Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Easter Egg ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as a P100D owner, it is so absurd to me that people would get their panties in a bunch over a bonus feature like this. it's obviously just gravy. i don't get the whining.

are there any actual P100D owners upset about it not being released (or at least not found) yet, or is it just chirping from the peanut gallery?

I just picked up my P100D today, and I don't really care when the Easter Egg comes out. As others said the AP features that are still missing is much more of an issue. I was just interested in why Elon would boast about something like its release was imminent and then nothing but crickets for weeks and weeks. Why not just wait until it is ready to say anything at all? It was just an Easter Egg bonus feature in the first place, so not something anyone was expecting and surely didn't move the needle on their stock price. There was no pressure for him to announce it early.

Reactions: mdevp
I just picked up my P100D today, and I don't really care when the Easter Egg comes out. As others said the AP features that are still missing is much more of an issue. I was just interested in why Elon would boast about something like its release was imminent and then nothing but crickets for weeks and weeks. Why not just wait until it is ready to say anything at all? It was just an Easter Egg bonus feature in the first place, so not something anyone was expecting and surely didn't move the needle on their stock price. There was no pressure for him to announce it early.

You're new here aren't you? :) Welcome! That's just the way Tesla works. "Elon time" is a non-standard "t-axis" employed by Tesla. Research is ongoing but my own observation is that you can precisely map Elon time to more conventional Newtonian time by way of the following mapping function:

Te = Ce*Cu*Tn + Cw + Cwtf

where:

- Te is Elon time, measured in standard time units.
- Tn is standard Newtonian time, measured in standard time units
- Ce is the Coefficient of Elon, which varies from 1.3 to 1.6, based on how badly Elon wants something done NOW.
- Cu is the Coefficient of Urgency, which varies from 1.1 to 1.3, based on how urgently owners want something NOW
- Cw is the Weekend Correction Term, which adjusts for the fact that something that's supposed to done on either Thursday or Friday is never done until the Tuesday after the intervening weekend.
- Cwtf is the WTF constant, which is a term that is exactly the opposite of constant, and is in-fact produced by a highly sophisticated random number generator, using an algorithm known only to Elon and his inner circle of high priests.

This mapping function appears to be closely related to the Jobsian "Reality Distortion Field" previously employed by Apple Computer. Some researchers think that the two concepts may in-fact be different manifestations of the same underlying physical principle.

Last edited:
You're new here aren't you? :) Welcome! That's just the way Tesla works. "Elon time" is a non-standard "t-axis" employed by Tesla. Research is ongoing but my own observation is that you can precisely map Elon time to more conventional Newtonian time by way of the following mapping function:

where:

- Ce is the Coefficient of Elon, which varies from 1.3 to 1.6, based on how badly Elon wants something done NOW.
- Cu is the Coefficient of Urgency, which varies from 1.1 to 1.3, based on how urgently owners want something NOW
- Cw is the Weekend Correction Term, which adjusts for the fact that something that's supposed to done on either Thursday or Friday is never done until the Tuesday after the intervening weekend.
- Cwtf is the WTF constant, which is a term that is exactly the opposite of constant, and is in-fact produced by a highly sophisticated random number generator, using an algorithm known only to Elon and his inner circle of high priests.

This mapping function appears to be closely related to the Jobsian "Reality Distortion Field" previously employed by Apple Computer. Some researchers think that the two concepts may in-fact be different manifestations of the same underlying physical principle.
Very nice description! :)

You're new here aren't you? :) Welcome! ...
Once again, sandpiper proves that science conquers all. This level of understanding of the universe has been previously demonstrated only by Albert Einstein* and Douglas Adams**.
* whose notion of gravitational waves is only now being proven by observation.
** whose answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" provides Elon's Universal Constant-:42.

So, sandpiper, can you explain how Elon's Universal Constant is not required in your otherwise Nobel-worthy exposition?

where:

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

Once again, sandpiper proves that science conquers all. This level of understanding of the universe has been previously demonstrated only by Albert Einstein* and Douglas Adams**.
* whose notion of gravitational waves is only now being proven by observation.
** whose answer to "Life, the Universe and Everything" provides Elon's Universal Constant-:42.

So, sandpiper, can you explain how Elon's Universal Constant is not required in your otherwise Nobel-worthy exposition?

:) The paper is out for peer review, and I welcome refinement and critiques from other researchers.

where:

:) The paper is out for peer review, and I welcome refinement and critiques from other researchers.

Thanks for the clarification, Dr. sandpiper. I therefore offer the following adjustment:

Te = Ce*Cu*Tn + Cltue

where:

- Cltue is 42.

Justification: Until very recently neither mathematicians nor physicists were successful in their efforts to isolate the underlying structures supporting the WTC constant. Their perennial problems were, of course, the inconstant nature of the constant and the neo-religious nature of the suppositions induced by the lack of relevant observations and the near-impossibility of making such observations. Very recently major new discoveries were allowed through coincidental discoveries that accompanied the very recent observation of gravitational waves.
(2a) These observations were made by 2 (two) Collaborations, the Virgo and LIGO. 2 (Two) is the first primary pseudoperfect number;
(2b) 2 (Two) detectors observed the gravitational waves; and,
(2c) binary black hole masses merged to produce the gravitational waves, so

(6) [2a+2b+2c]=6(six) which is the second primary pseudoperfect number

The new discoveries allowing Ctue to be determined definitively to carry the value 42 were three (obviously since 42 is the third primary pseudoperfect number):
1. Deep Thought did determine that the answer was 42, of course, but neglected to inform the nature of the question;
2. The Tesla team, failing in their quest to name their new model "E", reverted to 3;
3. The final discovery of the six components as listed established the inevitability of 42 as the answer.

