Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P for Performance or Party Trick

Is the P for Performance or Party Trick

• Performance

Votes: 45 51.1%
  • Party Trick

Votes: 43 48.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The baseline car is pretty darn good with regards to braking, handling, etc, certainly for a car of its size. Could Tesla offer tweaks like the used to do with the P+, perhaps but I get the feeling that the take rate was pretty low and its not worth the supply chain and manufacturing complexity.

I find the P is definitely worth it for an instant Tesla Grin at a stoplight, but is also useful with freeway merges, getting out of tricky situations, etc, so, perhaps the answer is a little bit of both.

I thought there was more to the performance upgrade than just a bigger motor. Specifically, I thought we got a stiffer suspension and staggered tires.

Currently the performance models do not have any different tires/suspensions than the non-performance variants. At least that's according to what is communicated in the design center when you build your car to order, i.e., no differences are stated. Three years ago when I built my car, I had the P+ option which had different suspension and staggered wheels. That's no longer the case - they are all the same.

In my opinion it's 50% performance, 50% party trick. The 0-60 acceleration is great, but the passing power above 80 MPH still doesn't match gasoline cars with equal horsepower ratings.

Mine is a P85+ and it really is performance (better handling in particular I've been told). But spending 40k on a ludicrous upgrade to do 0-60 in less then 2.5 seems overkill for me. Hell the regular D Tesla is still 0-60 in 4 secs which is not slow by any means!

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Mine is a P85+ and it really is performance (better handling in particular I've been told). But spending 40k on a ludicrous upgrade to do 0-60 in less then 2.5 seems overkill for me. Hell the regular D Tesla is still 0-60 in 4 secs which is not slow by any means!

The P85+ suspension w/ staggered wheels is the most rock solid, amazing suspension that Tesla put on this car. It's a shame that it is no longer available. Every time I drive a P85+ loaner the handling takes my breath away.

If I had a P-whatever-D, I wouldn't do full launches except to show it off to others and get their reaction so to me it's a party trick. I do like fast acceleration, but like Nick B said, the non-P models are still plenty quick.

If cash is no object, do I want the fastest production car ever? YES.

Am I grateful I can afford a loaded 90D (or 100d) that still clocks in at a 4 second 0-60 and still pay for 8 kids to go to college? Double Yes. I'm a blessed dude.

Can't wait for the damn thing to get here.

My wife insists that the P is not for Performance but stands for Party Trick. I some what agree. Is faster in a straight line better performance if you can't corner any better, brake any faster or harder? Is 40K from a 100D to a P100D worth the better Performance or the Party Trick depending on what side of the argument your on.

DHG, love your car by the way. . . Was a struggle between silver with gray 21s and black interior or what I got. . . Tough call. Good looking car.

Is 40K from a 100D to a P100D worth the better Performance or the Party Trick depending on what side of the argument your on.

Is a Patek Philippe worth tens of thousands?
Is a handmade Neopolitan suit worth thousands?
Is a certain scotch worth $300 per bottle?
Is the Kastle MX88 ski worth $1,100 per pair?

Only you can decide ...

Is it worth it to spend $40,000 or so just to get to 60 mph or 100 km/hr a shade quicker?
The Performance models should not be classed as "Green" cars or energy efficient models either.
They go through tires a lot quicker, they consume more energy, they require more charging.
Of course there are folks who don't drive the car in this manner.
Tell me how the Performance model S or X is a sustainable car?

Is it worth it to spend $40,000 or so just to get to 60 mph or 100 km/hr a shade quicker? ... Tell me how the Performance model S or X is a sustainable car?
By vaporizing the old thinking that EVs are ugly/slugs/nofun and reframing Tesla as a main stream (even tho expensive) car where you get to choose (most of) what performance, luxury, economy you want in your vehicle. Obviously with M3 coming on board at lower price, Tesla will become even more mainstream as a vehicle choices. *THIS* is the way to change minds and hearts away from polluting ICE to sustainable EV.

Is it worth it to spend $40,000 or so just to get to 60 mph or 100 km/hr a shade quicker?
The Performance models should not be classed as "Green" cars or energy efficient models either.
They go through tires a lot quicker, they consume more energy, they require more charging.
Of course there are folks who don't drive the car in this manner.
Tell me how the Performance model S or X is a sustainable car?

says the guy who jerry-rigged a P75D badge!?!

this poll will come down to: all non-P owners voting "party trick" and all P-owners voting "performance". the former to make them feel better about not having P power. the latter because they know it's about much more than a 0-60 launch.

i just ordered a P100D Model X. i chose it over the 100D because the extra power simply transforms the car. feels 2,000lbs lighter. even if i NEVER launched from a stand-still (i.e. party trick), i would still get the P. it has nothing to do with that, honestly.

The Performance models should not be classed as "Green" cars or energy efficient models either. They go through tires a lot quicker, they consume more energy, they require more charging.

Bah. Compared to a high performance gas car, they are much more efficient. We get 380Wh/mi average with ours which is 88 MPGe, I believe. And that's with a lead foot! That's still way better energy efficiency than any gas powered vehicle. And we only charge it once a day (or every other day) just like everyone else.

Here's the sobering fact and why Tesla is winning: I would be driving a gas powered Porsche or BMW or Mercedes right now, every day, if it were not for the amazing performance I experienced the first time I test drove a Model S 85. Once I realized the performance was on-par with gas powered vehicles (and better in some aspects) I converted. There was no other way to get me to switch.

Is the P-series as efficient as a Volt or Leaf? No. But I would never buy those cars, it's not competing with them. The P-series converts the performance car crowd away from gas to more efficient electric drive.