Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You won't be going it alone. I actually told George B the same thing at one of the events. I outlined (verbally) something similar to what you've taken the time to draw up and told him if Tesla doesn't build this, I will and make a business of it. He assured me that they're plan is to do so and to have options. I'm happy to step aside as you're clearly quite capable. I have no doubt that if Tesla doesn't build something similar to what you've designed, there'll be a nice market there for what you create. I will be first in line (can I write my check now to get CCI #1?). That said, I have fairly strong confidence that Tesla will build the right thing.

I think that you're right. I was actually thinking about this whole issue earlier today and came to the conclusion that it makes no sense for Tesla to do anything other than offer the larger, enclosed, console that people are, very clearly, interested in. What I mean by that is that they are going to put some amount of R&D into developing this Opportunity Console System and it makes no sense to develop things that they KNOW aren't what people want; they're better off not doing anything at all. My take on the early prototypes is that they're a way of figuring out if there were some folks who wanted something in between the current design and the full-on console. I'm fairly confident that Tesla knows that there's a fair number of people who want the Super-Delux console with real upholders, enclosed storage and places to stick things, they just wanted to figure out if there were others who wanted Console-Lite.

The prototypes offer very minimal storage and, from the comments that I've seen here, that will work for some of us, but it would be folly on Tesla's part not to offer a more comprehensive console. As a final note, after going over GeorgeB's interactions with us, I've come to the strong conclusion that he's an honest guy. What I mean by that, in this context, is that, if he says they're working on it, I believe that they're working on it. Now, it may not pan out the way we would all like it in the end, but I don't think that he's pulling anyone's leg.

I think that you're right. I was actually thinking about this whole issue earlier today and came to the conclusion that it makes no sense for Tesla to do anything other than offer the larger, enclosed, console that people are, very clearly, interested in. What I mean by that is that they are going to put some amount of R&D into developing this Opportunity Console System and it makes no sense to develop things that they KNOW aren't what people want; they're better off not doing anything at all. My take on the early prototypes is that they're a way of figuring out if there were some folks who wanted something in between the current design and the full-on console. I'm fairly confident that Tesla knows that there's a fair number of people who want the Super-Delux console with real upholders, enclosed storage and places to stick things, they just wanted to figure out if there were others who wanted Console-Lite.

The prototypes offer very minimal storage and, from the comments that I've seen here, that will work for some of us, but it would be folly on Tesla's part not to offer a more comprehensive console. As a final note, after going over GeorgeB's interactions with us, I've come to the strong conclusion that he's an honest guy. What I mean by that, in this context, is that, if he says they're working on it, I believe that they're working on it. Now, it may not pan out the way we would all like it in the end, but I don't think that he's pulling anyone's leg.

Lyon is right. Choice is the way of the future! They would be silly not to make a profit off of people who want more ;) The only reason I see regarding the delay is that they probably can't make it in-house? Unless it were made of aluminum...

But their goals have proven unpopular with 85% of us.

Yeah, and how many of us wanted a phone without physical buttons in 2007? Besides, what's that famous quote - that 78% of all statistics are made up? :smile:

You could say that so many people insisted that Tesla include a sunshade with the pano roof, and that's why they added one, but that's now ruined the panoramic effect for all of us. This center console is looking to be the same mass design failure, IMHO.

But their goals have proven unpopular with 85% of us. And the fact is, they should and likely are going to offer options so we can all be happy and have a choice that will, as George would say, make us smile.
I believe you are misinterpreting the poll.

Somewhere for bits and bobs 64.58%
My phone needs a home 63.19%

The 14% or so that said "No console, keep it open", I interpret to mean the current design is OK. The interesting parts are are the 35% of folks who neither need the bits & bobs or phone space. I wonder where their needs lay? Maybe that's in the nearly 21% 'big gulp' demographic? I'm not even bringing in the 23% of people who would forgo a center back seat for "more in back."