In summary the progression of 2 to 6 led necessarily to 42 as the Cltue

Entirely in retrospect one of the collaborators in this submission postulates that the Jobsian "Reality Distortion Field" may well as been a creature of Cltue itself. Further research will be required to evaluate that postulate.

Reactions: sandpiper
There are people who bought a P100DL because it was faster than their P90DL. Not even talking about the extra range. Because they townthe car to a drag venue. Some 12-15% more cells. What does the car deliver for that, really?
Even if the buyers are content to get 0.1 second to both 60mph and 1/4 miles, it's still a disappointing result. An engineering fail, I'd even be so bold to say. So much hype of the increased performance. A marketing victory though, selling a $10k extra option to people who take a $30-40k? Depreciation hit on their still new cars, to get the ever so slightly faster one just out. I suppose the buyers deserve it. And Tesla could use a happy money story.

• Disagree
Reactions: HebrHmr and xborg
There are people who bought a P100DL because it was faster than their P90DL. Not even talking about the extra range. Because they townthe car to a drag venue. Some 12-15% more cells. What does the car deliver for that, really?
Even if the buyers are content to get 0.1 second to both 60mph and 1/4 miles, it's still a disappointing result.
What's this based on? The Motortrend 2.6s/10.9s P90D result? Something that no one else has ever replicated? Something which clearly points to Motortrend getting a beta pack, or unrestricted software that probably allowed pulling enough runs to do that while probably killing the pack in the process?

Tesla gets hit with it's own fudging of the numbers here, not just with 0-60. How exactly do you tell people that your 100 pack has like 15 more kWh that your 90 pack, when you lied about the 90?

Reactions: xborg
and while I've started ranting again: Every now and then buying the 100 pack upgrade crosses my mind. But then I think of all the reasons I don't know about how I will be disappointed with my purchase. I might as well pull $21k from the bank in singles, grab a nice scotch, and spend the evening watching a giant pile of cash burn.

Just going over the ways in which I could imagine being disappointed. The 85 packs seemed to have very very low degradation. 90's seem to be worse. Now with many years of experience, maybe the 100 is engineered to arrive at the 70% replacement threshold immediately after the pack warranty expires. So I'll have a $170k 70kWh Model S? Maybe that's why it appears to be so under-specified. Probably should have been called 105 or 110 instead, if we have any consistency at all.

• Funny
Reactions: Tech_Guy
Even if the buyers are content to get 0.1 second to both 60mph and 1/4 miles, it's still a disappointing result. An engineering fail, I'd even be so bold to say. So much hype of the increased performance. A marketing victory though, selling a $10k extra option to people who take a $30-40k? Depreciation hit on their still new cars, to get the ever so slightly faster one just out. I suppose the buyers deserve it. And Tesla could use a happy money story.

An engineering fail? You've clearly established in your other posts that you don't own a Tesla. Now I'm beginning to question whether you've even driven one.

Where is all this hype you're referencing about increased performance? This? ...I'll paraphrase the blog for you:
- We have this new sweet car that we think will do 0-60 in 2.5 with a 1' rollout
- It will be the 3rd fastest production car next to some exotics that cost over $1 million
- The range will also increase
- The X is going to get it too
- If you have a P90DL on order you can upgrade for $10k, if you already have a P90DL you can upgrade for $20k because we have to recycle your pack
- We recognize our margin is ridiculously high but take comfort in the fact you'll be supporting sustainable transportation for the masses

That's the only official release on the matter that I could find. Did Tesla promise something with the P100D that they didn't deliver on? No. So how is it a failure? In fact they did the opposite. They sold a car with an estimated 0-60 of 2.5 and now I might be getting one that does 2.4. Who cares? If you had actually driven one you wouldn't. Try a launch...space and time literally freeze and then you're going 60 mph.

Reactions: Mach Schnell!

Seriously? You must not follow the 1/4 mile threads on the P90DL. Majority of the P90DL's are in the 11 second 1/4 mile time, with only the most recent P90DLs hitting 10's, while the P100's are in the 10.7's. So most went from 11.1 down to 10.7 in the quarter mile, That's HUGE.

Seriously? You must not follow the 1/4 mile threads on the P90DL. Majority of the P90DL's are in the 11 second 1/4 mile time, with only the most recent P90DLs hitting 10's, while the P100's are in the 10.7's. So most went from 11.1 down to 10.7 in the quarter mile, That's HUGE.

Pretty much this. While there are a few (very few) P90DL cars that put up a sub 11 second 1/4 mile time, the reality is that the vast majority of those who tried were not able to prove out the original performance claims. Tesla suffered some reputation capital on ownership forums, such as this one.

The reality is that both the P90DL and the P100D are huge marketing wins for the company. Marketing departments never deal with reality.

Reactions: xborg
ORLY? How about I keep my pack instead of Tesla recycling it and they can only charge me $10k instead? I'm sure that will work out. o_O

Probably because the delta between a new 90kW pack and a new 100kW pack is about $10,000 to Tesla. By charging $20,000 to take a used 90kW pack and upgrade to a new 100kW pack Tesla is stating that the depreciation of the 90kW pack is about 50%. In the larger scale this isn't really all that unreasonable. Individually, is a judgement call for the consumer.