Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order saturday, pickup tuesday? Is it a reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, new to the forum.

I actually had a Kuga Phev on order but due to the Fire risk recall with no fix on the horizon. And total radio silence by Ford I decicded to go Full EV and ordered a Model 3 SR+ 18 inch. Roughly same price as the Kuga so a no brainer really.

Finance approved quickly and trade in price was about what I was expecting.

I had a look at my account just now and It says delivery is scheduled for Tuesday 29th September. 2 days from now!!
I was expecting November so this i surprising. I've not had an email yet but i guess that will come soon.

Does this fast turnaround mean I'm getting a rejected cars that potentially has panel gaps and other defects. Are they trying to push it onto an unsuspecting new customer?

I'm new to Tesla's and I have heard of some quality issues so this fast turnaround is making me a bit nervous. Maybe I shouldn't. Has anyone else had such fast turnaround from order to delivery?

Excited, but nervous! :)

Does this fast turnaround mean I'm getting a rejected cars that potentially has panel gaps and other defects. Are they trying to push it onto an unsuspecting new customer?

It certainly means excess stock for the model spec you ordered, but there can be many reasons for that, the most obvious being that Tesla simply built too many.

So hopefully nothing out of the ordinary.

Reactions: ringi
It could also mean that someone put down a deposit but did not follow through with their purchase (without ever getting to a collection day). Don’t worry about it - go, take a look and don’t feel pressured to take the car no matter what it’s pre-purchase history is.

Reactions: JS77
Loads of SR+ became available towards the end of last week and they will be desperate to shift their current batch of vehicles before quarter end next week.

Sounds fine, check the car carefully and then don’t forget to follow ship tracking for the next quarter as a penalty for having no ordering / waiting pain whatsoever :)

Hope it all goes well and enjoy !

They build stock and match orders to it rather than build orders. Pick one combination and you might wait 2 minths, pick another and it’s virtually next day, it’s just a reflection if what’s about. If you buy from the new inventory listings it’s more likely to be sooner than later.

There’s no risk to you really.

Check the car out, if there’s anything you’re unhappy with make sure you draw attention to it. It can all be fixed, so it really just depends on your comfort level as to whether you’d want to outright reject it. I would say that rejection is the exception rather than the norm, but equally 100% perfection is not likely either.

I would say that there’s probably two schools of thought on this stuff. You only tend to hear about the bad experiences, Tesla are delivering thousands of cars. On the flip side, the people that have had problems have usually had things that would never pass a traditional manufacture PDI.

I went in with eyes wide open and was prepared to accept some blemishes with an understanding I’d have to get them resolved, They have been, for the most part, and it’s been a perfectly hassle free experience.

• Informative
Reactions: ringi and Beady3647
Thanks for everyone's responses. I'm a bit more at ease now. 3 days from order to pickup is not the norm for new cars. But I know Tesla is always pushing for quarter end sales which helps the stock price. I'm a Tesla shareholder since 2013 so in a way they are paying for my car :).

Now I just gotta clear the trade in and sort out insurance. Happy days hopefully :)

Reactions: Durzel
I'm a Tesla shareholder since 2013 so in a way they are paying for my car :).

I put £4000 down very early on for an S then retrieved it back due to a parting of the ways with my now ex. Did receive some nice freebies including tee shirt and mugs along with an electric model Roadster though.

Later put money down on the M3 and now have one but with hindsight, I should have put the money into shares! :mad::)

Hello, new to the forum.
I actually had a Kuga Phev on order but due to the Fire risk recall with no fix on the horizon. And total radio silence by Ford I decicded to go Full EV and ordered a Model 3 SR+ 18 inch. Roughly same price as the Kuga so a no brainer really.

Exactly what I did, ordered a kuga phev and cancelled for the same reasons. I quickly came to my senses and subsequently ordered a stock m3 sr+ on the 21st and am picking up tomorrow, assuming all goes well.

Have a look at the Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet.

Last six digits of the vin on the car I chose looks to be around end august 2020 based on the data.

Exactly what I did, ordered a kuga phev and cancelled for the same reasons. I quickly came to my senses and subsequently ordered a stock m3 sr+ on the 21st and am picking up tomorrow, assuming all goes well.

