Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order to delivery times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a good guide put together a couple of years ago, but still relevant. Whilst I and a couple of other loonies were waiting for ours we even tracked down webcams at Houston / Norfolk and Holland in an attempt to view the Maersk container ships arriving at port o_O. This was Jan/March '17 when the race was on to make sure the cars were registered before 1st April when the luxury car tax kicked in.

The cars arrive as "parts" and avoid import tax.

Tracking your Tesla from the factory to the UK

On that link there^^ it says:
"
1. Car gets built at Fremont California Factory [notification on MyTesla once it starts]
"

Now 5 weeks after ordering I have on "my account" the RN number (not VIN) and then under "manage" it says "We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment."

The first three boxes in overview (order, prepare for delivery, and payment) are ticked. But I haven't received any notification of anything as such, except that they have received my necessary info.

I can't help but wonder whether they are building me a car, or enjoying an extended tea break?

On that link there^^ it says:

I reckon that's either out of date, or we are going to find that for model-3 it no longer applies ...

... or for the initial Model-3 sales it is a case of "Make a bunch, all different colour, and stick them on a boat and when they are about to arrive allocate Cars-to-Orders"

If you get a call saying "I don't suppose by any chance you would like a Towbar would you?" then its the later :)

I reckon that's either out of date, or we are going to find that for model-3 it no longer applies ...

... or for the initial Model-3 sales it is a case of "Make a bunch, all different colour, and stick them on a boat and when they are about to arrive allocate Cars-to-Orders"

If you get a call saying "I don't suppose by any chance you would like a Towbar would you?" then its the later :)

Fair enough. Mine's an S though, so I think the whole chain is different, with the Tilburg reassembly and watnot, so I assume the process remains as was pre-3.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Yeah I don't think we're getting the same info/updates that used to go out.
I found my VIN in my account page source and emailed a sales advisor who confirmed my MX had been built and was in transit across USA. Nothing had changed in my account page - still showing the RN number and the "we're drafting your contract" message. Hopefully we will still get the "your Tesla is on a boat" message.

Yeah I don't think we're getting the same info/updates that used to go out.
I found my VIN in my account page source and emailed a sales advisor who confirmed my MX had been built and was in transit across USA. Nothing had changed in my account page - still showing the RN number and the "we're drafting your contract" message. Hopefully we will still get the "your Tesla is on a boat" message.

Hi Graeme, is that recent?

I didn't manage to find a vin when I looked in the source a week or two ago. I think read that doesn't work anymore?

Anyway, seems a bit odd to have to go into the source for such info.

By notifications are we talking emails? I have received just two. An order summary then a revised version of the same.

I can't help but wonder whether they are building me a car, or enjoying an extended tea break?

There have been rumours that production had been paused on the S & X, speculation it’s maybe refresh time - although most seem to think that’s a bit later in the year. Have you had any luck in being able to speak with an adviser?

Hi Graeme, is that recent?

I didn't manage to find a vin when I looked in the source a week or two ago. I think read that doesn't work anymore?

Anyway, seems a bit odd to have to go into the source for such info.

By notifications are we talking emails? I have received just two. An order summary then a revised version of the same.

Just found the VIN in source last week and emailed sales advisor today whi said it was en route. Only ever had those 2 emails. I phoned up sales at my nearest shop (Edinburgh) and got the name of someone I could hassle! Won't come any quicker but nice to get some info!

Just spoke to a representative via the phone. They were very polite and helpful in answering my concerns and questions. After the call had a strong feeling of reassurance.

I've ordered Model 3 AWD LR + Towbar, taking delivery in Edinburgh.

I wanted to know about the status of my order as well as see what's what considering the LR AWD is no longer an option and the Performance has recently been reduced in price.

Getting the performance with a tow bar isn't possible (as posted elsewhere on this forum), and I plan on needing one, so I'm stuck with what I ordered and the price at which it was ordered. I feel.... 'ok' about this, but I think that is largely due to the fact that I am a Tesla fanatic and a bullish shareholder, so what's a few more bucks their way?
Also I can't help but think back to one of Elon's tweets to the effect of, "if Tesla increased the price, would you write Tesla a cheque?" - and let's be honest, who actually would? Very very few, and most likely well-meaning fanatics.

As for the status of my, well the representative managed my expectations well. They had advised that the initial delivery estimate was, highly optimistic. They said that they hope to have my car in transit by the end of next week, but they were clear that this isn't a certainty, and so the delivery will likely occur sometime after 4 weeks from now, July/August.

I am a day 1 reservationer, and UK day 1 orderer, but alas, I think it's the tow hitch which is scuppering my order. I really hope there are people here who's cars are on a boat, perhaps crossing the Atlantic, by now. That would be really awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: MrMajic
There have been rumours that production had been paused on the S & X, speculation it’s maybe refresh time - although most seem to think that’s a bit later in the year.

Well, I guess MS order volume could be very low given the expected refresh, and probably reducing week by week, in which case a financial benefit to tesla to get on with it. Would be interesting to know. But mine's a fairly early Raven order and it would seem odd to release changes like that only to stop selling that version so soon. Also, they reduced prices presumably in an effort to pep up demand 2 weeks after my order. Maybe that had little effect, which wouldn't surprise me. This is Tesla after all.

