Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If "Opportunity Console" means anything it should be the opportunity to try something different.

People - you're going to have to live with a frunk and a touchscreen control system not to mention electrical recharging.

And suddenly it's "Okay, but NOBODY messes with my cupholder"??

rant over.

Last edited:
I really want the phone storage thingy and the backseat cupholders (If removable in <2 min).

I also want the storage space for some coins, we still use those for parking :)

So, I want option #2. But, more USB ports is better!

^ I thought this at first also. Then I realized that everything is so good, no serious complaints about anything, that people then start to focus on things like cup holders. It's a good sign for Tesla.

I had to laugh when somebody (I believe over on the TM forum) was complaining about the quality of the Tesla merchandise sold in their stores (coffee mugs, drink tumblers, etc.). It was actually a serious rant and condemnation of Tesla. If that's what we are down to, then Tesla should have little to worry about!

I predict the nature of the discussions will change once people start to take delivery. (Meaning all the little stuff will become, well, little stuff.) But no doubt it has been invaluable input to Tesla in terms of how their potential customers think, what they focus upon, etc. And Tesla? We're happy to help!

Thanks for the new pictures of the 3 options. Here is some feedback on the choices given:

Option #1 "Shelf" is a step in the right direction. But it is completely exposed. There needs to be some type of door, cover or lid in front. Do others agree with this? Please post supporting comments if you do. While an improvement, option #1 does not address the concealed aspect of odds and ends storage people have been requesting. IMO this should be a standard, no cost option on every car.

Option #2 "Phone slot." It is not entirely clear from the photo how the phone slot option works.

Option #3 "Cup holders" work well in that location. I have them there in my current car and they are great--not too far to reach. This option should be accompanied by replacing the arm rest cup holders with a rectangular cubby of similar dimensions. The arm rest cup holders, which many feel are rather useless, become redundant in option #3 and their space would be a wonderful place for some concealed storage for change, toll tickets, breath mints, etc. Since that space is already allocated to the current cup holders no electronics or ducts would be interfered with by substituting a similar sized rectangular cubby there. If you agree that option #3 should be accompanied by replacing the current cup holders with a cubby, please post supporting comments.

Thanks for the new pictures of the 3 options. Here is some feedback on the choices given:

Option #1 "Shelf" is a step in the right direction. But it is completely exposed. There needs to be some type of door, cover or lid in front. Do others agree with this? Please post supporting comments if you do. While an improvement, option #1 does not address the concealed aspect of odds and ends storage people have been requesting. IMO this should be a standard, no cost option on every car.

Option #2 "Phone slot." It is not entirely clear from the photo how the phone slot option works.

Option #3 "Cup holders" work well in that location. I have them there in my current car and they are great--not too far to reach. This option should be accompanied by replacing the arm rest cup holders with a rectangular cubby of similar dimensions. The arm rest cup holders, which many feel are rather useless, become redundant in option #3 and their space would be a wonderful place for some concealed storage for change, toll tickets, breath mints, etc. Since that space is already allocated to the current cup holders no electronics or ducts would be interfered with by substituting a similar sized rectangular cubby there. If you agree that option #3 should be accompanied by replacing the current cup holders with a cubby, please post supporting comments.

+ 1 to ddruz on all 3 points.

woot, pics! So now for some feedback:

I feel like the shelf should be standard. It's unobtrusive and flows very well. They could do a little flip door on it for anyone who wants privacy for those items, but I think it works fine. The phone door is cool, but seems to take up a lot of space on the floor for what seems to actually be a small usable space. I'd honestly prefer to see that little door right above where the 12v outlet currently resides instead. The cup-holders in the front, I could do without. Nice idea, but the location seems like it might be a bit of a stretch (granted, I haven't seen it in person) and from the "looks" it doesn't seem like it will actually hold cups all that well (especially if they're tall and bump the shelf). Perhaps that module back where they put the phone slot would be more useful; that way I could keep my armrests in use at all times.

Still love the ribbed floor (hope it's rubber and not hard plastic) and the shelf though. Good job Tesla!

I really like the shelf below the touch screen. It looks to be big enough to put sunglasses, cell phones ect. in it. I prefer it with no door on the front, but with a rubberized non slip bottom, so items will not slide out. The phone slot also has potential, but I am not sure how it works. if it has micro usb charging available inside of the phone holder, that would be a serious plus for this design. I agree that if the front cup holders are selected, it would be nice to have the option to replace the current cup holders with a storage cubby, to give us a place to store out numerous charging station RFID tags, cell phone charging cables, ect.

I pretty much agree with Rifleman.

Love the chin cubby under the touchscreen. Please keep it as is.

The phone slot in Console 2 is neat. Now, not sure about having charging options in there though (micro USB or something else) as these things evolve over time. Keep it clean and simple.

The front cupholder grooves in Console 3 are going to be useless. I'd not want to reach forward and down practically all the way to the floor to get a drink while driving! So, as Rifleman said, concealed mini-storage there has more utility value.

Essentially asking for a combo of Console 2 and 3 but, with the cup holders in 3 replaced with concealed storage.

Don't personally need the rear armrest console.

And, I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask for the front center console to be a standard feature?!

I also like the shelf the way it is, with no door. Looks like a good place to put phone & wallet.

Personally, I'd pass on the phone slot.

The front cupholders look nice, I'd want them. I also agree that the armrest cupholders should then be converted to a rectangular storage box.

I am learning a lot reading these posts and better appreciate the difficulty designing a console to satisfy people's different needs and wants. There was mention of Tesla posting some photos, I don't believe the photos posted by mpt on the first page are those. If they are, I need to see other camera angles and shots to better visualize what Tesla is trying to do. So no comments from me on my preferences (or voting) until I see Tesla's photos that show better detail of the console and its relationship to the rest of the cabin. And thank you mpt for taking the photos.

Tommy, I think Tesla reached out to mpt to set this thread up. Remember that this thread was started early on the day (06/19) that GeorgeB made a mention of it in his final 'Inside Tesla' blog post.

I think the pics in the updated first post are essentially the official ones as for now.

Tommy, I think Tesla reached out to mpt to set this thread up. Remember that this thread was started early on the day (06/19) that GeorgeB made a mention of it in his final 'Inside Tesla' blog post.

I think the pics in the updated first post are essentially the official ones as for now.

Got it, and I missed reading the captions under the photos , I didn't realize the third photo was of cup holders, it looked like a place for change. So my bad, and hats off to mpt for securing these photos.