Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a Used 2021 MY; will I regret not getting a 2022 or later?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order last week for a low mileage (25.2K) 2021 Tesla MY LR AWD from Tesla. It's the exact combination I want (White/White, 19" Gemini wheels) and is a late 2021 build (June 6, 2021). I paid $30,400, which seemed reasonable to me.

I am now concerned that I'm going to miss out on the AMD Ryzen change in 22, plus build quality improvements that came later in 2022. I'd really love to hear from people with that went from a 21 to 22 and know if I'm making a big deal out of nothing.

I'm trying to decide if I should cancel my order and hold out for a 2022 or later.

Thanks everyone

I currently have a 2020 MY LR AWD with a 2024 MY LR AWD on order because of the very poor ride quality and excessive road noise (among other improvements). To me the 2024 is worth it to finally have a Model Y that's as quiet and smooth as its peers and that I can appreciate the very good sound system in it while driving (without turning it way up) and not just standing still in a parking lot. I would recommend at a minimum of waiting for a MY with the comfort suspension and improved insulation, which both happened in the latter half of 2022 I believe.

• Love
Reactions: Dangaurd_Ace
If you’re already having buyer’s remorse, then cancel your order and get what will make you happy. :) Also, consider a new MY which gets you the tax credit, if you have some flexibility on the price.
Yes, but I have to draw the line somewhere. 30K is already the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned by far.

I'm coming from a 2004 Toyota Tacoma so my expectations are not exactly sky high. I test drove a 2024 MYLR and was amazed. If the 2021 is anywhere close to as good I'm going to be extremely happy. I've seen some more video's now on the processor difference and I don't think it will be a big deal.

• Love
Kinda too late to ask now. For me if going used Y, 2022 and later due to iterative improvements. Everyone is different and have varying circumstances. YMMV!
For sure. I have no doubt the 22 is better, the question is just how much better. I'm happy with my choice and I appreciate the input from everyone. The 21 had everything I wanted, except Ryzen, which I don't think will be significant for me.

• Love
You are made a smart move by buying used. You let the other fella absorb the steepest depreciation hit. So boom! +1
Money saved can be used on other experiential aspects of life or go invest in high yield stocks.

As for Ryzen vs Atom chips, I can only speak of my limited exposure with my friends older Teslas. By its own, the Atom interface while some lag was detected, it was still better than many EVs. (Looking at you Mach E and Polestar 2!). However the new Ryzen based interface is super slick and I experienced zero lag. As the adage goes, you don't miss what you don't know.
There are more experienced Y owners who can speak on other differences. I do know that the 2024 Y has risen to the level of acceptability in terms of ride comfort and NVH.
Now the Model 3 Highland takes that all together up a few notches. I can only imagine the Juniper should be sensational and before long you will get to pick up 2024 Y for good used prices from those who sold/traded in their 2021 Y for a 2024 Y. :)

• Love
Yes, but I have to draw the line somewhere. 30K is already the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned by far.

I'm coming from a 2004 Toyota Tacoma so my expectations are not exactly sky high. I test drove a 2024 MYLR and was amazed. If the 2021 is anywhere close to as good I'm going to be extremely happy. I've seen some more video's now on the processor difference and I don't think it will be a big deal.
If you are eligible for the tax rebate, Model Y RWD is $35k; I think I’d rather spend another $5k and get a brand new car (w/warranty) than spend $30k for a used one.

Mid 2021 is peak Tesla. I would never own one later than 10/21 when they took out the USS.

Atom vs Ryzen is nothing burger, no real difference. I've driven the Ryzen, effectively the same.

If you don't like the harsh ride, get some Koni Red shocks. $600or $800 plus installation. Not Lexus level comfort, but filters out the worst of the harshness.

• Love
I believe the biggest difference will be with the comfort suspension. Some may find that to be a deal breaker when considering the older cars. The new Ys have hardware 4 which is a step above the early 2023 models. The new rear wheel drive versions do have a drawback of having less speakers, so the sound system was subject to cost cutting.

• Love
White on white adds thousands to the sticker price w/o adding any additional utility. It’s your money but you care more about the colors than a warranty?
I care about both. I'm not buying a car unless it is what I want and that includes color. I totally get your utility argument; your logic is sound and from that perspective, zero options is the best call. Even if I went zero options it's still $39,130 vs $30,400. $9K is a lot of money.

I'm still getting two years full warranty, which is pretty awesome.