From the detailed feedback that many folks have provided within this thread we have people who would like more stuff attached to either the existing armrest/cupholder and/or more stuff under the 17" screen. Presumably those folks would like some spot to shove the purse or laptop or man bag between the seats. The full enclosed center section wasn't an explicit choice, so we're not sure if people would prefer that to a modular choice, one of the prototypes, or some combination of prototypes.

And the rear seat issue... that's a whole other bag of worms.

+1 to Soflauthor's designs again for myself. His modular approach, or the 'Ridgeline' approach could fit what many want for that center spot. I could also be fine with a larger storage piece near the 17" screen with plugs for phones, etc. I don't like the currently exposed pieces for USB keys or phone cables -- seems like an accident waiting to happen, nevermind the attractiveness for thieves.

Smorgasbord, it is my impression that Tesla will offer a number of options for the console, perhaps only one of them taking up the entire space as Solflauthor proposed for those who wish to trade off the open space for more storage. I concur with you that the most logical of all solutions is to reconfigure the space under the armrests for storage and to move the cup holders forward so both armrests and cup holders can be used concurrently, all the while retaining open space for those who wish it. We don't know how much flexibility Tesla has in this regard given they have said there are electronics under the arm rests, however.

Certainly there are many like you, myself included, who like the idea of the open space for purses, briefcases, laptops, etc. if it could be done without sacrificing some closed storage within reach of the driver for odds and ends, cup holders that can be used concurrently with the arm rests and a place for our phones. As an alternative to the full console option, and assuming Tesla cannot do much under the arm rests, how would you and others feel about the following as one (not necessarily the only) minimalist solution at the other end of the spectrum to Soflauthor's more traditional console?

Combine the following:
1. Adopt option #1, shelf under display, but add a door, lid or cover so this becomes concealed storage.
2. Adopt option #3, cup holders on the floor under the display, but make them able to accommodate multiple sized cups and deep enough so drinks don't spill. I have them here in my current car and they do indeed work. It is not not too far to reach.
3. Convert current cup holders under arm rests into a similarly sized rectangular cubby. Put a USB connector in the cubby for our phones. This is a very short wiring run from the current USB location.

This gives some concealed storage in reach of the driver, cup holders that can be used concurrently with arm rests, a covered USB cubby for phones and leaves the vast majority of the area open space for purses, briefcases, laptops, etc. It will look nearly identical to the picture of option #3 except for a door, lid or cover over the front of the shelf. This should also be extremely cheap, quick and easy for Tesla to do and I dare say could be offered as a no cost option for those preferring the open space concept.

Last edited:
In defense of Soflauthor's design and Tesla's design goals. It is my impression that the point of the open console space is to demonstrate lack of bump and gain in space by having the electric drive train. For me this is open visual space and I like it, but don't need it to be the complete space. As drawn, Soflauthor's console appears to continue to maintain a low profile with open space above, still clearly more visual space than an any ice console. Therefore, I gain storage space and I maintain appealing visual space. Having closed storage keeps the look clean.

I have no desire to throw a backpack, satchel, laptop, purse, or anything else in this space. That would look cluttered and defeats the purpose of the design for me.

I prefer the nice amount of concealed space in Soflauthors design, and yes, I do think it can accomplish the goal of the best of both worlds, which are in my opinion, a visually open space and ample concealed storage for small items.

I talked to George about this on Sunday. My take away from the conversation is that there will be a design option for a more elaborate console than we saw this weekend, like a full console. He didn't let on when all the designs would be availale for us to see but he did say it will be an add-on to what is already there. It will also take more than three to four months.

Right now my biggest concern - and I expect to get serious flak for this statement - is that the populist vote for filling up the whole space with compartments and such will wreck the original intention of the design, much like the addition of sunshades to the panoramic roof greatly enlarged the center bar, wrecking the whole advantage of having a panoramic sunroof. Let's not go overboard on the storage such that it wrecks the original design intent.

As a consumer, why should I care about the intention of the design? Especially when this design impacts usability. In my training as a software developer and architect, I was taught that valuing design considerations over usability was folly.

I am surprised by the number of people in this thread who seem to be trying to actively discourage the inclusion of a completely optional piece that would make a large number of customers happy. That statement is not aimed at you Smorgasbord, it is just a feeling I have gotten from many posters every time this issue comes up - And it has come up a lot in the past year.

