Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered 3/25 and build is set for mid April

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today new dates: May 02 - May 18
history:
04.17 - 05.06
04.18 - 05.06
04.19 - 05.06
04.20 - 05.06
04.21 - 05.06
04.22 - 05.06
04.23 - 05.06
04.28 - 05.18
04.29 - 05.19
05.11 - 05.31
Mine bumped out as well...
MY5 LR-AWD, DMB on White/19", Tow, no FSD
Yesterday was 05.01-05.19, bumped out to 05.09-05.29 today.
Order date 04/06.

Moved me out of 1 weekend trip, into another week long trip... Hoping it's before the 22nd or after the 25th...

Just came back from Fremont factory and rejected the car. Ordered 4/5 LR AWD blue/black 19" wheels. front bumper had paint damage, hood gap not even, big gap down front doors (esp by side mirror), hatch closed past body about 1/2". Would have accept for some of these issues but just too many to overlook. Two other blue cars there appeared in better condition. Back on the waitlist....

Just came back from Fremont factory and rejected the car. Ordered 4/5 LR AWD blue/black 19" wheels. front bumper had paint damage, hood gap not even, big gap down front doors (esp by side mirror), hatch closed past body about 1/2". Would have accept for some of these issues but just too many to overlook. Two other blue cars there appeared in better condition. Back on the waitlist....
Damn that’s rough, sorry. I don’t get how there is so much variation between cars still.

Reactions: GVDang
Did it have the "new headlights"? I have a LR on order but I've been hearing they still come with the "old headlights".

Damn that’s rough, sorry. I don’t get how there is so much variation between cars still.
To be honest it's simply because they can. None of the people in this forum or anywhere buy Tesla because the fit and finish is spectacular. We do it because as far as vehicle performance Tesla is the highest performing that exists today for each dollar spent (or so we think). Performance could be many things, but what resonates in the community as make it break requirements are these things: AP/FSD, safety, charging network, acceleration, range, or supporting the earth. You'll notice fit and finish aren't really so high on the list.

My speculation is the fallout they would have would be massive if Tesla held the same inspection that typical automotive manufacturers hold. From a financial perspective, their goal is to get product shipped as "fast" as possible without sacrificing consumer safety. Do drivers really require a spotless car? No, most people don't even notice no matter what the cost. If one does, they rematch the reject to another buyer and a sale is a sale.

The build quality issues are issues, no doubt, but primarily are very low risk to the consumer and to the company. Add the huge magnifying glass effect and you have excess scrutiny where it didn't exist before.

Yes, it absolutely sucks for those of us who care about every minute detail, but in the end, the fallout of customers is really really low, for now, so Tesla has no reason to change their operating model because it is the most profitable for them as they are growing. Less vehicles rejected in the plant, more vehicles eventually accepted by the least-caring customer.

Remember, if Tesla is staffed perfectly, they don't have extra staff to rework "trivial" issues, so to take employees to fix cars at the plant, they are reducing production efficiency (in dollar spent/output of vehicles). Instead they use the consumers time and a 3rd party to address and it's relatively low cost to them, and only if they are noticed buy the buyer.

To be honest, Tesla isn't the first to approach quality in this way. Many companies do thing similarly with riskier items. Non Turbo Subaru's have historically had, without fail, bad head gaskets which result in engine failure it not addressed. These are paid for by the owner in most cases. Every vehicle manufacuter in the world has issue with Takata airbags. The "right" way is to halt use of the vehicle and provide a safe vehicle until inventory is available for repair, but I've never been given this option (for driver airbag) but others have - FWIW I did complain to Honda about this, they told me to complain to NHTSA, if I was not satisfied with their resolution.

TL;DR, Tesla fit and finish sucks because they can get away with it right now, and because they need to right now. I only hope it improves in the future as they increase their sales it they want to stay competitive.