Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order fee refund

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to get a order fee refund? If I ordered through existing inventory and canceled my other order, would tesla refund the first order fee?

I would call your SA and speak with Tesla that you want to buy from existing inventory.

Unfortunately you will probably have to speak to several folks. If you can speak with someone in existing inventories and are ready to buy I feel you may have success.

Without going into detail I have had Tesla refund me in an order but it took some time.

If you don't it is unlikely they will refund a non-refundable order fee (which is not the same as a refundable order fee, order deposit, or refundable pre-order payment).

Last edited:
This is a typical Tesla agreement ... Don't know if it has to be "physical".

Order Process; Cancellation; Changes. After you submit your completed order, we will begin the process of preparing and coordinating your Vehicle delivery. At this point, you agree that any paid Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation fee have been earned. If you cancel your order or breach this Agreement and we cancel your order, you agree that we may retain as liquidated damages the Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee, to
the extent not otherwise prohibited by law.

Reactions: morbidz
What’s missing from this discussion is the email Tesla sent on August 26, 2021 stating the following:

“If you are interested in taking delivery as early as September, please visit our inventory page and search for Model 3 Standard Range Plus vehicles. If you choose to order, your original order fee can be applied to the purchase price of your vehicle upon delivery.”

Based on this, they owe the refund but aren’t applying it.

Reactions: whiskeylover
It kinda depends on what they call it. They are not calling it a deposit (which in many cases would have to be refundable). Just like @dduffey shows from teslas statement in post 9, tesla doesnt consider this a deposit. They consider it an "order fee" that they have earned as soon as it is paid.

If they decide to refund it, they dont have to (unless compelled to by a lawyer or something). There isnt any way someone can hire a lawyer to get back that $100 order fee and spend less than $100 to do so, unless they are a lawyer themselves and think they have a case here.

If I cancel my order, I will pursue a chargeback I think. When they took my money, the website EDD was Sept/Oct. It’s now into February with no VIN yet. In all that time, conditions have changed. Interest rates have gone up, luxury tax is on the horizon.

I will pursue chargeback on the basis that they took my $100 in bad faith, claiming delivery in Sept/Oct which they never had any intention or ability to honour. I don’t need the $100 but it’s the principle. They’ll keep doing it if people don’t push back.

Still hoping to get the car but patience and time are running out.

I attempted to order a M3P tonight and had issues with the web site. Ended up with two RNs and thus two deposits for the same configuration within two and half hours. I did not talk to a person yet at Tesla, but two different online chat folks basically said too bad for you. I already had completed the purchase for one of the vehicles. I called the bank and spoke to the fraud department about the second, duplicate charge. They immediately suggested eliminating the charge, (labeled it a fraudulent charge) and said I would not be held accountable for it, closed the account, and I have new cards coming my way. I guess it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Wow, this is where policy fails. You put in two orders and immediately tried to cancel one, that seems legit to me. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I saw someone who was also trying to get e refund for FSD subscription when his car was waiting for service (not drivable) and Tesla would do nothing because "policy".

Policy, when it is a bad one, is never a good excuse.

Wow, this is where policy fails. You put in two orders and immediately tried to cancel one, that seems legit to me. Sorry you have to deal with that.

I saw someone who was also trying to get e refund for FSD subscription when his car was waiting for service (not drivable) and Tesla would do nothing because "policy".

Policy, when it is a bad one, is never a good excuse.

To be fair- that dude let the subscription renew then got mad when Tesla reminded him of the fact HE could've cancelled it instead.

There's nothing lost cancelling it- you still keep any time left in the month you paid for (his initial excuse on not cancelling was he didn't want to lose the remaining days in the month--- but you don't, and that's written into the terms)... if you cancel when going in for service that might be a while that lets you avoid being billed for the next month if the car might be out of service for part of it.

Then when you get it back you can just start a new month.

So that's almost entirely user error, not a problem with Tesla.

Same applies to MANY subscription services-- if you cancel you get the remainder of the period you paid for, but no refund- if you don't cancel they keep charging you even if you're not using the service.

I am just saying, if someone has a 100k+ vehicle in service and a monthly subscription that went unused during that time I would have refunded it and cancelled it at the customer's request.

Of course he could have read the terms and cancelled it earlier and Tesla could have stuck to their repair schedule.

Does Tesla "have" to or need to? No.