Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our new MYP towed to service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Well, I guess we had a bad day today. We had to watch our new MYP with less then 3500 miles on it be towed away on a flat bed.

This morning while I was leaving for work for an eight day rotation. I received a call from my wife, “Hey, the car has a warning message, a triangle and it says”“Vehicle may not restart. Service is required.”. She had decided to take the kids out for a drive and the warning just popped up while she was driving.

I told her to take it home and park it so a that if it needs to be towed it will be easy to load onto a flatbed. She got the car home and I told her to look up the error in the service menu.... BMS_a05. I remembered reading it had something to do with the 12v battery. And after messaging roadside via the app and text, they determined that the 12v battery does need to be replaced, but also they need to run further diagnostics to determine why the battery failed.

So the (not) wonderful thing about were I live is it’s away, far away, far far away...from everything! Lol The tow truck had to drive 4 1/2 hours to pick up our car. Road side attempted to arrange a rental but the closest rental company was too far away to deliver a car. I sent a text saying, “dang it’s too bad you can’t throw a loaner on the flatbed and bring it out to us.. oh and how am I supposed to pickup my car when it’s fixed?” They responded with....”Good news, we’ve arranged a loaner vehicle for you.”

Now we aren’t mad that our new car is broken, just a little concerned. Hopefully it doesn’t happen again. As for Tesla service, so far, has been great under the circumstances. I’ll keep this post updated with the progress of the repair.

Update:

Our car was towed to the service center on Wednesday. The service appointment showed up in Tesla App for Thursday, however the car was not updating in the app.

Called roadside on Thursday morning to verify the car was delivered to the service center. It was, and they would be getting to it shortly. Around noon, the service appointment disappeared.

Checked the app this (Friday) morning and the app had updated to show “In service”. The app eventually connected to the car itself and updated its location. This afternoon the app shows “Waiting on parts”. ETR is Nov 18th. I also received a text saying they’re still diagnosing the problem this evening.

No word on what parts have been ordered.

Reactions: Margaritaboy
Checked email this morning, and I received a list of parts that have been ordered.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY, DRIVE INV, 3DU, GLOBAL, 810A, SIC, REAR
    Part #: 1079924-15-H
    Order Date: November 14, 2020
  2. SEAL, GEARBOX, INVERTER, 3DU
    Part #: 1088098-00-F
  3. ASY, REMAN, 3DU-Rear 800 MOSFET - No Ground Strap
    Part #: 1521365-00-B

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY and cafe9
Checked email this morning, and I received a list of parts that have been ordered.

Parts Ordered
  1. ASY, DRIVE INV, 3DU, GLOBAL, 810A, SIC, REAR
    Part #: 1079924-15-H
  2. SEAL, GEARBOX, INVERTER, 3DU
    Part #: 1088098-00-F
  3. ASY, REMAN, 3DU-Rear 800 MOSFET - No Ground Strap
    Part #: 1521365-00-B
Looks like the drive unit (motor) died..must have been a defective one.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Update:

Got the car back today. I had to drive the loaner to El Paso and I picked up our car after the service center had closed. They said I could pick it up after hours using the app, although someone had disabled remote access just prior to completing the repairs. I set a text for them to enable mobile access so I could pay for the TPMS’s I ordered and close out the repair invoice. No issues picking it up except I wish they had charged it up a bit more. I had to go 20mins out of the way to supercharge but I got some good bbq at Rudy’s. Also my phone was still set as a key, but everything else was reset back to factory defaults. Not sure if this is typical or not. All communication to the service center was done via text message.

The diagnosis was an isolation fault in the RDM inverter. They also replaced the AC compressor, I guess for the same issue, an isolation fault.

My conclusion in this whole deal is, it sucks that such a new car had an issue like this, but everything worked out well in the end. Service did a fairly good job keeping us informed during the process, and the loaner worked out great.

I don’t regret buying the car at all, but I don’t mind dealing with a little bull crap to be on the bleeding edge. However, if you live this far away from Tesla service, well, sh*t happens, and you need to be prepared to deal with it, and not everyone is going to be as forgiving, especially out here in oil country. My neighbors kept asking, “where’s your new car at?”.

