TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

options for reducing dashboard glare?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by acal, Aug 26, 2018.

1. acal

acal Member

Day 4 w/ the X. It was very bright and sunny out this afternoon. DW is having an issue w/ glare. She's prone to migraines and is concerned this will contribute.

The issue is the grid-like part of the dash near where it meets the windshield. That part seems fairly reflective and you can in fact see it while driving in the sun. Does this bother anyone else? Any suggestions for low-glare dash covers to stick up there? Is it in fact a vent we'd be covering up?

2. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

windshield tint.

• Like x 1
  3. acal

acal Member

really? that cuts down on the amount of light entering the car by enough to reduce the reflection off the dash materially and yet doesn't make it hard to see out the front window at night and such? or are the tints polarized or something?

4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

It does not. 75% tint is so see through that most people don't even notice it is there. But it reduces the reflectivity of the glass, which should help with your issue.

• Like x 1
  5. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

I have 90% tint and it does not help this at all. It does bother me as well. I just use polarized sunglasses. It will eliminate the reflection entirely. Best suggestion I can make unfortunately.

• Informative x 1
  6. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

To answer your other question yes, it’s a vent and speakers. I would not cover it up

7. dethman

dethman Member

I noticed this day 1. Super annoying. Not sure why the car was not engineered to reduce this glare. Polarized sunglasses do the trick. But i dont always wear them.

Not sure why there couldnt have been some antireflective coating or material on the dash.