Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Lost power on road, "Pull over safely"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's only been a few days. If this were any other company we'd be talking about months before people were notified of anything. In that time I'd bet Tesla releases multiple updates.

Personally, I'd expect to see a fix for this by the weekend.

I've done over 200 miles of driving with range mode off in the P85D since my incident with range mode on, without issue.
Through the NHTSA process it took over 400 days before a similar power loss issue in the Focus Electric was addressed with a recall (12 incident reports to the NHTSA from owners out of ~2600 vehicles made and 2020 sold).
http://insideevs.com/focus-electric...ts-to-the-stop-safely-now-power-loss-problem/

Tesla is unlikely to take anywhere near as long.

Thanks to all who replied. I got to Harris Ranch without problem or actual power loss, rebooted and the error message went away. Charged up, made sure range mode was still off (just in case) and took off without incident.

To this point it's just an annoyance, but on a fairly long trip, trying to get home in a reasonable time, it's definitely something that can contribute to the pucker factor without more knowledge on the underlying issue.

And they've got my car there now to experiment with :)
I was told by the rental car place that Tesla said the car may be 7 days. Not sure if that is a definite indication that there is something else wrong with my car or just the reality of shipping logistics. I'm starting to contemplate whether I should drive the car back from Vancouver when its done - turn an annoying incident into a fun road trip - maybe via Summerland too! Might have to bring a road mate with me so I can work in the car some of the time.

Greg, I would do the trip back from Vancouver back to Calgary ... In case you need a co pilot. Just saying.

Thanks to all who replied. I got to Harris Ranch without problem or actual power loss, rebooted and the error message went away. Charged up, made sure range mode was still off (just in case) and took off without incident.

To this point it's just an annoyance, but on a fairly long trip, trying to get home in a reasonable time, it's definitely something that can contribute to the pucker factor without more knowledge on the underlying issue.

That was exactly my feeling yesterday, and believe me, the San Luis Valley and Wolf Creek Pass are way more remote than the Central Valley and Tehachapi Pass increasing the pucker factor for me...

I've been leaving Range mode on and was rewarded with the "Service Required: Power Reduced" warning while driving on city streets today. Called it in to Tesla, rebooted everything and turned Range mode off; the warning disappeared. My service center wanted to bring the car in, but I declined. They said, basically: Leave Range mode off and you should be fine until the update is rolled out. No ETA on new firmware, of course.

Nah. It's just how long that valet needs to borrow it for this time. :)

Hilarious! Guess you owe me that. :)

I'm watching the car like a hawk now I have the app connected.

- - - Updated - - -

Greg, I would do the trip back from Vancouver back to Calgary ... In case you need a co pilot. Just saying.

Actually, I was considering looking for co-pilot volunteers, don't think my wife will do it though I was also tempted to ask my brother in Vancouver to do it and then fly back. Its still just a vague idea but if I do, I'll probably go via Summerland and stay there for a day or so - I have an HPWC there which has yet to be used and I can work there too.

So if this is very clearly a software bug and it is very clearly tied to range mode why doesn't Tesla disable range mode effective immediately on all D models? And don't anyone say that they don't have that capability. They do.
That is one of many options. What boggles my mind is that as far as we can tell they haven't done a thing. They are not pro-actively reaching out to owners, they are not pushing an update, not pushing an older version, not disabling range mode.
So any owner who isn't obsessively reading TMC nine times a day (and I hear there are people who don't) may randomly and at unfortunate times run into this problem.
Seriously, this boggles my mind.

So if this is very clearly a software bug and it is very clearly tied to range mode why doesn't Tesla disable range mode effective immediately on all D models? And don't anyone say that they don't have that capability. They do.

In my experience Tesla tries to fix things without customers realizing there is a problem. When my 85D was delayed for "testing" they told me on Friday they needed more time to complete that testing but would have it ready for Monday. I'd been pushing for clear answers, I flat out asked if any drive units had been removed, and they evaded answering. Come Monday they realized they didn't have a part to complete the rear drive unit replacement and they finally came clean. They admitted they'd been replacing the drive unit on Friday. I probably would have never known about the drive unit if they hadn't gotten stuck on replacing the o-ring they didn't have.

So to answer your question. Because they don't want to draw attention to the problem. Disabling range mode would draw attention to it.

The software engineer in me says it might also just be because they think pushing the release to do this would take as much time as the fix. But the customer of Tesla (based on my experience with them) in me tells me it's probably not just that.

Yes that's a somewhat jaded view point.

That is one of many options. What boggles my mind is that as far as we can tell they haven't done a thing. They are not pro-actively reaching out to owners, they are not pushing an update, not pushing an older version, not disabling range mode.
So any owner who isn't obsessively reading TMC nine times a day (and I hear there are people who don't) may randomly and at unfortunate times run into this problem.
Seriously, this boggles my mind.

This post is spot on. I've been off these boards for a couple weeks (havent seen these messages), and while driving to work this morning I got the same "reduced power needs service" message as everybody. It's somewhat ridiculous that my immediate response is "I bet this is an issue with .167 that is being talked about on TMC but not communicated from Tesla". I pull over, log onto TMC and read the threads, and lo and behold I find this thread. What a joke. Thank you all for posting your experiences though, very helpful.

I'm baffled that Tesla is just letting people figure this out on their own on the side of the road. Seriously, just shoot me a 3 second email "turn range mode off". Done. I can wait for the update.

My question to this community and affected P85D owners: Why have none of you tweeted your complaintto Elon Musk about not being notified by Tesla over this issue?

