Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ does not feel as fast as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prior of taking delivery of my P3D+ I drove an AWD Dual Long range and was impressed with acceleration. I got motion sickness at first launches.

I was excited that my P3D+ will feel even faster based on internet reviews, however it does not feel faster to be honest.

I am starting to think something is wrong with the car, only drove 200 miles. I do not have a precise gps to measure acceleration times but is there other way to confirm that is doing the 3.2 s adcertised by Tesla?

Prior of taking delivery of my P3D+ I drove an AWD Dual Long range and was impressed with acceleration. I got motion sickness at first launches.

I was excited that my P3D+ will feel even faster based on internet reviews, however it does not feel faster to be honest.

I am starting to think something is wrong with the car, only drove 200 miles. I do not have a precise gps to measure acceleration times but is there other way to confirm that is doing the 3.2 s adcertised by Tesla?

As a starting point just confirm that your car shows the red underline on the screen. If you don't have that, you definitely have a problem. If you do have it, then you might have a problem (but probably not). EDIT: As @MagnusMako made clear...the fix is easy if you don't have the red underline - just contact Tesla to get your software updated to what you paid for.

Last edited:
I went from AWD non-P to Performance-. I don't if afeel much if any difference in my daily driving. Mashing the pedal is when I feel the difference, along with needed additional restraint to not smoke all the fools who step to me.

That badge tho!

I'm with Alan - they may have forgot to flash your car to the Performance firmware needed to turn it into the P3D acceleration. This has happened many many times to people on these forums. Just talk with your SA if you don't see the red underline and they'll be able to get the software updated overnight via OTA for you. You should definitely notice a difference from a standstill launch.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
As a starting point just confirm that your car shows the red underline on the screen. If you don't have that, you definitely have a problem. If you do have it, then you might have a problem (but probably not). EDIT: As @MagnusMako made clear...the fix is easy if you don't have the red underline - just contact Tesla to get your software updated to what you paid for.

I do have the red underline on the screen. So I assume the right software is loaded.

Your foot is probably too light.
Could be you are in Chill mode or something as well, so check that on the drive screen.
In regular driving they should drive the same, accelerate on a highway the same. (P and the AWD)
Acceleration from a standstill if you floor the pedal, there is a big difference.

I don't think most notice much of a difference in light footed/daily driving, but I've noticed a massive difference when I floor it either from a stop or rolling up to about 50mph. I've had a few fast cars, but there really isn't much that can touch the Model 3 performance up to about 80mph maybe even a little higher. I would suggest getting the dragy or an app or something to objectively compare times, because it could just be that you're already fairly used to the Tesla type of acceleration. The best I measured 0-60 in my mid range car was 4.8 seconds, but I've seen 0-60 in 3.0 in my stealth performance which is a significant improvement obviously. I never tracked the mid range car, but I consistently get 11.5-11.6 quarter mile now which is very fast by anyone's measure.

Where are you supposed to see the red line? In the app or somewhere on the screen in the car?

Is this what we talking about

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191008-211018.png
    Screenshot_20191008-211018.png
    694 KB · Views: 165
Definitely notice the most punch from a standing stop. In gear acceleration is less of a dramatic difference, if you look at speed/torque comparisons across the models, you see less gap at the rolling speed levels.

Also, I think the more you get used to the instant torque, the less of an impact it has, it becomes your new normal.

I plan to rent an ICE car for a day soon, just to recalibrate my senses!

Where did you test drive this "AWD dual long range" tesla? When I took a test drive in a tesla model 3, ALL of them were model 3 performance models. Are you 100% sure you didnt actually test drive a performance model, and thus expect something "faster" than that when you were actually driving the fastest model 3?