Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order on hold until March, email today order will be cancelled?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That might be their current policy, but there is no set limit to the delay in the older contracts that they are threating to cancel prior to getting a EDD/VIN. Under those old contracts once you get a EDD/VIN assigned the contract states that you have 3 months to take delivery before they will cancel your order.

I've bought 3 Teslas in as many years. In fact, in 2019, the period was knocked down to 7 days for a bit, except if you missed that, they just refunded your order fee. Now they keep it.

I've bought 3 Teslas in as many years. In fact, in 2019, the period was knocked down to 7 days for a bit, except if you missed that, they just refunded your order fee. Now they keep it.
Careful, you're going to upset The Delay Squad and get thumbs downed.

Put my order on hold for a month as well, after getting a VIN assigned in mid-Nov. Be interesting to see if they unilaterally remove the hold on 12/15 and try deliver a car before end of year. Irrespective of tax incentive / no tax incentive, and how Tesla handles it, you won't see me coming to this forum complaining about how "Tesla screwed me over" and looking for sympathy. I'll be equally happy to have a Tesla in the driveway for Christmas, or sometime early next year.

These complicated narratives about vacations, and family situations needing other vehicles etc are quite laughable in terms of "justification" for being upset. Expecting Tesla to adjust their operating model for each bespoke situation is irrational. I'll wait while you find another car dealer / manufacturer that is going to accommodate you vs. selling the car to the next person up, while concurrently honoring a price quote after you decline delivery, and they've raised pricing or added market value to the sticker.

Hold was automatically removed last night and I got a VIN this morning and a text this evening to schedule delivery for my M3P. F**k me lol. Tesla sure seems to be moving quick for these old orders.

I don't want another car right just yet (was originally aiming to take delivery around February). I'm not going to take delivery, so I'll let you all know what happens next.
Then you shouldn’t have ordered….

So many super salty people here. Don’t be mad that you didn’t think to lock in an order at a lower price and leverage existing strategies to try to save a buck. I see nothing wrong with this considering my SA told me back in March that I should lock in the price and he could hold my order for as long I needed to take delivery. I only wish I locked in March and not May to save $2k more. There are plenty of people who want their car now and either don’t care about the tax credit or aren’t knowledgeable about it. I understand people may be bitter about having to pay more for something than someone else but that’s how it works with many items you purchase including cars that you purchase from a dealer.

I mean if you're going to double down hard on the terms of the purchase agreement, you should double check some of their wording that the 'lawyers' wrote. Tesla gave them an out on pretty much any of their contracts if they wanted to.

It's stated "We may also cancel your order and refund your Order Fee, Order Deposit and Transportation Fee if we discontinue a product, feature or option after the time you place your order or if we determine that you are acting in bad faith". The "acting in bad faith" is their cop-out, and I feel like its vaguely worded enough that they can use it to get out of any contract if they really wanted to (especially if someone like you or me has consistently pushed their order back). If they cancel your contract (if you indeed did put your vehicle back on hold after receiving the December 2nd e-mail telling you to not do that), I'm pretty sure that's a good enough indication for them to check off the box for acting in bad faith.

I was in the same boat as you, but decided to not gamble away the lower price of my vehicle for a potential rebate (that would literally equate to the cost of what I'm saving).

Furthermore, the guy who I talked to in person at the store today (same guy who I spoke to last week) gave me some more information about this program. If you were tagged in the December 2nd e-mail, it looks like the system will be doing periodic sweeps automatically throughout the system after this date. That is to say, if somebody took their order off hold and then put it back on hold again after December 2 in an attempt to dodge the first 'sweep' of cancellations this method wont work (because pretty much any sales advisor can put your order back on hold, and pretend to be blind to any consequences that might result from this). They pretty much plan to continue doing periodic checkups between now and the end of the year to see if the tagged accounts end up on hold at any point, and if they do, your order is toast.

Also, I should probably add I have no idea if you received the hard cancellation December 2 e-mail, or just one of the soft cancellations checking to see if you're still alive.
Nothing you've stated regarding Tesla's position or actions surprises me. All is expected, as they're apparently serious about getting their house back in order.
It would be better if Tesla issued notices directly rather than leveraging the WasteNet rumor blogs to do their work.
I do not begrudge them anything on this, and people complaining about having their feet held to the fire of reality have little sympathy from me.
However, both sides can have legitimate arguments. Tesla has enabled the current situation, and it would be adult of them to clarify their position.

