TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Ordered. Now what?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by pkz0125, Aug 27, 2015.

1. pkz0125

pkz0125 Member

I ordered my MS on 8/14 and got it confirmed yesterday with an October delivery date. My experience about that is here. I did some research on these forums and identified the next steps listed below.

Am I missing anything?

Must (questions in italics)
    1. Apply for loan. Mostly Alliant credit union for me. I am thinking of applying around 9/10 so my 30 days approval won't expire but I will still have enough time to explore other options if they don't qualify me for the amount I need to borrow.

Does anybody know rates better than 1.99% for 5 years? dcu.org has a better rate but do they have a maximum loan amount?

2. Get an outlet installed in the garage for charging. Have a couple of appointment set up.

What should I ask the perspective electrician?

3. Decide whether to buy the service plan. Lots of information available on the forums.

4. Get insurance close to the delivery. Got the quote already.

Optional
    1. Decide whether to do opti-coat or similar.
    2. Choose a vanity plate. There is a nice thread on this topic. It will be fun to watch my wife and son go back and forth on this one. My son wants something that has the word 'gas' in it :) and my wife hates that.

Can't think of anything else.

2. OverZealous

OverZealous Member

I can't add much for the others, but I asked Tesla for a recommended electrician (write them at [email protected]), and they sent me a referral to a fantastic company here in Louisville (Allen Electrical), who knew all about setting up for Teslas (including the difference between using the travel charger or the HPWC). Tesla's team also gave me information about what to tell the electrician when I ordered the car, and they can help you with more information at that email address.

Now, I will say, people keep saying how cheap a NEMA 14-50 outlet is, but they really are not cheap. I have an electrician friend who informed us the wire alone would be at least $250 (for about 50' of wire), and professionally installed with permit it could cost up to $1000. It ended up being $800, but Allen has a flat-fee setup, which I like: they charge one price to install the outlet, not by foot.

3. msnow

msnow Active Member

I just confirmed a couple of days ago. Congrats!!!
    regarding the loan...a friend referred me to Logix Federal Credit Union. For 5 years their rate is 1.74%. For 4 years it's 1.49%. I think their max is $100K As an added bonus, if you tell them I referred you we each get $50. PM me and I'll give you the name of the person I dealt with. Approval was quick and painless.

4. pkz0125

pkz0125 Member

They don't seem to do business in the state of NC. Quote from their website:
    "Do you live in one of these states: AZ, CA, DC, MA, MD, ME, NH, NV, or VA? Perfect—that’s exactly where we offer vehicle loans."

5. madhav

madhav Member

For folks in Texas, check rbfcu.org. I got 1.65% for 66 months. Very easy process. Open an account online, apply online after you get the VIN and my loan got approved in about 3 hours. They asked to pick up the check.

6. jgs

jgs Member

You might consider checking with your power utility to see if they have any special programs for EVs. When I did that, just on spec, I ended up getting my NEMA 14-50 and EV meter installed by them, no cost to me.[*] I did have to agree to have a separate EV meter, but I'd've done that anyway to get access to the much better off-peak rates.

[*] Sorry, people in DTE-land, I think that program is over. It was even over when I asked, except someone reneged on his install and I got his place.

7. dandelot

dandelot Member

Re: Electrician. The one Tesla recommended had vastly overcommitted
    and had brought in workers that did not know town codes/practices
    well enough. Because so many Teslas around here.
    It got done and passed inspection eventually.

8. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

If you get really bored you can hang out at the local service center and breath Tesla air. :)

Actually weeks after placing my order I was visiting my local SC asking some questions about the car when, totally unplanned and unexpected, a delivery truck pulled up and unload MY car! What were the chances? :)