Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners with Dash Cams

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you install the cam to your car's 12V?

I connected mine to the 12v connector behind the mirror. Mating connectors are readily available at your neighborhood hobby shop.

Always on, 64GB gives me roughly 3 days of rolling video from the blackvue's 2 cameras. I do wish the GPS was more reliable. But the video is what I was looking for. I hope I never need it.

Huh? It's ordered by time stamp. It could be a thousand terabytes and would be just as easy to find.
I know it is ordered by time stamp. I am just lazy enough to dislike scrolling to find the day, minutes and seconds. If nothing happened a day ago, it can be overwritten in the next 2 days with a 16 GB card. My dashcam is program to only record on impact (park and driving). No motion detection and no normal recording. When travelling, I can always do a manual initiated recording by touching the side of the dashcam.

Sandisk just released a 128gb microsd that can read at 275 mb/sec and write at 100 mb/sec. I use this card in my Galaxy S7, no jerks or quirkiness with HD video when using this card.

SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro UHS-II microSDXC SDSQXPJ-128G-ANCM3

@slim:

I came across this post in the UK Blackvue Forum regarding best 64 GB micro SD cards for the 650. It appears the faster the card is in read & write, the less it's compatible with the 650. In addition, it also causes macroblocking, pixilation and stuttering, not to mention overheating. Interesting article. I know the study is done on 64 GB cards, but I guess it can be extrapolated to 128 GB ones.

64GB Micro SD cards for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH (Page 1) / The Best 64GB Micro SD for Blackvue DR650GW-2CH,DR600GW and DR750LW-CH Dashcams / Blackvue UK Forum

@slim:
It appears the faster the card is in read & write, the less it's compatible with the 650.
You are way overgeneralizing. If we take your statement literally, the most compatible card would be the absolute slowest card, which of course is not true. The post you referenced tested cards not speced for video recording (V-rating, such as V10, V20, V30, etc). The reason why faster cards can have problems video recording is because some are optimized for fast bursts, such as high res picture taking, rather than steady bitrate video. The other reason can be that fast cards can boost their clocks to achieve high speeds and that causes increased power consumption, which produces heat, which can contribute to overheating. Anyhow, long story short I would avoid making such generic statements.

Mines been running 24x7 for 18 months. Its got power from the ODBII connector (I made an adapter). Same original memory card and no issues. Its smart enough to not record times when there's no movement which works well in a garage but not outside were trees move etc. Even at lowest sensitivity the trees still trigger it to record.

SvC would not touch my install and instead recommended a gopro. :eek: Instead, I selected a Blackvue650, flawlessly installed by Al & Eds Autosound in ~2 hours. The shop also suggested Allucam which was slightly less expensive but not as sleek of a camera unit.

FWIW, my installer indicated that virtually all of his Tesla owners purchase Blackvue.

You only need about last day's worth of video. The idea being, in the event of an accident or damage, you can recover last 1-2 days worth and review it and find out who banged your car and who was at fault. You then lock that file, so it won't get overwritten, and copy it to your mac/pc, and let the camera record in a roll again (overwrite old files).

And no Tesla won't install these, and Tesla will tell you that installing these could void your warranty. But plenty of third party shops will install them, and you could do it yourself (takes a couple of hours).

If it's taking you a couple hours, you're doing it wrong. It takes about 15-20 minutes to install a front/rear Blackvue 650 in a Tesla with a Pano roof. Double that if you've never done it before.

There's also a constant 12v supply coming from the OBDII port which means no splicing or modifying existing Tesla wiring. I run mine off this:

Amazon.com: Diageng Low Profile Right or Left Angle OBD 2 II Extension with Flat Ribbon Cable 1'/30cm CAN Bus Compatible: Automotive

spliced into the power cable for the blackvue.
Can you show me a pic of how/what/where you spliced this? This looks like the cleanest AND easiest method without tapping into fuses or other potentially warranty voiding methods. Thanks!

I'm kind of just thinking of connecting a Go Pro Session up behind the windshield. Could get 1080p60 video and it could be used for other things outside of being a dashcam. Lacks some features like GPS, g-force sensor but does offer a reasonably inexpensive multi-use option... plus could likely hide a long USB cable for extended power.

I'm kind of just thinking of connecting a Go Pro Session up behind the windshield. Could get 1080p60 video and it could be used for other things outside of being a dashcam. Lacks some features like GPS, g-force sensor but does offer a reasonably inexpensive multi-use option... plus could likely hide a long USB cable for extended power.
Well you'd need two if you wanted to cover the rear of your car, too. Besides, a huge part of my getting a BlackVue is in case I come out of the grocery store and find a cracked bumper with someone else's paint on it. I definitely want to be able to track that person down. good luck doing that with a GoPro unless you buy two, run external power to both, and never move them. Then you may as well just get a dual-feed dashcam.

Reactions: javawolfpack