Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ordering the right Tesla iteration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla does not release new models like, for instance the mk 5 Golf vs the mk4 Golf. Instead there is a process of punctuated equilibrium of a single model, say the Model 3.

The equilibrium is where small iterations are made to the hardware and software but nothing major. The punctuations are where a radical improvement is made, say going from hardware 3 to hardware 4 or 4.5.

The problem with this is that when you place an order for delivery in the future you don't know which major improvement you are going to get. How can I make sure I place an order for HW4.5, for instance?

You can't, you get what you're given at the time your order is matched with a car. What you can do is defer your collection until you know the current batch of cars are the version you want, but there's still no certainty you'll get the same as the other most recently delivered cars. Tesla can sometimes confirm what hardware version is on a car once it's matched. I was able to find out that my car had the Ryzen processor before delivery, for example.

Tesla configurations are a bit of a chance you take when you place your order. Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. This means that if they have a better way of doing things, the car you receive may be a bit different than what you ordered.
Due to the significant time between placing your order and taking delivery, there are often differences, just due to continous improvement policy.

Tesla configurations are a bit of a chance you take when you place your order. Tesla has a policy of continous improvement. This means that if they have a better way of doing things, the car you receive may be a bit different than what you ordered.
Due to the significant time between placing your order and taking delivery, there are often differences, just due to continous improvement policy.
Better to describe it as a different way of doing things. No guarantee it will be a better way of doing things.

And with upcoming promised hardware downgrades such as stalk removal, if you are certain you want a Tesla best get an order in soon, before deletions of necessary equipment kick in.

I suppose from a build perspective it is more efficient, but it is so annoying to consumers. Do we have any idea what the difference between 4 0 and 4.5 will be? I don’t have a lot of confidence in tesla vision so really hoping to get a version with ultrasonic sensors and radar. Call me old fashion.

Reactions: CWT3LR
The problem with this is that when you place an order for delivery in the future you don't know which major improvement you are going to get. How can I make sure I place an order for HW4.5, for instance?
If you can have your finances ready to go, towards the end of each quarter there are often cars available from inventory. Following the forum to hear about the new additions/deletions and acting quickly could be an option for you.

I suppose from a build perspective it is more efficient, but it is so annoying to consumers. Do we have any idea what the difference between 4 0 and 4.5 will be? I don’t have a lot of confidence in tesla vision so really hoping to get a version with ultrasonic sensors and radar. Call me old fashion.
Nobody knows. And it really doesn’t matter.
Hardware 4 is only relevant to FSD which doesn’t exist yet.

Tesla have stated Hardware 3 will be capable of FSD anyway, but if you consider most people who bought Model 3 when they first appeared in the UK and FSD was supposedly right around the corner, are now trading those cars in for another as the finance periods end, it depends if you belive FSD is “two weeks” away, or you’re buying a car you’re gonna enjoy driving.

Ultrasonic sensors aren’t coming back, there is no indication of that so if you really want them you can order a 2nd hand model or just accept they’re not there and buy the new car if you want it. Having had a Tesla with and now without them it really isn’t a big deal them not being there.

Reactions: rob@rar
Tesla does not release new models like, for instance the mk 5 Golf vs the mk4 Golf. Instead there is a process of punctuated equilibrium of a single model, say the Model 3.

The equilibrium is where small iterations are made to the hardware and software but nothing major. The punctuations are where a radical improvement is made, say going from hardware 3 to hardware 4 or 4.5.

You don't know. You have to wait until EM actually twits that the cars from a certain date have x ardware in it

You won’t know for all the reasons above. And you can’t expect Tesla to telegraph when they’re going to change anything, as it would freeze some customer orders. Many/most orders would dry up in advance of an upcoming change, and then surge once the change comes to pass. And Tesla would be stuck with inventory of old parts with each change if they notified buyers. Or be forced to (heavily) discount old versions. We have some idea how HW4 and additional sensors will roll out (not together), but you take your chances from there. Based on past history, HW4.5 is years away…

• Disagree
Reactions: CWT3LR and boombap
You won’t know for all the reasons above. And you can’t expect Tesla to telegraph when they’re going to change anything, as it would freeze some customer orders. Many/most orders would dry up in advance of an upcoming change, and then surge once the change comes to pass. And Tesla would be stuck with inventory of old parts with each change if they notified buyers. Or be forced to (heavily) discount old versions. We have some idea how HW4 and additional sensors will roll out (not together), but you take your chances from there. Based on past history, HW4.5 is years away…
Now isn't that the truth? - Tesla have form for shafting people, they make sure they don't get left with cars of the wrong spec, they prefer you get them and promise you they will fix it.

