Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

options for reducing dashboard glare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 4 w/ the X. It was very bright and sunny out this afternoon. DW is having an issue w/ glare. She's prone to migraines and is concerned this will contribute.

The issue is the grid-like part of the dash near where it meets the windshield. That part seems fairly reflective and you can in fact see it while driving in the sun. Does this bother anyone else? Any suggestions for low-glare dash covers to stick up there? Is it in fact a vent we'd be covering up?

really? that cuts down on the amount of light entering the car by enough to reduce the reflection off the dash materially and yet doesn't make it hard to see out the front window at night and such? or are the tints polarized or something?

It does not. 75% tint is so see through that most people don't even notice it is there. But it reduces the reflectivity of the glass, which should help with your issue.

Day 4 w/ the X. It was very bright and sunny out this afternoon. DW is having an issue w/ glare. She's prone to migraines and is concerned this will contribute.

The issue is the grid-like part of the dash near where it meets the windshield. That part seems fairly reflective and you can in fact see it while driving in the sun. Does this bother anyone else? Any suggestions for low-glare dash covers to stick up there? Is it in fact a vent we'd be covering up?

To answer your other question yes, it’s a vent and speakers. I would not cover it up

I noticed this day 1. Super annoying. Not sure why the car was not engineered to reduce this glare. Polarized sunglasses do the trick. But i dont always wear them.

Not sure why there couldnt have been some antireflective coating or material on the dash.

I found the same issue with the new 2022 refreshed model x. Did you get the issue resolved?

Attachments

• IMG_6983.PNG
    IMG_6983.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
I noticed this day 1. Super annoying. Not sure why the car was not engineered to reduce this glare. Polarized sunglasses do the trick. But i dont always wear them.

Not sure why there couldnt have been some antireflective coating or material on the dash.
The anti-reflective coating would need to be on the glass, not the dash. But that probably opens a whole can of worms. I cannot think of a vehicle I have owned in the last fifty years that did not do that to a degree. It depends on the lighting. It is possible you could super clean the glass, particularly the inside, and reduce it some.

Why not apply a thin piece of black film temporarily to the top of the grill and see if it helps? It also
may turn out to be totally necessary during other seasons. I put a thin piece of black plastic along the top of the driver’s window for the same reason. I almost did not buy the car because Of this (glare) but the solution is easy. She may also benefit from getting the sunscreen that used to come with older model Model Xs. It helps me a lot with glare and I use it much of the time. I have only factory tint on my 2019 Raven Model X.

I found a nice dashboard cover for my wife's 2018 Model 3 on Amazon with cutouts for the vents.

Why not apply a thin piece of black film temporarily to the top of the grill and see if it helps? It also
may turn out to be totally necessary during other seasons. I put a thin piece of black plastic along the top of the driver’s window for the same reason. I almost did not buy the car because Of this (glare) but the solution is easy. She may also benefit from getting the sunscreen that used to come with older model Model Xs. It helps me a lot with glare and I use it much of the time. I have only factory tint on my 2019 Raven Model X.
I have applied matte cleaning treatment which did not work. As a photographer, I have used matte clear tint to eliminate product glare. It does reduce some of the glare for photography. I will give it a try next week. the last resort is to get a dash cover or prescription polarized sunglasses.

I cant believe 120k car gives me this issue...