Has anyone bothered to send an email to Jerome to ask him, point blank, why Tesla is not notifying P85D owners of this problem via phone or email?

It seems like we are all too willing to complain and fret in the forums, yet nobody is willing to take it up the chain to make the man at the top accountable.

For what it's worth, I dropped an e-mail to Jerome. I outlined my feelings and asked him to consider having his team reach out to owners who are affected with a case like this.

My question to this community and affected P85D owners: Why have none of you tweeted your complaintto Elon Musk about not being notified by Tesla over this issue?

Has anyone bothered to send an email to Jerome to ask him, point blank, why Tesla is not notifying P85D owners of this problem via phone or email?

It seems like we are all too willing to complain and fret in the forums, yet nobody is willing to take it up the chain to make the man at the top accountable.

Because as far as things go for me I don't see what any additional complaining is going to do. I've complained to Tesla, they've told me of the cause (bug in firmware), told me of the workaround (turn off range mode), and have told me a fix is in the works. Not much more I can ask for at this moment. Tweeting Elon or emailing Jerome isn't going to change my situation or anyone else's. If they've decided not to notify other owners (and we don't know if they are or aren't given the notably small percentage of D owners that are actually on TMC), we don't know. We don't know if they've done anything about it at all yet since I haven't seen any additional reports of the issue here. The bug may not affect all D vehicles, as evident by posts from folks still using range mode in their P85Ds without issue. We don't know what they're doing.

Personally, I have enough information from them to be fine for the moment. I'll probably touch base with them again soon if I don't see a resolution since I have a trip coming up soon where range mode will be needed, and go from there. If there is no fix by the time I'm taking my trip, however... that's another story and there will likely be some hell raised.

If they've decided not to notify other owners (and we don't know if they are or aren't given the notably small percentage of D owners that are actually on TMC), we don't know. We don't know if they've done anything about it at all yet since I haven't seen any additional reports of the issue here.

Yours was post #154 in this thread. Did you miss post #151?

This post is spot on. I've been off these boards for a couple weeks (havent seen these messages), and while driving to work this morning I got the same "reduced power needs service" message as everybody. It's somewhat ridiculous that my immediate response is "I bet this is an issue with .167 that is being talked about on TMC but not communicated from Tesla". I pull over, log onto TMC and read the threads, and lo and behold I find this thread. What a joke. Thank you all for posting your experiences though, very helpful.

I'm baffled that Tesla is just letting people figure this out on their own on the side of the road. Seriously, just shoot me a 3 second email "turn range mode off". Done. I can wait for the update.

Rice390 has been a pretty active forum participant, but because he hadn't been active in the forum in the past week, he got bitten by the .167 bug. Luckily because he was knowledgeable enough about these kinds of things because of the forums, he had an idea what the issue could be, and knew where to go look for the answers. So he wasn't as inconvenienced as he otherwise might have been.But he is just one of several regular forum users who has been affected by the issue in the past couple of days.

Last edited:
Because as far as things go for me I don't see what any additional complaining is going to do. I've complained to Tesla, they've told me of the cause (bug in firmware), told me of the workaround (turn off range mode), and have told me a fix is in the works. Not much more I can ask for at this moment. Tweeting Elon or emailing Jerome isn't going to change my situation or anyone else's. If they've decided not to notify other owners (and we don't know if they are or aren't given the notably small percentage of D owners that are actually on TMC), we don't know. We don't know if they've done anything about it at all yet since I haven't seen any additional reports of the issue here. The bug may not affect all D vehicles, as evident by posts from folks still using range mode in their P85Ds without issue. We don't know what they're doing.
I have not seen any posts from D owners that have NOT had the issue but HAVE been contacted by Tesla. I think the only people who had communication with Tesla about the problem are the ones who had it happen and who have contacted Tesla. So while you are right that we are certainly missing lots of data, I think there are enough people here that we would have heard about it if they were reaching out to owners...

I never said there was contact happening, I just said we don't really know for sure. Most of the people on the forums who have reported the issue had already contacted Tesla about it. No need for proactive contact in those cases. For Rice390, we don't know for sure either. Maybe they tried to call him but couldn't reach him? Email got flagged as spam or wasn't deliverable? Who knows. We don't.

I'm sure contacting owners about something like this isn't something that can be taken lightly on Tesla's end, either.

I'm not defending Tesla on this, not in the slightest. (If you've read any of my posts about torque sleep and auto pilot you'd know I'm not some blinded fanboy.) Just saying it is a bad to jump to conclusions based on tiny sheds of info.

Just saying it is a bad to jump to conclusions based on tiny sheds of info.
You are right. Maybe I'm overestimating the sample size here. It seems that there are a few dozen P85D owners who post somewhat frequently. So I assumed that if they had proactively contacted owners we would have heard about it. But yes, I should phrase this more carefully.
And no, I've read many of your 1500 posts around P85D delivery, range, testing right before the Jerome post, etc, etc. I am in no way implying that you are a fan boy. I accused Bet TSLA of that and have since apologized to him as well. I'm sometimes easily excitable and get carried away. On the flip side, in 27 years of owning BMWs I have not once visited a BMW forum... so I am excited about Tesla - and in my circle of friends I am by now known as an incredible Tesla fanboy and terrible bore who loves talking about his car whenever there's the slightest excuse to do so. Guilty as charged :tongue:

For me, it's just not that big of a deal. It'll get fixed in do time, they're already aware of it so complaining about it won't speed up the process.