup-holder/storage box is a reasonable design afterthought. It's a functional and aesthetic solution for those who normally seat only two in the back seat and only occasionally need to lower both seat backs for more rear storage. I only wonder whether it will be a secure fit and whether rear passengers will inadvertently move it if they lean into it. That would be cheesy.

IMO, the front storage area is a fail, unless there are other modular elements that have not been introduced as yet (I was under the impression that all prototype elements would be presented this weekend, but obviously, that's not the case). From the photos, the revised front 'console' area offers relatively little improvement over the beta. The cubbies are better than nothing, but that's not the criterion I'd use when judging the interior. There is no hidden storage space whatsoever, meaning that sun glasses, change, ID cars, keys, etc. will be visible upon entry to the car—a sloppy look for a premium car. I'm hoping that TM will provide at least one closed module that fits into the large space that currently contains anti-slip strips. It could be similar to the rear seat storage box, allowing the driver to place small items out of site. Even better would be a full replacement center console (for those who want one) that has two or more closed storage boxes and is integrated into the center dashboard space. The top cubbie could stay, but the rest would be replaced by the full console.

I totally agree with this. The front console options that have been introduced seems like a lazy and cheap attempt to satisfy those of us that want a elegantly designed center console that would be befitting for a luxury sedan in this class, i.e. Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar. In my opinion it is only a slight improvement to what was introduced in the beta models. I wish they would make the center console that was in the Alpha version available as an option for us to consider.

The rear console with the cupholders however was well designed and looks more aesthetic and integrated to the rear cabin.

How often do you guys fold down seats? I do it maybe, uh, I could probably count the number of times on both hands in the last 8 years in my current car(s).
Often, very often.

I help organizing paintball tournaments and have to haul of lot of stuff with me.

I would love the extra cupholders in the back, I often go with friends somewhere and having cupholders in the back is a +1

I haven't been able to try to put Segways in the trunk, but in my current car it's easier if I fold down at least one rear seat. When I think about long trips and stopping to recharge at a place like a trailer park, my strategy is to bring the Segways so that we can go get a bite to eat or whatever.

Do you have kids Doug? Storage and cup holders in the back are a major wish for us.
I was just saying that for me the priority would be an armrest/cup holder that I can flip up. Storage is nice too. But I'd trade that deep console style storage for the ability to easily flip it back up into the seat (like in that Audi pic I posted). I'm still in that driving around with friends stage in my life rather than the kids stage, I guess.

^ Those were the days! Unfortunately we do need somewhere to stow the kindle, books, iPod etc. if not games and other assorted things to keep the little monsters entertained on longer trips. I mentioned elsewhere that dehydration is a risk in some areas and the kids also need to have drinks available in the back seats so I could agree with you on a flip down solution for that (although it's probably too late for Model S 1.0).

I'll have a booster seat (with its own cupholders!) in the middle for the next 3 years so, yeah, I don't personally have a need for that console in the back.

I'll cast a vote in favor of what Tesla has done in the center console area in the front. With or without those cupholder-like inserts, the rubber ridged CF/wood/piano-black trim all across from under the touchscreen all the way to the armrests didn't look cheap at all but, in fact, looked very elegant and complemented the dash very, very well! And, this was with Lacewood (which I thought was dull overall in bright sunlight). From the pics, piano black, CF and Obeche looked good too.

The rubber ridges broke up the dash material just enough to give it a slick look while ostensibly preventing scuffing and providing friction to stop things from sliding around if placed in that area.

Very well done, Tesla!

I really like the modular stuff. Why? Because I like the spartan empty interior. I hate my center console. You know what is in there? 3 credit cards. That is it. It fills up with trash some times. If I didn't have the storage space the trash would get thrown away.

I want a floor to put a bag!

I think part of the issue is that the rear seatbacks are rather thin. Seem only a few inches thick. You could probably make a shallow fold down cupholder/armrest work. But you'd probably have to abandon the storage, which is fine by me.

In other words, the seat backs may not be thick enough to accommodate something like this:

View attachment 7031
2011 Audi A8l Back Seat Arm Rest Photo 28

But I think this should be the goal.

2004_lexus_rx_picture%20(19).jpg

I added a picture of a Lexus center armrest. Both these flip down from the back rest.

I Think the issue with the Model S is that the back seat needs room for the 3rd row option As a result the middle console in the back seat will be thin if it folds down... HOWEVER...

I hope I can describe this without pictures. What if the middle seat could hinge open (like a toilet lid - sorry for the analogy). Since the floor is flat, there is plenty of room under the seat to store a middle arm rest. With the rear seat flipped up against the back rest, the arm rest could rotate out (pivot out towards the front seats). Then you put the middle seat down, and then the arm rest rotates back on top of it. That would give you a hefty middle arm rest that does not leave a loose item to float around the car and potentially get stolen by valets or who knows.

* Patent pending :wink:
[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewsim/6914391621/[/video]

Last edited:
I hope I can describe this without pictures. What if the middle seat could hinge open (like a toilet lid - sorry for the analogy). Since the floor is flat, there is plenty of room under the seat to store a middle arm rest. With the rear seat flipped up against the back rest, the arm rest could rotate out (pivot out towards the front seats). Then you put the middle seat down, and then the arm rest rotates back on top of it. That would give you a hefty middle arm rest that does not leave a loose item to float around the car and potentially get stolen by valets or who knows.
I know what you mean. That's pretty much what I meant here.
I was hoping it would just be something that just flipped down from inside the seatback (or maybe flipped up from the middle seat?).
The chargers are under the rear seats but there may still be space. Anyhow, maybe in the next model year.

I think if Tesla has shown anything it's that they listen and at least attempt to address most concerns and usually do a decent job. Hopefully they are able to work on the interior in the future to make it more feature rich but I'm fairly happy with the way it is and the add-ons they are working on.

* Patent pending :wink:

Sounds like something you might have picked up from your namesake former Soviet secret service?! ;) Ingenious!!

I think if Tesla has shown anything it's that they listen and at least attempt to address most concerns and usually do a decent job. Hopefully they are able to work on the interior in the future to make it more feature rich but I'm fairly happy with the way it is and the add-ons they are working on.

That's exactly how I feel.

I'm hoping that they continue to work on new center console options that can be retrofitted as a replacement later.

Larry

me too, this might come in ver 2.0 or the X - for now the pressent solution will do, better have the car ready asap. instead of wait for minor details to finish