Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all that have ordered and taken delivery of their Tesla can you please walk me through the purchasing process.
What happens after you choose your options and put your $250 deposit?

Thank you,
Prepare yourself mentally for a long wait. :)

But actually, what will happen next is you'll have a car with a Reservation Number in your Tesla profile. You'll then go through the steps of applying for financing, calculating your trade in value. My advice - for NOW - choose CASH as your option for payment, even if you plan to apply for financing, and NO TRADE, even if you plan to trade in. Financing and trade in values expire, causing fluctuations you may not have anticipated.

It's very intuitive and user friendly, but you do need to have a "complete" profile to secure your spot in line per my SA when I ordered my car.

Hope this helps!

- You can review the various payment possibilities such as getting a loan or paying cash.
Well, a bank check would not be accepted and you will need to get a cashier check, which can take few days.

Some issues with a loan reported were that the loan you might get is only valid for a month.
If your delivery is postponed, you will need to apply for a new loan, but doing so
might affect your credit score and you might get a higher rate.

- About insurance, if you transfer your insurance to a new car, some states let you drive home
while driving the new car using the older insurance, but other states are stricter.

You might not be able to get a quote until you will receive the VIN number.
This could limit your search for getting the best insurance quote.

If this is your first car, you will get a higher quote because you don't have any driving record,
so be patient and after six months, try different insurances for getting a better deal.

- About your home, certainly the major concern will be to install a plug for the UMC or to get a wall charger.

In the meantime, you could order some accessories, such as floor mats as the original one are not very strong.

But actually, what will happen next is you'll have a car with a Reservation Number in your Tesla profile.
Where does one find this "Tesla Profile"? I have logged in both on the web and have the iphone Tesla app, the app has only one option "explore", which is sales information and a menu that lets me see choices of "Contact Info" and "Order History", the latter being empty.

On the tesla.com web site I can log in and the dashboard page gives me the options to order a car or a solar system or add a used car. Nothing on any of the menu tabs shows any indication that I have an order in process.

I do have an email confirmation with an order number.

- You can review the various payment possibilities such as getting a loan or paying cash.
Well, a bank check would not be accepted and you will need to get a cashier check, which can take few days.
When you say a bank check not being accepted, are you talking about a personal check? Because my understanding is that a Bank check, one that you get from your bank, which is certified, has been accepted in every situation I've ever encountered purchasing a vehicle.

Similarly, when you get a loan from another bank or credit union for a purchase of a vehicle, they generally give you a bank/certified check made out directly to the vehicle seller. So please clarify your statement.

Where does one find this "Tesla Profile"? I have logged in both on the web and have the iphone Tesla app, the app has only one option "explore", which is sales information and a menu that lets me see choices of "Contact Info" and "Order History", the latter being empty.

On the tesla.com web site I can log in and the dashboard page gives me the options to order a car or a solar system or add a used car. Nothing on any of the menu tabs shows any indication that I have an order in process.

I do have an email confirmation with an order number.
The phone app is useless until you take delivery of the car. Did you create an account on tesla.com? If so, click on 'Account' on the upper right hand corner (or click the link in the confirmation email) and it should show that you have a car on-order with a Reservation number and allow you to 'manage' it. Order History is only for things like apparel, accessories, etc. If the res number doesn't show, and you have one in the email you were sent, you may want to reach out to a sales advisor at your local store.

The phone app is useless until you take delivery of the car. Did you create an account on tesla.com? If so, click on 'Account' on the upper right hand corner (or click the link in the confirmation email) and it should show that you have a car on-order with a Reservation number and allow you to 'manage' it. Order History is only for things like apparel, accessories, etc. If the res number doesn't show, and you have one in the email you were sent, you may want to reach out to a sales advisor at your local store.
Thanks. It turned out that it ordered under a different email address than the one on the account. Where it got that alternate address, I have no idea. (It's my "spam-protected" personal address that I never use on any web site) When I changed the email address for my account to the one they used, my order appears and all is good.