Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ misc info and pics- wheel weight, calipers, suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at Enkei TY-5 wheels in black for my winter setup. They have a 72.6mm bore which should clear the 69.7mm diameter lip on the P3D+, right?

TY-5 | Enkei Wheels

6DIjXPa.png

b0E23I0.png

Last edited:
I would go 18 if they fit. If not 19.
I Met up with a guy selling a set of 19’s today. The stud holes don’t fit. Apparent Tesla uses huge truck sized studs :/

Yeah, I'm not sure which cars use 14mm studs, but we'll need to be aware of that when looking for aftermarket wheels.

The 14mm studs are used on some sports cars to handle the added loads from cornering ... i.e. Porsche :cool:

How did you know to look for issues?
I wasn't looking for issues. I had the wheels off to check out the brakes, suspension, and everything else that can be seen from within the wheel well. Just noted items that seemed odd.

Is there a "receive your Tesla" check list somewhere?

I didn't use a physical checklist during delivery. Instead, I used a mental checklist based on what I've read. If you're interested, there are a variety of checklists out there. Just search the forum and you'll be sure to find them.

Reactions: redhaute
I think you mean thinner hats, the rotors themselves aren't thinner as that would be a downgrade in thermal capacity. Also want to clarify that the studs aren't shorter, that issue stems from the fact that my aftermarket wheels have a thicker back-pad than the stock wheels, with the spacers further adding to the problem, hence why I'm switching to 3mm spacers.

Thanks for diving in and experimenting with the spacers, @FlyNavy01 ! I saw in another thread you got the wheels on. I may have missed it somewhere, but were the 3mm spacers enough to push the wheel past the protruding "additional" hublip? Or did you end up reverting back to the 5mm spacers?

Question for all - Were we able to 100% confirm that the only vehicles that have this issue are the P3D+ (red brakes)? My understanding is the rotor hats may just be a bit thinner on these Performance Upgrade Option brakes (with 20" wheels machined accordingly).

Sorry if these questions seem redundant, I just figure it wouldn't hurt to cap the thread off with some concise answers (that I may have admittedly missed elsewhere on the forums).

Thanks for diving in and experimenting with the spacers, @FlyNavy01 ! I saw in another thread you got the wheels on. I may have missed it somewhere, but were the 3mm spacers enough to push the wheel past the protruding "additional" hublip? Or did you end up reverting back to the 5mm spacers?

Question for all - Were we able to 100% confirm that the only vehicles that have this issue are the P3D+ (red brakes)? My understanding is the rotor hats may just be a bit thinner on these Performance Upgrade Option brakes (with 20" wheels machined accordingly).

Sorry if these questions seem redundant, I just figure it wouldn't hurt to cap the thread off with some concise answers (that I may have admittedly missed elsewhere on the forums).
Yes, 3mm spacers have been working fine and they only cost $7/pair on amazon. The lip on my car seems to be only ~2mm or so just by eyeballing it.

I measured the lip to be protruding roughly 2.25mm, so the 3mm would be sufficient.

Yes, the only cars to have the changes in brakes are the P3D+.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
For those curious the 18x8.5 +30 flow one f2 from tire rack fit over the performance brakes, no spacers needed. Mine just came today. They are light, look nice, and the stock 18 in tires fit.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9sDka5vNazt1MppM6

That's really funny, I was looking at that exact set of wheels just 2 hours ago on TireRack. They now have a reasonable selection of tires compatible with our P3D+ if you select the Dual Motor Performance with Performance Brakes on the vehicle selector. Would love to see the whole setup once complete.

So did they drill out the 3mm lip on the wheel when it was delivered?

That's really funny, I was looking at that exact set of wheels just 2 hours ago on TireRack. They now have a reasonable selection of tires compatible with our P3D+ if you select the Dual Motor Performance with Performance Brakes on the vehicle selector. Would love to see the whole setup once complete.

So did they drill out the 3mm lip on the wheel when it was delivered?

No the hub is big enough to fit over the lip and the centric ring is recessed slightly into the wheel. If you zoom in on the intaglio picture you can just make it out. I did order 3mm spacers for the rear, can't decide if I want to or need to use them. I'm using them for my daily driver and saving the 4Ss for autoX. I'm not that great so the difference a re17r would make for me is minimal. I am waiting on my tpms to get programmed by a guy in the forum. He got them today and should be shipping them back to me tomorrow. Once they come I'll get them mounted and post pictures.

I also only got 7 turns when torquing these lugs down with my wheels, and the rule of thumb for minimum thread engagement is the same depth as the diameter of the bolt (14mm in our case), which corresponds to ~9.33 turns. This made me nervous, so I've ordered the same spacers but in 3mm this time, to hopefully get an extra 2 turns out of the lugs to barely get the minimum thread engagement.
Tire Rack recommends at least 7.5 turns for 14x1.5 threads

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=107&