Have a look at the Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet.

Last six digits of the vin on the car I chose looks to be around end august 2020 based on the data.
Wow those VINs go up quick :D. I ordered from inventory at the end of August (it just appeared and was in transit, came in on the Glovis Sigma, I believe) and have a vin 776XXX Damn, better trade it in for an 800 vin!

Well....I'm currently sitting in the lounge having inspected the car. No big issued that I could find. Panels looked good, paint is fine, no lose interior etc.

However....The left camera isn't working. They suspect that it will be fixed by installing the latest software update. So I'm hanging around in the lounge for 30 minutes whilst they're doing that. I was expecting to hang around anyway so i brought some headphones :).

Not a lot of people here, no queuing, straight in.

If it wasn't for this forum I would have a checklist! Camera not working is a glaringly obvious fault.

Anyway, if it's not fixed it will need to be booked in.

I'll update this post once I'm all done.

I do remember creeping out of the SC on that first day, chill mode on, senses on high alert. Its exciting, hope you get to take it home today!

I had traveled from Edinburgh down to Manchester for an end of quarter special after waiting 2+ years for a car, so was pretty happy to be driving away that day.

Only advice I can give is don't drive off in Chill. Just go with a light touch on the throttle. Chill sucks and makes you feel like you are in a pedalo to get it moving. It has its place, but driving it for the first time probably isn't it.

• Funny
Reactions: eyedub
Just to close the thread out (I hate it when people ask questions on forums and don't let us know the outcome).

The car is now my drive! No quality issues that I could see, nor any rattling when driving panels where straight etc. Everything seemed to be in order. It also has 2 mud flaps in the boot, not sure how to put them on but I guess I'll have to find out. So that's the good news!

Outsanding Issue
However, the software update didn't fix the left camera, but the technician said that the Autopilot needed to calibrate over 40-60 miles and the car potentially needs to "reset itself over night"... Whatever that means. I've done 55 miles and still not working. I'll give it to 100 miles and I'll contact the service centre, hopefull it's a mobile fix and no need to go back to the center. Luckily I'm only around 30 minutes away so no biggie if I do. There was another car that had the excact same problem as me so i'm hoping this is just a calibration/reset issue.

The collection
When I arrived at 10:30 it was fairly empty, just a couple of other people. They apparently had 60 cars for delivery today and 100 tomorrow. There was one person there who had to reject their car as it had a scraped/damaged front. Presumably from someone moving the car and nudging into something. I felt so sorry for them as it seemed like they'd come quite a distance. I hope Tesla compensates them somehow.

Trade in experience
I traded in my old car and to my surprise they didn't even look at it, let alone open the doors or drive it!! All they wanted me to do was to point at it through the window.........They didn't even bother looking at the paperwork for it. It could have been a dud and they wouldn't know. The trade in was actually in perfect condition and has never missed a beat so whoever buys it will get a cracking car. But it was nevertheless strange to not have it inspected.

The feeling of a new car!!
When I got onto the M40 I did what most other new owners do, floored it! (in a straight line and not over 80). Oh my did that put a smile on my face! This is the CHEAPEST and SLOWEST Tesla??!! I feel like driving a video game where you can nip in and out of lanes and overtake cars with ease. Not that I intend to do that a I'm a father of 2.

Bottom line, I'm a happy camper! And thankful that I found this forum. I'm sure I'll have loads of questions.

Peace out!

Outsanding Issue
However, the software update didn't fix the left camera, but the technician said that the Autopilot needed to calibrate over 40-60 miles and the car potentially needs to "reset itself over night"... Whatever that means. I've done 55 miles and still not working. I'll give it to 100 miles and I'll contact the service centre, hopefull it's a mobile fix and no need to go back to the center. Luckily I'm only around 30 minutes away so no biggie if I do. There was another car that had the excact same problem as me so i'm hoping this is just a calibration/reset issue.

what’s the error message on the left camera? My car was delivered with what sounds like the same problem and they diagnosed it on a service visit and swapped out the whole repeater unit.