I guess the first refresh cars wouldn't reach the UK until end of November at the earliest (which is a good 3 months after my delivery expectation), and probably later than that. It's a leap of faith to assume they'll start manufacture early September but i suppose it's not impossible they've brought the factory changes forward to shrink the period of loss making very low production on cars which are perhaps likely then to sit on the inventory. If they've done all their testing etc already.

It feels to me like many could just as well prefer pre as post refresh, mainly because I like the straight ahead display and am quite happy with the dash etc. But really can't have much of a clue 'til we see it. Will the new interior be just "more like a 3" or will it be "german quality" as well? Are rumours of new batteries going to come true? It was only a month or two ago they were definitely not happening. New motors would seem odd since they've only produced a handful of Ravens, and that rumour seems to go hand in hand with the battery one.

Concerns about a depreciation hit on late pre-refresh cars are real anyway. I guess increased range and performance from here I'd only value if the price didn't change. But that means both buy price and depreciation curve.

So if my order got delayed a month or two and turned into a refresh car that'd maybe be financially better for me, but I'd be very surprised. Anyway, I look forward to moving from reading rumours about tesla to just driving one!

Checking the page source for VIN didn't get me anything. I've emailed my sales contact so will see what he comes back with.

Just spoke to a representative via the phone. They were very polite and helpful in answering my concerns and questions. After the call had a strong feeling of reassurance.

I've ordered Model 3 AWD LR + Towbar, taking delivery in Edinburgh.

I wanted to know about the status of my order as well as see what's what considering the LR AWD is no longer an option and the Performance has recently been reduced in price.

Getting the performance with a tow bar isn't possible (as posted elsewhere on this forum), and I plan on needing one, so I'm stuck with what I ordered and the price at which it was ordered. I feel.... 'ok' about this, but I think that is largely due to the fact that I am a Tesla fanatic and a bullish shareholder, so what's a few more bucks their way?
Also I can't help but think back to one of Elon's tweets to the effect of, "if Tesla increased the price, would you write Tesla a cheque?" - and let's be honest, who actually would? Very very few, and most likely well-meaning fanatics.

As for the status of my, well the representative managed my expectations well. They had advised that the initial delivery estimate was, highly optimistic. They said that they hope to have my car in transit by the end of next week, but they were clear that this isn't a certainty, and so the delivery will likely occur sometime after 4 weeks from now, July/August.

I am a day 1 reservationer, and UK day 1 orderer, but alas, I think it's the tow hitch which is scuppering my order. I really hope there are people here who's cars are on a boat, perhaps crossing the Atlantic, by now. That would be really awesome.

Hi, I have ordered a M3 AWD LR Black on Black, delivered to Edinburgh. I had not realised that the Performance had been reduced in price, how much have they knocked off ? Are they looking for eager beavers to switch from LR to Performance ? If so if they gave me a call and I got the car in the same timeframe I would be very tempted.

I've got a MS on order since March 22nd. Advised June 5th that it had arrived at Tilburg. Got a text earlier today to say that it will be available for me on June 28th - maybe coincidence that it's the end of Q2. I'm away in the Lakes then so I've offered them June 21st or July 2nd. Let's see what they say, but it seems like 14 weeks from order to collection date.

Reactions: GraemeS
I've got a MS on order since March 22nd. Advised June 5th that it had arrived at Tilburg. Got a text earlier today to say that it will be available for me on June 28th - maybe coincidence that it's the end of Q2. I'm away in the Lakes then so I've offered them June 21st or July 2nd. Let's see what they say, but it seems like 14 weeks from order to collection date.

It’s great that the wait is nearly over, but of those two dates I’d take the 2nd July. They will want you to have it before the end of the quarter, but you are more likely to get a personalised handover when they are not trying to get every car out of the door for end of Q2.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
If you go to the configuration page there’s no LR AWD now, but there is a P for £1,540 more with the same setup as a LR AWD. The Performance Upgrade Pack includes the other P items like larger wheels and lowered suspension. You can change your order from a LR AWD to a P by emailing [email protected].

OK thank you for the heads up. I'm still a bit paranoid that I go straight to the back to the back of the line if I make a change.

I'm still a bit paranoid that I go straight to the back to the back of the line if I make a change.

my best guess - and it is only a guess :):

If you have an End of June delivery date you would already know about it, and be having to "Send Cash Now" :)

If you have a VIN then my guess is you have a July delivery date, and you would also have had a call confirming approx date e.g. "Mid July". (That includes a VIN hidden in source code and not on official documents ... yet)

If not then i doubt there will be (many?) deliveries in August. Tesla has been hell-for-leather satisfying USA order at end June, end-of-quarter, so will have been manufacturing for that market. So if I assume zero cars made in June for EU / UK market then zero deliveries in August. So then it will be September (This is backed up by a lack of VIN's allocated for RHD cars recently ... )

If you change and IF you go to the back of the queue, then it will be September I reckon ...

But you might also change to a model that they have ample stock of, and get an earlier date ... altogether i don't think you are going to bump someone who already has a VIN ... but you might get their VIN if they are bumped (a delay getting finance, for example) if you are higher priority than someone else (early reservation holder etc.)

Reactions: MrMajic