Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear drive units on all RWD 85's were the same regardless of P designation.

I’m not sure this is entirely accurate. There was a certain batch that did accept both the P/non-P firmware hex files, but my understanding is that Tesla changed this with later revisions so the drive inverter is physically different.

There was also those service center bulletin on replacing a "P" motor that had a different break-in procedure.

Now that could have been a placebo to make people, even the techs, think the motors are different. But seems like a lot of trouble.

Car companies (and other tech companies) often ship one widget and activate it for several different trim levels/price points. Doesn't have to be a big secret or smokescreen to hide it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
Just going to throw this out there...

Jason Hughes on Twitter

2018-01-06%2014.27.04-1920.jpg

(Wasn't fully charged in this pic, obviously... about 60% actually... pic was right after completing the install)
What's in the "confidentiality" section where the release notes would be?

Reactions: Icer
What's in the "confidentiality" section where the release notes would be?

I am not a member of the early access program (and I doubt they'd invite me at this point... :p), but it says:

We have a new release for you to test.

Please remember that you have agreed to keep confidential the details of this program and not utilize the information you gain from the program in any way other than to provide us feedback.

Thanks again for participating. We look forward to your feedback!

It's a diag screen you can get when you are in developer mode (root for us non service folks). Next time you're in for service, ask them if they'll leave it up... as it doesn't go away if you display it (and then "log out" of developer mode)
Once you enable it, it shows up as another option for the right or left slot on the instrument cluster:
72514CEB-4F37-45C9-A9C1-47DF212FE1A6.jpeg

Will it stay even through screen reboots etc?

Yes, it stays. When dev mode is disabled, the option is removed from the menu, but as long as you keep it on the screen, the car remembers and will display it even after reboots. If you select a different widget, you won’t be able to get it back (without re-enabling dev mode).

Is all that data on the dev mode diagnostic screen available on the CAN bus? You certainly can’t get it from the web API. Would love to see a video of that cluster change, especially the temperature changes, over a quarter mile run.
It appears to be the same info, just more readily available. I wish both can bus monitoring softwares had some super sexy/useful ways to display the info. Maybe even some type of trip planning algorithm that could estimate range of your trip at different +/- of posted speed limit.

I wouldn't think he would very soon. Since all he is doing is taking a larger Tesla "supplied" battery and putting it in a car. He isn't actually making a larger pack. (There isn't currently a larger pack available for him to jam in a Model 3.)

If there's a Model 3 ready to be salvaged, you can be sure one certain main will savagely buy it and at least explore it in great details! :) Many secrets must be there in the firmware... Future updates? Unlocking new functions? True performances when pushed? What about this new battery pack and cell format? etc.