Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I was able to order a Y that the rep found in stock and now I'm scrambling around to move some money around to pay for this upgrade (from a 2020 Y) and FSD transfer. He also said that the FSD could be removed up to a week before delivery. How did you know that the FSD got transferred? Did you try and use it and the car said "Sorry, no can do"?
Your new order is submitted with FSD selected. So you'll get FSD on the new car anyway.

IMO the worst thing that can happen is that they forgets or fails to remove FSD from old car & remove FSD price (not option) from new order. But you can always talk with them if this ever happens.

Can someone post their invoice/mvpa with tax, $500 referral bonus and FSD transfer completed? I'm trying to finalize my loan and really don't want to try do so the day before delivery. Should be able to just calculate the final cost myself based on the order agreement right?

Seeing conflicting reports about whether you pay tax on the 15k fsd price or not. Should I calculate tax before or after the 15k discount?

Is there any other fees that get added to the invoice other than taxes? I see destination fee and order fee only at the moment

Can someone post their invoice/mvpa with tax, $500 referral bonus and FSD transfer completed? I'm trying to finalize my loan and really don't want to try do so the day before delivery. Should be able to just calculate the final cost myself based on the order agreement right?

Seeing conflicting reports about whether you pay tax on the 15k fsd price or not. Should I calculate tax before or after the 15k discount?

Is there any other fees that get added to the invoice other than taxes? I see destination fee and order fee only at the moment
Besides Destination fee, in California, we've got these Non-Tesla fees: Registration Amount ($315), License Fee ($432), Registration filing fee ($33) , Tire fee ($7) and state tax

Besides Destination fee, in California, we've got these Non-Tesla fees: Registration Amount ($315), License Fee ($432), Registration filing fee ($33) , Tire fee ($7) and state tax
These fees depends on the car price. I see a big difference before & after the $15000 credit.

So yes it's hard to use someone else's as estimate, as it also vary by your state / city etc

Reactions: pilotSteve
When does the FSD transfer take place and when can I expect to see a $15K credit on the invoice? How many days before the delivery date?

Obviously, I'm not going to (and can't) pay for the car if the full $15K option is on there.

Thanks
My delivery date is Friday and the FSD transfer took place this morning and the credit shows on my final purchase agreement.

Anyone get a premature “payment complete” on their account with a negative balance? I haven’t received a trade in offer, had FSD subtracted, or filled out the loan application yet and it already closed the payment tab as complete. Delivery is Saturday.

I just picked up my new Y Performance after doing the FSD transfer. I learned a lot from this process. The hardest part was timing the sale of my 2018 Model 3 LR. Your Model 3 has to stay in your account until the FSD transfer is completed. I ended up selling mine to a 3rd party car buying service yesterday afternoon. I kept the Model 3 in my account until I completed my delivery. I was told you can remove it once FSD has been taken off your current car, but I wasn't going to risk that. Everything was very stressful and you need to be ready for that if the sale of your current Tesla hinges on you being able to pay part/all of the current Tesla's cost. Otherwise, you'd want to plan to take out a temporary loan until you get the funds from the sale. Local dealerships were telling me it was going to take a month to get my equity because they won't release it until they get the released title after paying of the remaining portion of my loan. I went with a company that immediately wired me my equity after I dropped the car off.
This most closely matches my experience so far as well. Delivery date is still two weeks out but the order agreement hasn't been updated to reflect the transfer nor has anything actually happened on my M3. Lucky my bonus is coming around the same time since I have to keep stalling the third-party sale... Stressful indeed!

Circling back - delivery is tomorrow. Texted Tesla this morning with a polite "Less than 24hrs! Please help!" They replied quickly, said the transfer request was showing as pending on my account and they'd check with the Order Ops team. Maybe 45 mins later the app updated with the $15,500 referral credit, my old car rebooted, and everything was ready to go. The referral comes off before taxes and in some really weird fluke of math I haven't chased down, the app says they now owe me $2... 🤷‍♂️

For what it's worth, my old car is a 2017 S which was before Autopilot was standard. They rolled the car back to just Autopilot, not all the way back to nothing.

Reactions: Pricedm
My EDD is Aug 16-23 but I have a buyer now for my M3. Is there a way to transfer the FSD now?
Nope…it won’t happen until about 72 hours before your schedule pickup (if you’re lucky). Mine didn’t happen until less than 24 hours before and I had to pressure Tesla to do it. You either need to find a patient buyer or not sell it until you are literally about to pick up the car. I sold mine 24 hours before pickup right after my FSD transferred.

Reactions: Pricedm
Nope…it won’t happen until about 72 hours before your schedule pickup (if you’re lucky). Mine didn’t happen until less than 24 hours before and I had to pressure Tesla to do it. You either need to find a patient buyer or not sell it until you are literally about to pick up the car. I sold mine 24 hours before pickup right after my FSD transferred.
Confirming this is what I was told 8/2 at my local service center. Both new and current/old car must be on your Tesla account to transfer FSD.

Currently going through this process, with delivery scheduled for Saturday. Today, the offer sheet was updated with the $15,500 referral credit prior to the taxes, so tax was adjusted to reflect correctly as well. Current car, M3LR, updated today and showed the message in the attached picture.

The only hiccup I’ve had in the process was their trade-in offer. Original estimate trade-in at the start of the process was $21,000 - $23,000. Final trade-in offer was $13,300. Had to reject that and get offers from CarMax, Carvana etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    894.3 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: pilotSteve
Currently going through this process, with delivery scheduled for Saturday. Today, the offer sheet was updated with the $15,500 referral credit prior to the taxes, so tax was adjusted to reflect correctly as well. Current car, M3LR, updated today and showed the message in the attached picture.

The only hiccup I’ve had in the process was their trade-in offer. Original estimate trade-in at the start of the process was $21,000 - $23,000. Final trade-in offer was $13,300. Had to reject that and get offers from CarMax, Carvana etc.
What were the other offers?
That sounds like a trade-in bait and switch.

My initial trade-in quote was $30k for my 2018 P3D with FSD (as of a few days ago). I haven’t proceeded further but if they’re going to drop it by $10k on the actual trade-in, due to removing FSD, what’s the point of the FSD transfer “offer?”

Tesla's online trade-in offer for me was $23,600-25,400 and their final offer was $23,100. I think that was because I had gone into the showroom and the person I was working with put in some chat asking for a trade-in offer for me. A lot of other employees were doing the same because it was request after request being sent into the group chat. We had to submit mine 3 times because it kept getting overlooked. We finally got the offer and it was $23,300. Since we did it that way and I ordered an inventory car right there, I never had to submit pictures or do anything to get the final trade-in offer a few days before my delivery date. That final offer was only $200 less. I'm guessing that's because of the extra miles I had put on the car.

I ended up getting numerous quotes. The KBB Cash Offer and Car Buyer USA were the highest. Both of those were higher than if I had traded in with Tesla and gotten the tax savings for trading in. I ended up going with Car Buyer USA because they immediately wired me my equity from the car. All the KBB Cash Offer dealers were going to make me wait until they actually received the title to get me the equity. That wasn't going to work. With Car Buyer USA, I was also able to set up the drop off to be less than 24 hours before my delivery so that I could make sure the FSD transferred correctly first. It was an extremely stressful process. But now that I have the car, I am so happy. So many improvements since I got my 2018 Model 3.

Doing this FSD transfer and timing the sale of your current car correctly is not for the faint of heart!