Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outback mystery tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many of the roads in the North are unfenced, the driver of the van apparently only suffered leg injuries.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wish I had a dollar for every time I said the words three...phase....power....outlet.
There's no shortage of power available, no shortage of 3 phase, it's just a matter of are they 5 pin, do they still work, and how much junk is piled up against them.
Good you found 3 phase so available. Were there any places at all you had to charge 10A single phase, or did you get 3 phase every charge?

Also you mention the 5 pin thing which has come up several times on this forum. How common and problematic are sockets with 4 pins or disconnected neutrals? (anyone else with experience feel free to answer) I'm working on a road trip and wondering whether to take an artificial neutral similar to Electric Dave's.

Good you found 3 phase so available. Were there any places at all you had to charge 10A single phase, or did you get 3 phase every charge?

Also you mention the 5 pin thing which has come up several times on this forum. How common and problematic are sockets with 4 pins or disconnected neutrals? (anyone else with experience feel free to answer) I'm working on a road trip and wondering whether to take an artificial neutral similar to Electric Dave's.

Every place had 3 phase of some type, a couple had the middle pin blanked off, 2 had the correct 5 pin but the outlets looked really dodgy so we avoided those, on those occasions we went on to the next location or charged on 10amp ovenight, didnt mind too much because staying overnight at the Whim creek hotel and Nanutarra roadhouse camp site was pretty relaxing, there's a few places we havent put on plugshare yet but will make available inhouse, there's also a few places we didnt stop at that had potential.
When we get home I'll get some new 5 pin outlets and send them up to be replaced, also hoping that over the next few months Perth to Exmouth will have HPWCs installled, each location will be 190-230 kms apart.

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
Every place had 3 phase of some type, a couple had the middle pin blanked off, 2 had the correct 5 pin but the outlets looked really dodgy so we avoided those, on those occasions we went on to the next location or charged on 10amp ovenight, didnt mind too much because staying overnight at the Whim creek hotel and Nanutarra roadhouse camp site was pretty relaxing, there's a few places we havent put on plugshare yet but will make available inhouse, there's also a few places we didnt stop at that had potential.
When we get home I'll get some new 5 pin outlets and send them up to be replaced, also hoping that over the next few months Perth to Exmouth will have HPWCs installled, each location will be 190-230 kms apart.
Thanks Blue. That gives a good idea of what it is like!

Wow? Massive accomplishment. Well done. And 170Wh/K? Fantastic.

Welcome home and congratulations. I bet your home charger was a welcome sight.

Thanks Alpal, we had near perfect weather for range, mostly 25-30C temps, low humidity, light winds, except for the strong South-Westerly heading back into Geraldton and Perth, we never drove faster than 100kmh as the livestock and local wildlife are totally unpredictable and unforgiving, the biggest improvement on range though is the 19inch wheel and tyre combination.
Ive driven the Perth-Broome route consistently over the years, I was confident the power supply was available, MDK and Technopile confirmed the Nullarbor route and I can see no reason it's not the same across the rest of the country, the only 3 small issues are 1. The owner and manager of each location are likely to be two different people with different mind sets, for instance the manager on the phone may say yes, when you arrive at the venue the owner says no. 2. You need to carry a clear photo of a 5 pin 3 phase outlet as many won't know what it looks like even though there's one on the wall behind them. 3. A large majority of Regional folks have no idea what a Tesla is, it's like a Dolean has just driven in to 1950s Hill Valley, I was half expecting old man Peabody to come storming out blazing away with his shotgun on some occasions.