Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered CPO 2015 Model S 90D

what should I do?

• do nothing and hope for the best

• carefully inspect upon delivery and deny delivery if surprises show up.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, it's very likely that the car hasn't been serviced. A lessor has no reason to bring the car in and pay for service that's not mandatory under the lease terms. However, I would disagree that not bringing in a car for inspection after 40k miles causes "serious damage" or means the car is "trashed". This is not an ICE car where you need to change the oil every 5k miles or risk throwing a rod. My point was that you have a warranty for 50k miles if anything breaks, bring it in and it will be fixed for free. No need to stress over it.

Point is as a buyer I feel rather comfortable buying a car that has followed the Tesla maintenance schedule than someone who just ignored maintenance for 4 years. not having maintenance records puts vehicle history into question which may lead to future problems. recommended maintenance is there for a reason.

...the web page is no longer...

Sorry. I should have figured that out.

In any case, I wouldn't be stressed out about it because although your sales rep didn't make it clear about 4 year / 50,000 miles but since Tesla has only 2 kinds of CPO warranty:

1) 4 years / 50,000 miles starting from what you see at delivery whichever first (not ending at up to physical 50,000 maximum odometer because 40,000 at delivery + 50,000 warranty = 90,000 odometer)

or

2) 2 years or up to 100,000 miles maximum odometer whichever first.

Such as this 2014 below with 46,265 miles:

t0IRwWK.jpg

Reactions: riskdirector
Point is as a buyer I feel rather comfortable buying a car that has followed the Tesla maintenance schedule than someone who just ignored maintenance for 4 years. not having maintenance records puts vehicle history into question which may lead to future problems. recommended maintenance is there for a reason.

I see what you're saying but as you've stated, Tesla is unwilling to provide that service history on any vehicle so it's really a moot point. You're worrying about something you have no control over and no say in. Honestly, even the poll question you posted doesn't even make sense. In all seriousness, what are you going to inspect on delivery? Are you going to get under the car and check the ball joints? See if the control arms are stressed and about to crack? You've got a warranty, don't worry about it. Just pickup your car and enjoy it.

Do you know if Tesla will perform the 4 years maintenance prior to delivery because the car has due 4-year maintenance as of Jan 01 2019? The car has been in tesla warehouse since Oct 2018. Do I have to pay for 4-year service out of pocket if I do it after the delivery? Is this covered under warranty?

Car Maintenance

They perform an inspection specific to their used car program and replace/repair whatever is needed. It is most likely similar or more comprehensive than what they do for their annual service inspections (speculating). Annual service is not covered under any warranty. Also, I'm glad you posted that link to the service schedule which kind of shows that nothing major actually happens during an annual inspection. Nothing on that list that if skipped up until now would classify your car as "trashed". And anything that was broken would have been fixed and covered under warranty going forward.

They perform an inspection specific to their used car program and replace/repair whatever is needed. It is most likely similar or more comprehensive than what they do for their annual service inspections (speculating). Annual service is not covered under any warranty. Also, I'm glad you posted that link to the service schedule which kind of shows that nothing major actually happens during an annual inspection. Nothing on that list that if skipped up until now would classify your car as "trashed". And anything that was broken would have been fixed and covered under warranty going forward.

So after some digging looks like previous owner did not do any maintenance on this at least of what Tesla knows of. Not a good feeling. It’s due 4 year maintenance now. I have asked them to perform it before maintenance let’s see what they say.

No warranty docs yet

Neither any 70 point inspection report.

So after some digging looks like previous owner did not do any maintenance on this at least of what Tesla knows of. It’s due 4 year maintenance now. I have asked them to perform it before maintenance let’s see what they say.

No warranty docs yet

Neither any 70 point inspection report.

If your budget is $50K, my advice to you is to instead look for a 2015 CPO P85D. They are available for right around $50K and it represents a much better value without the unknown issues of not knowing the version number of the 90 battery.

Here's a 2015 P85D for $52K:
85 kWh Performance Model S 5YJSA1H22FFP63813 | Tesla

And another one for $53K:
Model S P85D 5YJSA1H40FF085869 | Tesla

Also don't forget you can buy an 85D for the mid 40s and that's essentially a car with more or less the same range and same performance.

Tell me more about this 90D version battery version? I want a 90D and had heard of some degradation issue, is there a way I can verify what version of the pack it is with the VIN?

Tesla plays a lot of games with pricing..because they can...they control the used and new marketplace..service..and parts :)
...I originally put a deposit down for this car a 2015 85d, with subzero, hifi, smartair...they had it priced for $40,600 (this exact vin Model S 85D 5YJSA1H29FF097632 | Tesla ). After a horrible experience with CPO, I did not want to go forward with it..so after weeks of dealing with them I got my deposit back. They put the car back online for $8k more. Their magic pricing algorithm is all over the map.

Made service appointment for the following issues with the car within 1 week.

Tesla Concerns

1. Computer crashed while driving noticed on 01/13
2. Tire pressure light on. check tires and breaks
3. Screeching Cabin noise while driving over 60mph
4. Window glass cracking noise when rolling up the driver side
5. Charging makes loud noise
6. Replace 12 v battery message
7. 2nd key not working noticed 1/12
8. 4 year maintenance
9. systems are powering up message. Black screen. Had to restart the computer to turn the car on.

Reactions: rplace1021
That's not too bad of a list. It's unfortunate they don't check this stuff beforehand but that's the reality of it. The good news is that you've got a warranty for 4yr/50k mi so while it's a minor inconvenience to have to bring it in, at least you know you're covered. I need to bring mine in for the 4yr maintenance soon as well. Aside from those things, how are you enjoying driving the car?

Love the longer range on weekend trips. Charging is pretty fast too not sure if it is 90 or the D part. How can I determine what version of the pack it is without sharing vin in a public forum.

I think on the sticker that shows battery size there is a part number. From what I understand, v3 is the best version of the 90kWh battery, but wanted to know if there was some way to ascertain that via VIN instead so I don't buy any CPO cars with the old battery pack.

Love the car, I was able to buy 3 year maintenance plan for approximately $1600 for 2015 model s cpo with 46000 miles on it upon purchase. Not sure if buying a maintenance plan was a right decision. If car needs maintenance rest assured i will be covered.
Maintenace is hardly needed on EVs...even the battery coolant...most people say at 8 years and 96k miles comes out superclean. Just like ICE cars...brake fluid flush is reccomened every 30k miles..but you can usually keep fluid for 150k miles with no issues. Curious if anyone has never done service on a tesla without issue to 100k, 200k miles?

Maintenace is hardly needed on EVs...even the battery coolant...most people say at 8 years and 96k miles comes out superclean. Just like ICE cars...brake fluid flush is reccomened every 30k miles..but you can usually keep fluid for 150k miles with no issues. Curious if anyone has never done service on a tesla without issue to 100k, 200k miles?
Not sure why everyone just ignores Tesla recommeded maintenance plans. They are there for a reason. Just because car keeps running and it has warranty doesn’t mean we should totally ignore the maintenance. I always kept my car upto date on maintenance. Therefore I purchased 3 years maintenance plan for Tesla. Seemed like a good value. Since 4 year service alone costs 850. 600 for other 2.

Reactions: PhilDavid