Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ compatible wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The TSW wheels have a big bore of seventy something mm and you use a hub spacer to shrink it down for centering. The spacer it came with could only get pushed in exactly flush with the back of the wheel, so it would not accommodate for the step on the hub. The tire shop grinded down the spacer to allow for the step to fit inside the wider part of the wheel.

That sounds complicated, but it makes sense. I will get a picture when the put them in.

Here is a pic of the step on the hub and the step in the wheel for the spacer:

I think a pic of the grinded down ring and of it installed in the wheel or on the hub would answer a lot of questions ...if you can post some.

I finally got the MXM4 tires on the car and was able to do some distance runs, went from 345 on the 4S tires to 300wh/mi on the MXM4. Both sets were at 45psi. Big difference in tire noise as well, very quiet on the MX. Both sets of tires are 235. There is a big jump when you go from 65 to 75.

Don't think the 19 versus 20 would make any difference. FWIW the MXM4 tires were mounted on the 19" rims.

I finally got the MXM4 tires on the car and was able to do some distance runs, went from 345 on the 4S tires to 300wh/mi on the MXM4. Both sets were at 45psi. Big difference in tire noise as well, very quiet on the MX. Both sets of tires are 235. There is a big jump when you go from 65 to 75.

Don't think the 19 versus 20 would make any difference. FWIW the MXM4 tires were mounted on the 19" rims.

Are these generic MXM4 or tesla spec LRR/ acoustic foam MXM4s?

Curious, how does it make your wh/mi go from 345 to 300? Is it because of the wheels and tires? What factor is in play?

To my knowledge my MXM4 tires do not have the foam lining, I was not aware that they made them with the lining. My S with the Goodyear Tires do have the foam lining. I looked on tirerack and could not find a LRR spec for the Michelin.

If you look at the TireRack MXM4 here, it specifically calls out Green Focus and Tesla acoustic spec. I learned recently that within a particular model of Tire, OEMs can have special formulations so there can be huge variation even within the same tire line up. That's why I'm aiming to get 18" rims for my spare set so I can get the Tesla spec LRR tires with foam.

If you look at the TireRack MXM4 here, it specifically calls out Green Focus and Tesla acoustic spec. I learned recently that within a particular model of Tire, OEMs can have special formulations so there can be huge variation even within the same tire line up. That's why I'm aiming to get 18" rims for my spare set so I can get the Tesla spec LRR tires with foam.

My only issue with the foam is that, if you get a nail most/some shops won’t patch a tire with foam. With my track record on all my cars...I had to get a tire patched more often than not, before it was time to replace the tire.

My only issue with the foam is that, if you get a nail most/some shops won’t patch a tire with foam. With my track record on all my cars...I had to get a tire patched more often than not, before it was time to replace the tire.

I've seen videos where you can easily patch a tire with foam, by simply removing the foam in the area that needs to be patched. A more understandable issue is the fix-a-flat goop that comes with certain tire inflation kits supposedly don't work as well if at all with the foam in the way.

On the main topic, I was looking at all the MXM4 variations on TireRack and they all have the "Green Focus" as part of the description so I assume its a LRR tire regardless of OEM spec.

I’ve been searching for 9.5-10.0 rims that will fit the P3D+ without a spacer. Has anyone found a rim that will work? If I can find the rims I’m going to put r88r 275/35/19 or 20 tires on and take it to an autocross event next month. Any help is appreciated.

I’ve been searching for 9.5-10.0 rims that will fit the P3D+ without a spacer. Has anyone found a rim that will work? If I can find the rims I’m going to put r88r 275/35/19 or 20 tires on and take it to an autocross event next month. Any help is appreciated.

I can help as i'm also looking for a set of autocross wheels for my P3D+. It will be tough to find something in 10" width with +35 offset for 275's, i know that Mountain pass is currently running that size (square) on their RWD car but they report very little (if any) clearance to the suspension and the P3D+ has 5mm thinner rotors, so that won't work. You might be able to do something like a 19x10 +30 but not positive.

I'm personally going to order some 19x9.5 +33 wheels with the hub machined to fit over the lip on the P3D+. There are a few places that can do this, i'm currently looking at getting some V710FF from VMR Wheels and can report back in a few weeks. Planning to run 265's on them.

Last edited:
I can help as i'm also looking for a set of autocross wheels for my P3D+. It will be tough to find something in 10" width with +35 offset for 275's, i know that Mountain pass is currently running that size (square) on their RWD car but they report very little (if any) clearance to the suspension and the P3D+ has 5mm thinner rotors, so that won't work. You might be able to do something like a 19x10 +30 but not positive.

I'm personally going to order some 19x9.5 +33 wheels with the hub machined to fit over the lip on the P3D+. There are a few places that can do this, i'm currently looking at getting some V710FF from VMR Wheels and can report back in a few weeks. Planning to run 265's on them.

Thank you for the help. Will VMR machine them for you?