Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not about helping or hurting anything, it's about not wasting taxpayers' dollars by running to the nanny-state when the manufacturer is making an appropriate good-faith effort already.

Wouldn't a good faith effort include calling/mailing all customers that have the problem pro-actively and tell them : driving in range mode can lead to sudden power loss and don't do that for now to avoid placing their customers in a situation like the one testimonial about the blind turn we already had in this thread?

It's only been a few days. If this were any other company we'd be talking about months before people were notified of anything. In that time I'd bet Tesla releases multiple updates.

Personally, I'd expect to see a fix for this by the weekend.

I've done over 200 miles of driving with range mode off in the P85D since my incident with range mode on, without issue.

Bringing this back slightly more on topic.. would it be possible to put the workaround advice in the thread topic subject, eg

P85D "lost power" issue on FW.167, disable range mode to avoid

?

it would save digging through pages of chaff and highlight the wheat, as it were ;-)
When the threads got merged my title got lost. The problem I (and several others) had was a power reduced warning that did not cause any danger but obviously gave me pause for concern. I think the title should reflect the "power reduced or lost"

- - - Updated - - -

These are the lines I was thinking along a few posts back when I was suggesting to gpetti that he really make sure the service people knew what the deal was before letting his car be taken away. He knows the service manager, and I'm sure it's fine, but it could easily have been a situation like this one.
Yeah I'm still a bit concerned that this might have been unnecessary but I'll definitely take advantage of the service to look over the car and perform any appropriate mods or improvements that might be pending. Maybe they can detail it for me too. It was filthy when they picked it up. It does sound like my SC were more on the ball than Cottonwoods; however, back when I first reported it they definitely didn't seem to know anything about the .167 problem until I mentioned it.
I think communication from engineering to the SCs is definitely lacking and there is a real lack of consistent knowledge.

When the threads got merged my title got lost. The problem I (and several others) had was a power reduced warning that did not cause any danger but obviously gave me pause for concern. I think the title should reflect the "power reduced or lost"

@gpetti - I actually didn't realize the threads were merged.

However, it is certainly the same bug. I would think you could have just as likely experienced the total loss of power, which could have posed a danger. :(

If I could edit the first post (*nudges moderators*) I would add more information. (It is instances like this where I want to slap the administrator who made this call around a bit with a large trout.)

Spoke to service again today. Same bug causes both issues depending on some undisclosed variables related to torque sleep and range mode. Tesla roadside assistance has been "swamped" as a result, which isn't encouraging.

"Engineering is investigating the issue but for the time being they have not supplied an ETA on the fix. Once we get word of it, we’ll reach out and inform you."

Spoke to service again today. Same bug causes both issues depending on some undisclosed variables related to torque sleep and range mode. Tesla roadside assistance has been "swamped" as a result, which isn't encouraging.

Thinking more about this, this is actually really discouraging.

The fact that Tesla Roadside Assistance has been "swamped" means that the number of incidents we've heard about here really are a small fraction of the number of incidents taking place. We had guessed that, but now we have confirmation. Tesla could easily be minimizing the negative impact of this by emailing all D owners whose cars have received the .167 firmware, explaining the issue, and asking them not to use range mode until the issue is resolved. The downside to doing that is that there might be negative publicity, and the D owners that never knew about the issue and may never have found out about it will learn of it. But the upside is that Tesla owners would be safer and not inconvenienced as much.

Knowing now that this is a widespread issue and that Tesla has not sent an e-mail to all D owners that have the firmware is troubling.

Knowing now that this is a widespread issue and that Tesla has not sent an e-mail to all D owners that have the firmware is troubling.

Tesla drives owner communications through its service centers. It's highly likely the service center knows of the issue and hasn't gotten around to calling or notifying all the owners quite yet until a fix is ready.

Tesla drives owner communications through its service centers. It's highly likely the service center knows of the issue and hasn't gotten around to calling or notifying all the owners quite yet until a fix is ready.

Well, that's my point.

Tesla has the capability, with a few keystrokes, to notify all D owners within a few minutes. Or to at least make a first attempt to do so. They chose not to do that, even though doing so would have, in my mind, been the right thing to do. The people that don't know the problem exists don't need a fix. They just need to know not to drive in range mode for now. As long as they do that, they won't be susceptible to the problem.

The measures Tesla takes when something comes up should suit the situation. In this case I feel strongly that an e-mail blast from Tesla would have been the right thing to do, even if it would have been outside their normal operating practices.

