Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option now available on Tesla Model X store to upgrade P90D to P90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. They can do it financially, and it puts less strain on the infrastructure and less cost overall to make it a 100% software option. No reason to clog up service centers and mess up your hardware just because someone doesn't feel good about it being a software switch.
Sorry, I don't understand this point.

2. No one NEEDS the extra 1s speed. That premium is something that can command more money for Tesla to invest in the Model 3 and showing profitability to the stock market. If someone wants it for that price, they buy it. If someone doesn't want it for that price, they don't buy it.
Fair point; I agree.

3. There is a warranty on the vehicle. Turning on this option puts a huge amount of additional wear and tear on the vehicle. I don't know what the actuarial tables say, but this has to be taken into consideration. It's NOT JUST A SOFTWARE UPGRADE: you are also putting MUCH more physical, HARDWARE wear and tear on the vehicle, unlocking REAL HARDWARE capability changes. Even though all that hardware is already installed and in use in a more limited capacity, it is the hardware capability that you are using when they flick that SOFTWARE change.
I checked with the service department when I took my X in to get the doors repaired (3rd time in the service center for that problem) and they said it was software + a new fuse that could handle higher amperage. So you're right, it's not just software. And I guess your point is that the $10k premium is to cover the risk of more wear & tear during the warranty period? Makes sense. Also, why all the CAPS? No need to yell :)

4. For maximum monetary gain, I'd be in favor of Tesla reducing the cost of the Ludicrous option upgrade over the next decade. If they lower the cost $750 every 6 months for new cars and for every 6 months an old car has existed and an additional $500 for every 20,000 miles the car has driven with a floor of $3,000 until the warranty expired and then there would be no floor price (just the miles and age prices), then a 60,000 mile 2 year old car Ludicrous upgrade would cost $5,500 to upgrade, and a 100,000 mile 3 year old car Ludicrous upgrade would cost only $3,000 to upgrade, and a no-warranty 4 year old car with 80,000 miles on it would cost $2,000 to upgrade (all for cars purchased today), and for cars purchased two years from now, drop another $3,000 from that price (so $7,000 at the new order page, with all the above continual discounts too, but still with that floor of $3,000 until warranty expired).
That's a cool idea. Elon, are you reading?

I've always hated Oracle. I think Oracle has done a lot of bad things. I think you experienced a lot of those bad things, and are putting your prejudices of Oracle's approach onto another platform. I'm not saying Tesla is any saint, but they have to be measured in their own right, not according to the acts of another company.
I'm not pushing my frustration with Oracle onto Tesla, just relating my feelings. I can disambiguate my feelings :)