Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opting for December delivery changes model year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
North America is the only place in the world, that I know of, where the model year isn't the in-service year. That is if you get a new model of car in 2012 in, say, the U.K., it will be a 2012, not a 2013.

People can insist that the MY does not matter and, when it comes to Roadster owners, they may well be right. However, when I go to sell this car in three years time (my average) I believe the market will have expanded well beyond the Roadster crowd. Those considering this car on the secondary market will not be Tesla or even EV types and will not be converted to the "this is new technology" thought process. I'm most certainly not and I've had my deposit in for some time. These buyers in the future will be your normal car buyer and they will look at someone selling a MY12 versus a MY13 and think "I would rather buy a three year old car than a four year old car if the price is not too much more".

I may be wrong about this as I have been wrong many times before. However, if I'm not buying the argument and I am an early adopter and Tesla fan, I'm reasonably sure the buyers of the future will not be buying it.

People can insist that the MY does not matter and, when it comes to Roadster owners, they may well be right. However, when I go to sell this car in three years time (my average) I believe the market will have expanded well beyond the Roadster crowd. Those considering this car on the secondary market will not be Tesla or even EV types and will not be converted to the "this is new technology" thought process. I'm most certainly not and I've had my deposit in for some time. These buyers in the future will be your normal car buyer and they will look at someone selling a MY12 versus a MY13 and think "I would rather buy a three year old car than a four year old car if the price is not too much more".

I may be wrong about this as I have been wrong many times before. However, if I'm not buying the argument and I am an early adopter and Tesla fan, I'm reasonably sure the buyers of the future will not be buying it.

This may be a problem for the GENIII car, but my guess is that anyone purchasing a used Model S during the next three to five years will be more like a used Roadster purchaser than a used Corolla purchaser--not that there won't be some that will act as you say, but I don't believe it will be the majority. For myself, I'm hoping this will be the last car I'll ever buy.

Model Year/Calendar Year doesn't matter.
You do realize that a regular ICE manufacturer (Ford/chevy/Toyota/BMW) changes model year in the middle of the previous year. They have been selling 2013 models for months now. so when you buy an ICE off the lot in the near future you are probably going to get a 2012. No confusion with Tesla Dec 31 it is a 2012 Jan 1 it is a 2013. When you buy a 64-1/2 mustang it was really sold as a 65. (but the 64 1/2 are worth more money)

Contrary to popular belief, the first model year for the Ford Mustang was 1965. Mustangs produced between March 9th and July 31st of 1964 are often coined the 1964 ½ Ford Mustang by enthusiasts. Initial production of the second round of Mustangs began on August 17th, 1964. Both the original production Mustangs and the second run are technically considered 1965 Mustangs by Ford.
1964 1/2 Ford Mustang A Profile of the 1964 1/2 Mustang

Now, wouldn't you want a 2012 Tesla S

My 15th-31stdelivery has not yet produced a ViN thus I will likely get it in 2013. Taking a2012 ViN in 2013 would seem unwise given there is no upside. Only time willtell if there is an impact from the MY.

strider.... Thank you for your (!) helpful comment.

dsmith2189,
Yes, I am aware of how ICE MYs work and often shop at this time of year for a new car. This allows me to trade off the previous MY discount against thefuture hit in resale value. I normally will take the previous year as thediscount today far exceeds the back end cost of a "year older" carthree or four years down the road. In this instance, there is no discount fortaking the "year older" car so why would anyone follow that path onthe hunch that it might not make a difference on resale?

Model Year/Calendar Year doesn't matter.
You do realize that a regular ICE manufacturer (Ford/chevy/Toyota/BMW) changes model year in the middle of the previous year. They have been selling 2013 models for months now. so when you buy an ICE off the lot in the near future you are probably going to get a 2012. No confusion with Tesla Dec 31 it is a 2012 Jan 1 it is a 2013. When you buy a 64-1/2 mustang it was really sold as a 65. (but the 64 1/2 are worth more money)
dsmith2189,
Yes, I am aware of how ICE MYs work and often shop at this time of year for a new car. This allows me to trade off the previous MY discount against thefuture hit in resale value. I normally will take the previous year as thediscount today far exceeds the back end cost of a "year older" carthree or four years down the road. In this instance, there is no discount fortaking the "year older" car so why would anyone follow that path onthe hunch that it might not make a difference on resale?

I think dsmith's comments regarding the Mustang are spot on and actually swayed my thinking. I'm P#7645 and I've yet to receive a VIN, (yes.. I got the 'December' email). The past few days, I was thinking "please don't give me a VIN.. I would rather a 2013", now.. I'm not so sure. I'm also an owner of a '68 Mustang. The Mustang's first production run (as mentioned by dsmith) was 64 1/2 and as a owner/fan of Mustangs, those models are highly sought after, since there was a limited number (121k v. over 550k in 1965). People buying a Model S will likely be enthusiasts and know exactly what they're buying, and just how limited 2012 cars were. There will be lore around the Model S, and those 2012 owners will be part of it.