All this talk about upgrades and improvements is nonsense - An upgrade or improvement is only an improvement or upgrade if it is viewed by the customer that way, for instance - The satin black - chrome delete - an improvement? not to me it isn't, Likewise, the removal of data ports, passenger lumber support, removal of white insert in door cards on white interiors, the Fiesta hard plastic lower section of the door cards, removal of radar, auto engagement of wipers and AHB when using autopilot, Pirellis instead of PS4s, Uberturbines instead of Turbines, LEDs from door card pockets, Vapourware instead of USS, The centre console change, and the crowning glory the heat pump, 5 revisions and still noisy and less reliable that the resistive heater - none of those things to me are improvements, though they are to Tesla who benefit from reduced costs to build.
I do hope Tesla bring in the Yoke and stalkless and get left with thousands of cars many will not want to buy - they deserve a rocket right up their Jacksy for their arrogance.

They have brought in features that I consider an improvement like the 3D6 motor, Ryzen, LI low voltage battery, the heated steering wheel, the 82Kwhr battery, the power boot, the matrix lights - shame their implementation for some of those is poor - one powered strut for the powered boot and dumb matrix headlamps.

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap and CWT3LR
Buy from inventory, use a website that can find the build codes and shares those with you and you know what you’re buying. Tesla appear to have tried to make this difficult because they have lots of HW3 MS and MX in the US nobody wants as they’re making HW4 cars now, but from Twitter I’ve seen Tesla-info have cracked it, EV-CPO had but it’s now broken.

As for timing of changes, that’s something that’s no so easy to predict, we know HW4 is now kn MS and MX, but when it will be 8n M3 and MY built in China is an unknown

I was pleased our MY had radar, parking sensors, Ryzen MCU etc, even if the radar is no longer used, so I can see the desire for the latest spec, but the software rarely seems exploit the later hardware as they need to maintain some backward compatibility. I guess I’m saying that while waiting for HW4 seems a good idea, I’m not sure what functionality you’ll actually get that’s better.

Reactions: CWT3LR
I agree George, Its also pretty much the opposite of what many of us were saying a couple of years ago regarding Tesla's build quality with the panel gaps and paint issues - the common phrase was - "They are a tech company that are building cars" - or "They are putting wheels and seats around a computer" and indeed their forte was in software in particular around battery management. Just how the tables have turned, they have sorted the build quality issues but all their current failures or poorly performing functions are around software.

I am getting a bit pissed off with myself because I've gone from admiring Elon Musk to hating the sound of his voice, I really like my car but the dishonesty and lack of integrity perpetrated by Elon/Tesla just makes me look for reasons to slag them off rather than looking for the positives, I've always been an enthused positive sort of bloke, the glass half full type and it annoys me I feel this way towards Tesla.

I feel this way towards Tesla.
I am beginning to feel that way and it worries be because I am a shareholder too and am concerned about the image they project to potential customers. I was about to receive delivery of a M3LR but when I discovered it had no parking sensors I cancelled and am keeping my existing M3SR+ for the time being until I see a coherent combination of hardware and software that is to some extent future-proof.

Thanks for your replies. It seems the only way you know what you are ordering is by keeping abreast of forums and feeds. I'm not sure everybody finds that convenient.

Reactions: Midpack

the best (probably) are the cars made in late 2021 and delivered in first half of 2022.

they have new MCU with fast Ryzen CPU, heated wipers, steering wheel, all heated seats, it has heat pump and has USS.