I still think our MY is the best car ever made..... for us, but it sure would be nice to have a service center a little closer to home.

Update:

Got the car back today. I had to drive the loaner to El Paso and I picked up our car after the service center had closed. They said I could pick it up after hours using the app, although someone had disabled remote access just prior to completing the repairs. I set a text for them to enable mobile access so I could pay for the TPMS’s I ordered and close out the repair invoice. No issues picking it up except I wish they had charged it up a bit more. I had to go 20mins out of the way to supercharge but I got some good bbq at Rudy’s. Also my phone was still set as a key, but everything else was reset back to factory defaults. Not sure if this is typical or not. All communication to the service center was done via text message.

The diagnosis was an isolation fault in the RDM inverter. They also replaced the AC compressor, I guess for the same issue, an isolation fault.

My conclusion in this whole deal is, it sucks that such a new car had an issue like this, but everything worked out well in the end. Service did a fairly good job keeping us informed during the process, and the loaner worked out great.

I don’t regret buying the car at all, but I don’t mind dealing with a little bull crap to be on the bleeding edge. However, if you live this far away from Tesla service, well, sh*t happens, and you need to be prepared to deal with it, and not everyone is going to be as forgiving, especially out here in oil country. My neighbors kept asking, “where’s your new car at?”.

I still think our MY is the best car ever made..... for us, but it sure would be nice to have a service center a little closer to home.
Thanks for posting the final diagnosis.

I wonder what an “isolation fault” really is...did they explain?

Thanks for posting the final diagnosis.

I wonder what an “isolation fault” really is...did they explain?

No, unfortunately I got to the service center after hours. I was going to pick the techs brain a bit but everyone was gone when I got to the service center.

I actually work with variable speed drives in my profession. If Tesla drive units work under a similar principle of AC-DC-AC, but without the first conversion since it’s already DC from the HV battery, then an isolation fault is a voltage “leak” from one side of the system to the other. So it could be dc voltage detected on the AC side or possibly on the 12vdc side if the car uses 12vdc for the drives internal electronics.

Basically the car detected bad voltage or voltage where it wasn’t supposed to be.

• Informative
Reactions: Koolio46
Total thread drift: You're in the middle of nowhere. I live in Fort Worth, will be driving to similar areas in TX.

Have you added a spare wheel/tire?? I'm trying to solve this dilemma w/o taking up most of the rear storage area.

Thanks.

I plan on getting a modern spare for cross country road trips, for less than 100 miles (close/far distance is relative here) roadside and a tire plug kit will have to do.

My wife was so nervous about driving the performance with the 21” wheels after watching Out of spec motoring bust up a 20” rim in a pothole, and our roads here are much worse. Ultimately she got over her fear after getting the car. She watched a few how to vids on patching a tire and is pretty confident if she had to, she could fix it.

For your case a modern spare is your best bet, a patch kit won’t fix a bent or broken rim, and some of the pot holes here are big enough to swallow a Volkswagen at 80mph.

• Funny
Reactions: Koolio46
Exploring the Vredestein Space Master Spare, only available on exclusive rims for VAG, BMW, Mercedes. Hoping I could peel the tire off the "exclusive" rim and slide it onto a Tesla compliant wheel. It's a much smaller diameter than the Modern Spare, hope it'll work AND fit in the rear well. (or. maybe I could get one of the above wheels to fit with a spacer...temp use only, in an emergency, of course.)

Aftermarket folk should be working on this, although after speaking with Vredstein Atlanta hdqtrs, I think the above mentioned auto makers have a tight hold on the technology.

Thanks for the quick response. Enjoy your car!

Total thread drift: You're in the middle of nowhere. I live in Fort Worth, will be driving to similar areas in TX.

Have you added a spare wheel/tire?? I'm trying to solve this dilemma w/o taking up most of the rear storage area.

Thanks.

I live in the middle of nowhere in Texas too. Ordered a modern spare that will only be delivered in January. So getting a full size tire and wheel from Tesla. Will cost 1200.