This is a ridiculous exaggeration, but go with me for a moment. Let's say Tesla discovered that a firmware update they had just pushed was causing every car to catch on fire when driven at 65 MPH. I don't think you'd say Tesla should allow the SCs to get the word out in that case right? In a ridiculously hypothetical situation like that, even my proposed email blast would not be enough. The email blast would be the place to start, but you'd also want to go further. You'd want to start calling all Tesla owners that had the update. If it's possible, you'd probably even want to do something actively to their cars, to force them to call in before they could be drven. (I have no idea if Tesla can do that or not.)

An extreme situation like my fictional one would call for extreme measures. The current situation, though not nearly as extreme as my hypothetical one, is a pretty serious one, and can lead to pretty major inconvenience, and possibly some pretty dangerous situations. With a workaround as simple as "don't use range mode" there's just no good reason for Tesla not to be doing what they can to get the word out, even if it is outside of what they would ordinarily do.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but has there been any guidance on what to do with the error message?

I have .167 in my P85D and just got that power reduced warning as I was leaving the Tejon supercharger from LA to SF. Didn't have a problem on the trip from SF to LA earlier this week. The power seems fine, but I turned off range mode and now I'm wondering if the power reduced warning is a prelude to a total loss of power.

So if there is any guidance on what to do after you get the message, I'd appreciate a recap of it. I'm driving right now so I can't really search through threads, but I was hoping to get to Harris Ranch and then do a system reboot and keep range mode off.

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread, but has there been any guidance on what to do with the error message?

I have .167 in my P85D and just got that power reduced warning as I was leaving the Tejon supercharger from LA to SF. Didn't have a problem on the trip from SF to LA earlier this week. The power seems fine, but I turned off range mode and now I'm wondering if the power reduced warning is a prelude to a total loss of power.

So if there is any guidance on what to do after you get the message, I'd appreciate a recap of it. I'm driving right now so I can't really search through threads, but I was hoping to get to Harris Ranch and then do a system reboot and keep range mode off.

I'm really not sure of this, but I think with range mode off you should be fine now.

I also think the sooner you reboot the better.

I had this error message more than 2 weeks ago after getting .139. It cleared after simply hitting the power down button on the screen and pressing the pedal to restart. I did not have it for almost 2000 miles now, not it 1389 not in 167.

So I would not worry.

I can say that
a) I didnt notice any problems while driving with the warning
b) the message can be cleared using the procedure described by joer00 below or by shutting it off normally, getting out of the car and getting back in again.
c) restart the screens, can't hurt and probably helps
d) turn off range mode and leave it off
e) contact your local service centre and get them to check the logs to make sure nothig else is going on.

My wife got the message in her P85D a couple hours ago on a short shopping trip. I believe car was in Range Mode. The message cleared spontaneously, and she got home fine.

She reported it to our Service Advisor in Vancouver. They pulled the logs and advised Fremont. Vancouver SC was well aware of the problem.

My wife got the message in her P85D a couple hours ago on a short shopping trip. I believe car was in Range Mode. The message cleared spontaneously, and she got home fine.

She reported it to our Service Advisor in Vancouver. They pulled the logs and advised Fremont. Vancouver SC was well aware of the problem.

And they've got my car there now to experiment with :)
I was told by the rental car place that Tesla said the car may be 7 days. Not sure if that is a definite indication that there is something else wrong with my car or just the reality of shipping logistics. I'm starting to contemplate whether I should drive the car back from Vancouver when its done - turn an annoying incident into a fun road trip - maybe via Summerland too! Might have to bring a road mate with me so I can work in the car some of the time.

My post could be considered "going ballistic", I didn't mince words. I pretty much lambasted Tesla and suggested owners contact the NHTSA. I did not feel pressure from anyone here not to speak my mind. I also was not chastised for what I said. In fact, several members agreed with me. There is a lot of information here at TMC regarding issues with the car. If anything, I'd say there is more pressure by folks in the TM (Teslamotors.com) forums to scuttle bad news. I don't get that feeling here at all. And I appreciate that.

My post could be considered "going ballistic", I didn't mince words. I pretty much lambasted Tesla and suggested owners contact the NHTSA. I did not feel pressure from anyone here not to speak my mind. I also was not chastised for what I said. In fact, several members agreed with me. There is a lot of information here at TMC regarding issues with the car. If anything, I'd say there is more pressure by folks in the TM (Teslamotors.com) forums to scuttle bad news. I don't get that feeling here at all. And I appreciate that.

I definitely respect your willingness on TM to review, reflect and amend the content/tone according to feedback (hopefully feedback you also respected). I noticed that thread seems to have disappeared on TM. I'mnot sure if that is because the TM forum is so cumbersome or if it was removed.