I personally plan on doing exactly as you have - go to the SC, sit down with my SA, and candidly outline what/how/when.
I might wait first for their demand letter, but I'm not needing the urgency either.
I'm fully prepared to act responsibly. But I'm also going to protect my interests. Either way, I'm personally fine with the outcome.

So many super salty people here. Don’t be mad that you didn’t think to lock in an order at a lower price and leverage existing strategies to try to save a buck. I see nothing wrong with this considering my SA told me back in March that I should lock in the price and he could hold my order for as long I needed to take delivery. I only wish I locked in March and not May to save $2k more. There are plenty of people who want their car now and either don’t care about the tax credit or aren’t knowledgeable about it. I understand people may be bitter about having to pay more for something than someone else but that’s how it works with many items you purchase including cars that you purchase from a dealer.
As someone who hasn't played hold games (mainly because I didn't know it could be played since I was not on this forum before ordering), what I am super salty about is Tesla forcing vehicles on people who don't want it right now instead of just going through the non hold line and finding people who do. Why am I being pushed from December to next year to make room for people who don't really want the car in December?

As someone who hasn't played hold games (mainly because I didn't know it could be played since I was not on this forum before ordering), what I am super salty about is Tesla forcing vehicles on people who don't want it right now instead of just going through the non hold line and finding people who do. Why am I being pushed from December to next year to make room for people who don't really want the car in December?
The same reason they’ve held $6-10,000 from multitudes of owners for what has essentially amounted to vaporware.

I think you are misreading “Unsympathetic” for pouring salt in people’s wounds.

This was predictable.

It is the most fair way to deal with this.

Mentioned this above. Unless you move the Delayers back in line where the people who are moving forward in line currently are, you screw over everyone in the middle as their EDD gets moved back.

How do you assign these slots? Start sending out tons of emails and moving people in front of others waiting for delivery? I don’t think January deliver people are going to move forward, so they get pushed back.

Why should Tesla invest a bunch of money on system changes to manage a problem caused by a few people trying to game the system?

Tesla has an 11 month customer backlog, lets not pretend like a handful of orders are creating any meaningful impact to the queue; they're not.
We are pretending that it’s reasonable for Tesla to cater to a those same few people so why not indulge all the way?

That’s ultimately the thing here. “Tesla” has no idea what anyone’s individual case is. They are setting and enforcing broad policies trying to do the most fair thing to the broadest number of people.

We are pretending that it’s reasonable for Tesla to cater to a those same few people so why not indulge all the way?

That’s ultimately the thing here. “Tesla” has no idea what anyone’s individual case is. They are setting and enforcing broad policies trying to do the most fair thing to the broadest number of people.
How is putting people on hold in front of the line fair to the people already in the line? Do people in a real line get to leave it and rejoin right in front?

This only makes sense when you see it from Tesla’s point of view. They want to get the pending orders with deepest discount from current price off their books either buy picking up (good) or getting cancelled (better). Fairness for customers don’t come into picture.

How is putting people on hold in front of the line fair to the people already in the line? Do people in a real line get to leave it and rejoin right in front?

This only makes sense when you see it from Tesla’s point of view. They want to get the pending orders with deepest discount from current price off their books either buy picking up (good) or getting cancelled (better). Fairness for customers don’t come into picture.

To me the fairness issue comes into play when you start thinking of who is going to replace the Delayers in the queue and where the Delayers end up in the queue at the end of this. Any time you start talking about reshuffling other people in the queue to suit the needs of a few people holding out for **insert goodie here**, it starts to stink. And the only way you can give delayers whatever goodie it is they are delaying for, you end up taking that goodie away from someone who paid more.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes, I received that same email.

I kept it simple and said "I plan to keep my order. Do not cancel it." They said "Okay" and my order (and hold date) remained unchanged.
when does your hold date expire? Mine expires on the January 15th and just got the email about click "I'm Ready" before December 9th. I talked to a local SA and he recommended clicking "I'm Ready" on December 8th and he still estimated a Jan-Feb delivery date. Not sure if I trust that though.

Last edited: