Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order A Y In Canada And Move To States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I really want to pre-order a Model Y but not sure about how the final delivery will be handled if I move to the states after ordering it. I'm planning to move there closer to the end of next year.

Has anyone gone through this situation with previous models?

Appreciate your help

Hi all,

I really want to pre-order a Model Y but not sure about how the final delivery will be handled if I move to the states after ordering it. I'm planning to move there closer to the end of next year.

Has anyone gone through this situation with previous models?

Appreciate your help

Your best bet is to contact Tesla and explain it to them. Canadian deliveries probably won't happen for a few months after the US launch. Are you going to stay in the US for a long time, or is it temporary? If long-term/permanent, then wait until you establish yourself in the US. There are some differences between US and Canadian models anyway (physically, I think there's the DRLs, the bumpers, and some other minor things, but also differences in the software - Canadian models don't get the full abilities (at this point) of things like Summon, and the enhanced AutoPilot/FSD functions might be later on and curtailed again).

Your best bet is to contact Tesla and explain it to them. Canadian deliveries probably won't happen for a few months after the US launch. Are you going to stay in the US for a long time, or is it temporary? If long-term/permanent, then wait until you establish yourself in the US. There are some differences between US and Canadian models anyway (physically, I think there's the DRLs, the bumpers, and some other minor things, but also differences in the software - Canadian models don't get the full abilities (at this point) of things like Summon, and the enhanced AutoPilot/FSD functions might be later on and curtailed again).
That's helpful! I'm planning to work there for 3-4 years, so I guess buying/ordering it from US will be a better deal

That's helpful! I'm planning to work there for 3-4 years, so I guess buying/ordering it from US will be a better deal

If you are planning to return to Canada with your car, be aware that Tesla is not currently supporting the modifications need to make US cars importable to Canada. If that does not change, you would need to sell a US purchased vehicle and buy a Canadian one when you move back. There is no issue I am aware of regarding bringing a Canadian spec Tesla to the US (however, there are likely fees involved).

Things may be changing on the import to Canada front:
Twitter

The only way it changes is if all countries adopt exactly the same regulations across the board. I don't think the US and Canada have it yet - things like bumpers, DRLs, etc.

Odds are doing that would result in roadblocks to see progress as everyone will have an opinion, especially safety standards (hence why we get an inept version of Summon).

The only way it changes is if all countries adopt exactly the same regulations across the board. I don't think the US and Canada have it yet - things like bumpers, DRLs, etc.

Odds are doing that would result in roadblocks to see progress as everyone will have an opinion, especially safety standards (hence why we get an inept version of Summon).

If Tesla officially supports the component swaps needed to make a US build Canadian or other country) compliant, then there is no issue.
For instance, the Roadster is import supported.
Basically, they need to do a BOM comparison between the two versions and create a work instruction to implement those changes.