Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D- is absolutely ridiculous!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of the P3D- and I have to say it is an absolute blast!!! I loved the RWD LR model I had before, but this is on a whole new level of utter ridiculousness (in a good way).

The sheer brutal, violent acceleration of the P3D- is no joke. The RWD has a nice punch, but the P3D is like a punch to the throat and stomach. It’s so quick.

If you’re on the fence, go for it. It’s a great value (relatively speaking of course). To me, this is the best Tesla Model 3 configuration available, and it’s not even close. For under 50K you can get a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and change, while retaining good ride quality and excellent range thanks to the Aero wheels.

I won’t lie, I wasn’t a fan of the Aeros at all, and it was one of the main reasons why I was considering the PUP, but I suggest just getting over it or buying an extra set of wheels, or removing the covers and getting the wheel cap kit. The wheels make a huge difference in range, ride quality, and overall cost savings (no bent rims, Uber-expensive rubber, etc).

One of my favorite things about this config is just how much of a sleeper it is. This is the definition of a sleeper car, and I love that. It’s relatively low key, (well, as low key as you can be in a Model 3) which is my preference. It’s so unassuming, outside of the small Dual Motor badge with the red underline. It lends a subtle hint as to what this thing is capable of, but it’s otherwise completely unassuming. But like others have said, those who know, know. And that folks is why the P3D- is the best Tesla vehicle configuration in my opinion.

Just took delivery of the P3D- and I have to say it is an absolute blast!!! I loved the RWD LR model I had before, but this is on a whole new level of utter ridiculousness (in a good way).

The sheer brutal, violent acceleration of the P3D- is no joke. The RWD has a nice punch, but the P3D is like a punch to the throat and stomach. It’s so quick.

If you’re on the fence, go for it. It’s a great value (relatively speaking of course). To me, this is the best Tesla Model 3 configuration available, and it’s not even close. For under 50K you can get a car that does 0-60 in 3 seconds and change, while retaining good ride quality and excellent range thanks to the Aero wheels.

I won’t lie, I wasn’t a fan of the Aeros at all, and it was one of the main reasons why I was considering the PUP, but I suggest just getting over it or buying an extra set of wheels, or removing the covers and getting the wheel cap kit. The wheels make a huge difference in range, ride quality, and overall cost savings (no bent rims, Uber-expensive rubber, etc).

One of my favorite things about this config is just how much of a sleeper it is. This is the definition of a sleeper car, and I love that. It’s relatively low key, (well, as low key as you can be in a Model 3) which is my preference. It’s so unassuming, outside of the small Dual Motor badge with the red underline. It lends a subtle hint as to what this thing is capable of, but it’s otherwise completely unassuming. But like others have said, those who know, know. And that folks is why the P3D- is the best Tesla vehicle configuration in my opinion.

I have a P3D- and tried to like the Aero wheels for 6 months. But every time I saw RWD/AWD with 19” OEM wheels that looked than so much nicer than my “stealthy” Performance it drove me a little stir crazy. I finally caved and bought 19” OEM wheels. Now it looks as good as it goes :). I totally expected to lose 5-10% range. I lost nothing it’s all about the tires you use. My “summer” wh/mi with Aero’s (with covers) was 230 wh/mi and it’s still 230 with OEM 19”. See my signature for tires I chose.

Cost me $2800 and I got $1100 back for Aero’s. So it cost me $1700 out of pocket. And they are much better tires than the OEM 19” Continentals. Better, in that they are more efficient, quieter and will last longer. But they won’t have the same “track” grip as the Continentals. Some folks want grip more than anything.

I will still run Aero wheels with snow tires in Winter.

I have a P3D- and tried to like the Aero wheels for 6 months. But every time I saw RWD/AWD with 19” OEM wheels that looked than so much nicer than my “stealthy” Performance it drove me a little stir crazy. I finally caved and bought 19” OEM wheels. Now it looks as good as it goes :). I totally expected to lose 5-10% range. I lost nothing it’s all about the tires you use. My “summer” wh/mi with Aero’s (with covers) was 230 wh/mi and it’s still 230 with OEM 19”. See my signature for tires I chose.

Cost me $2800 and I got $1100 back for Aero’s. So it cost me $1700 out of pocket. And they are much better tires than the OEM 19” Continentals. Better, in that they are more efficient, quieter and will last longer. But they won’t have the same “track” grip as the Continentals. Some folks want grip more than anything.

Nice. I’m actually considering the same thing. Did you order the 19s from Tesla? I think the 19s are a good compromise. Plus they don’t require any suspension adjustments. I’m thinking about doing the same summer/winter setup. I’m thinking about getting a set off eBay, which should allow me to install myself without a service center visit that’s 1.5 hours away. Is there any flaw in my logic?

Mine is being delivered on Thursday. I can wait. Coming from a SR+.

Did yours have the Performance when you picked it up or did it need an update?
It had it upon pickup, but I did lots of communicating with my DA, who was awesome btw. Delivery of my initial RWD wasn’t great, but this delivery was awesome, and I saw no visual problems. Car was built at the beginning of this month.

Btw, My DA says that Tesla built these by mistake. He implied that someone on the line made a mistake and they didn’t catch it unit lots of these had been made. I’m not saying that’s not true, but it seems odd.

You better not drive a P100DL with Ludicrous enabled! My P3D+ is relatively tame in comparison, with a slight ramp up in acceleration from a standstill. The P100DL really slams the seat into you at launch. On my 30-minute test drive I launched it 6-8 times and by the end I was a little bit dizzy.

And that folks is why the P3D- is the best Tesla vehicle configuration in my opinion.
I agree. I seriously considered changing my P3D+ order to a P3D- when it was announced (mainly because of the 20" wheels) but stuck with the P3D+ because I ended up liking the overall look. The Alpharetta, GA DC had a bunch of P3D-s in stock when I picked up my car. It's a no-brainer if you've decided on a 3D.

Remove that badging. Any questions?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Aeros without wheel covers can also be refinished in BLACK.

This thread continues to twist the knife in my decision to buy a LR AWD just before the tax cut halved. Had I waited a few weeks I'd be experiencing this joy you speak of for the same price. Please, please, please may there be a path to upgrade to a P3D- in the near future…

</rant>

Enjoy the car!

Feel your pain. Enjoy what you got and who knows maybe Elon will throw us a bone down the line.