Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P for Performance or Party Trick

Is the P for Performance or Party Trick

• Performance

Votes: 45 51.1%
  • Party Trick

Votes: 43 48.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it's different for everyone, but for me it's been a party trick. The area I live in is just too congested to ever get a piece of open road, and my commute is way too short, so I suppose it's mostly my fault. :(

There might be more of an argument for Ludicrous mode being a party trick than simply being a P model. Granted, the fact that Ludicrous comes with the currently available P model, it may be a little more difficult to separate the two than in the recent past.

Last edited:
upload_2017-2-11_12-17-22.png

The P is for BOTH Performance AND Party Trick

Performance for the driver to be able to get ahead of any other car from a stoplight

Party Trick for everybody who hasn't experienced a PXXD Insane or Ludicrous launch... and get an ear-to-ear smile and giggle like they haven't since they were a kid. PRICELESS... and makes instant Tesla converts from people who otherwise wouldn't consider a Tesla.

Reactions: thecloud and SDRick
As a P90DL owner I'd say party trick. You're paying for a feature that most people would only use to show off in very specific situations, it's not performance that has much value to real world performance driving (except having better acceleration at freeway speeds, where the 90D is weak, is a real plus). On my previous performance vehicles I'd take them to the track to use the features as they were designed, but the MS is not a track car.

Other features that I'd say are not worth the money are the upgraded sound system, which sounds like a transistor radio compared to the B&O sound system in my BMW. Spend the same money on an aftermarket system if you are an audiophile. Also the air suspension, although if you have a driveway where your car scrapes it might be worth it.

I bought a PDL as they were practically giving them away in the 3rd quarter last year (I got a $140k car for the same lease payment as the $100k car I was previously driving), but anyone new to the car I would strongly advise that you could put the additional 30 or 40 grand to better use elsewhere for the occasional thrill.

My wife insists that the P is not for Performance but stands for Party Trick. I some what agree. Is faster in a straight line better performance if you can't corner any better, brake any faster or harder? Is 40K from a 100D to a P100D worth the better Performance or the Party Trick depending on what side of the argument your on.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again.

The P100D is NOT a car for the masses. The target audience for this car are Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. owners that want a 3rd, 4th, or 5th car and want bragging rights to having a "horse in the barn" that is faster from 0-60 than anyone else.

And for these buyers, that extra 40k is NOTHING. These are people that are used to spending 300k to 2 million on a car. It's chump change for most of them.

The P100D is NOT a car for the masses. The target audience for this car are Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. owners that want a 3rd, 4th, or 5th car and want bragging rights to having a "horse in the barn" that is faster from 0-60 than anyone else.

And for these buyers, that extra 40k is NOTHING. These are people that are used to spending 300k to 2 million on a car. It's chump change for most of them.

i don't own a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I'm not someone who goes to the track -- if I was, the Tesla P100D would not be for me. My previous car was a Dodge. But I do have some money, so there's that.

I don't think most P100D owners are people who own a half dozen cars. it'd be an interesting poll, though.

you can say it as many times as you like, that doesn't make it true.

quite the opposite - i think the P100D is for people who only want ONE car, that does everything. Instead of having a sports car, and an SUV, and a sedan, and a minivan. you get all of that in one vehicle, the P100D (more the X than S, but you know what i mean).

i remember Brooks from DragTimes said in the Model X forum a while ago that a P100D Model X is "too much $. come on, it's just an SUV." HOWEVER, he also has a Ferrari, McLaren, Ford GT, Model S, Model X, and god knows what else in his garage. so if he wants to go fast, he has other options. but for someone who only wants 1 car, and can afford it, the P100D Model S or X is the panacea.

Reactions: HebrHmr and Nick B

Interesting how comfortable some people are putting others in a box no matter how off the mark that portrayal is.

Party trick, just consider it a donation to Tesla. It's fun but not worth it. Better save the money and pick up a spare car. These cars are not performance cars, and are not even luxury cars. They are niche market premium cars. Your wife is right. Don't tell her I said so.

how important is going 0-60 in under 4 seconds to anyone?
in the day to day world that many of us live in the ability to be one of the fastest off the line cars on the road really isn't that useful, it wastes precious range.
the standard D offers as much performance as I need.
YMMV

how important is going 0-60 in under 4 seconds to anyone?

very important, obviously, given the price.

in the day to day world that many of us live in the ability to be one of the fastest off the line cars on the road really isn't that useful, it wastes precious range.

my range isn't precious. i almost never come close to driving over 300 miles in a single day. in fact, driving like a maniac in this car is far cheaper than driving like a maniac in an ICE car, in terms of fuel cost (and likely maintenance cost as well, but that's harder to prove).

the standard D offers as much performance as I need.
YMMV

nobody buys a Tesla to fill a NEED. this is a car that fulfills desires and fantasies. even at the lowest trim levels, anyone who says they "need" this car is lying to themselves. if you want a car that merely meets your needs, get a Ford Fiesta.

Last edited:
Reactions: bkp_duke
My 60D fills a need. We have one car. It gets my family from point a to point b safely. The car is electric. It can take us to visit in laws in upstate NY. All but the last requirement were satisfied by my amazing Nissan leaf. I would've gotten a cheaper EV if it met those requirements. The Tesla fits the bill perfectly and isn't because I wanted a fantasy fulfilled. The El was our prior transportation before our leaf.