As a consumer, why should I care about the intention of the design?

You're misunderstanding me. The intention of the original design was to have an open area on the floor where you could put a backpack, bag, or purse. I like that, and want to keep that. It's a usability thing. There are aesthetic considerations as well - we can debate those separately.

What's going on here is a new design intent: Build a console with compartments and cubbies so that I can only store those things that fit in those compartments. Most of that storage will be long-term, as my purse or backpack won't fit in any of the compartment. To me, this is less usable - like putting in a sunshade makes the sunroof less panoramic. It's a net loss.

What I'm proposing is keeping the original design intent of having a space on which to place a purse or backpack without cramming the passenger's footwell space, but also having some compartments on the dash as well as doing a way better job carving out space in the existing center console.

Of course, what really needs to happen is to get some door pockets going. Considering how thick the doors are, there would seem to be no excuse for that.

I see what you are saying, smorgasbord. If I were being really honest, I would say that what really irks me is the new design guru mentality that has taken over in consumer products. Apple created a new approach to UI and became enormously successful. Now everyone can say, "See you didn't think you wanted this, but you were wrong!"

It seems like the designers at Tesla are determined to try to teach us all the same lesson.

AND I need a place to keep my stuff. Traffic in the Seattle area is tough. Sometimes you are in the car for a long time. It is good to be able to reach stuff when you need it, and not have someone break your window to take it when you get out.

valuing design considerations over usability was folly.
Good design is about balancing function and form. When function loses to form, the customers will decide if that was a good decision or not.

Unless of course they have no other options.

I think some of the angst among forum members is that there "are no other options" for vehicles that meet the primary automotive characteristics of the Model S, yet the interior characteristics are lacking in some important functions.

I concur with you that the most logical of all solutions is to reconfigure the space under the armrests for storage and to move the cup holders forward so both armrests and cup holders can be used concurrently, all the while retaining open space for those who wish it. We don't know how much flexibility Tesla has in this regard given they have said there are electronics under the arm rests, however.

This would definitely be the best first step. It's hard to imagine all that space needs to be filled with ducts and wires. They may need to optimize the layout of the guts, but it seems doable. Unfortunately, it may take enough redesign to push it to 1.5 or 2.0 versions of the car.

Combine the following:
1. Adopt option #1, shelf under display, but add a door, lid or cover so this becomes concealed storage.
2. Adopt option #3, cup holders on the floor under the display, but make them able to accommodate multiple sized cups and deep enough so drinks don't spill. I have them here in my current car and they do indeed work. It is not not too far to reach.
3. Convert current cup holders under arm rests into a similarly sized rectangular cubby. Put a USB connector in the cubby for our phones. This is a very short wiring run from the current USB location.

I think this is a good compromise, barring a full redesign of the existing console under the armrests. Tesla should still provide an insert like Soflauthor's as an option for those needing more covered space. It would be cool if they could also add 2-3 pop-out cup holders on the armrest console for the backseat passengers.

I disagree. While Soflauthor's design is interesting, it is for a full center console. You will have to put your bag/purse in the passenger footwell, behind you, or in the frunk. Stealing all of the floor space between the seats for a full center console is something that Tesla's designers have actively decided against. Since we have an opportunity to do better, let's not take away all of that open space and force it into rigid compartments. Let's assume Tesla's designers have the right goals and work within those.

I agree with Smorgasbord on this. The Soflauthor design just clashes with the overall elegant interior design and minimalistic approach. It's adding multiple compartments and straight lines that just don't fit with the fluid curvy lines of the interior. A full-size center console is out of proportion and makes the interior look unbalanced. Don't like the back seat console design either -- too bulky and looks like an afterthought.

I like the option that Tesla has presented with the open shelf design. It adds a more luxury feel with the matching trim. If they would just redesign the existing armrest to be able to offer some storage underneath, and move the cup holders forward a tiny bit, I would be totally satisfied.

Just my opinion of coarse.