Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if he got his P85D anytime in December of 2014, you're damn right he's one of the first owners!

the first P85D ever delivered was like the 17th of that December. Mine was delivered 12/28/14. does that mean I'm not an early owner?

MarcG was the first forum member to take delivery of a P85D. He took delivery on Friday, December 12.

The poster I responded to had written "One of the first users..."

I took delivery on December 24, and I do not consider myself one of the first people here to take delivery of a P85D, as there were dozens, if not over a hundred forum members that took delivery between the time MarcG did and when I did.

If you took delivery December 28 you can consider yourself whatever you like. I personally would not refer to you as "One of the first users of the P85D." Early--yes. But not "One of the first." At least not to me.

Edit: There were 50 P85D deliveries listed in the tracker before December 24 (my delivery date) and 79 listed in the tracker before December 28 (your delivery date.) Those numbers only include forum members who chose to include their information in the tracker. There were obviously more cars delivered to forum members than that.

Last edited:
MarcG was the first forum member to take delivery of a P85D. He took delivery on Friday, December 12.

The poster I responded to had written "One of the first users..."

I took delivery on December 24, and I do not consider myself one of the first people here to take delivery of a P85D, as there were dozens, if not over a hundred forum members that took delivery between the time MarcG did and when I did.

If you took delivery December 28 you can consider yourself whatever you like. I personally would not refer to you as "One of the first users of the P85D."

wow... two weeks is too old for you... interesting.

i hate to tell you, but every car delivered in December of 2014 came right off the same batch-lot at the factory. Whether you got yours on the 12th or 31st was simply a transport-logistics issue. They are the same damn cars.

wow... two weeks is too old for you... interesting.

What does "too old" mean? All I said was that our cars, and the car Osama had an issue with were not "one of the first." I agree we had early builds. I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

i hate to tell you, but every car delivered in December of 2014 came right off the same batch-lot at the factory. Whether you got yours on the 12th or 31st was simply a transport-logistics issue. They are the same damn cars.

That I can say with 100% certainty is flat out wrong. I'd suggest you do a little research before making statements like that. Perhaps you should ask some of the people who missed out on the heated steering wheel about whether or not their cars are the same as mine. I was lucky enough to get one. I say lucky enough because had my car started production at the end of the previous week, I would not have received the heated steering wheel. If I lived in a warmer climate, even though I had chosen the cold weather package, I would not have received the heated steering wheel.

Tesla had literally not started building my car at the point that MarcG was driving around in his.

Edit: I just checked Andrewket's production spreadsheet again, and the above statement is not quite true. Tesla started building my car the day before MarcG took delivery.

Last edited:
May I suggest that defining the requirements between early, early bird, first, etc are not on topic, and perhaps we could move on? :)

How about that L upgrade, eh? That's wicked fast. It's going to be fun.

Andy,

I know you have several issues surrounding Tesla's handling of the PD; some I agree with and some I do not. Here is how I see the PDL upgrade.

Tesla announced the PD saying it would do 3.3 0-60 (which, like all other US manufacturers includes the roll out thing which makes Tesla's representations consistent with other manufacturers in the US) and something like an 11.7 second 1/4 mile. Combined with that, Tesla was really excited about showing everyone how the car could drive itself without any nags or otherwise requiring the driver to rest their hands on the wheel.

In January, Tesla delivered my 2015 ViN PD as I requested complete with sport suspension and next gen seats. The suspension part was most important for me given the lengths I went to to "get happy" with my P+. The PD was subsequently tested by the animals at Drag Times (thanks Fiks) and found to perform as advertised.

At some point, Elon mentioned a free over the air upgrade that would give owners performance not seen outside the factory. I was hopeful it was the 2.8 second 0-60 I had heard about over a year earlier when rumors of an AWD MS first started to filter out of California. The performance upgrade seemed to be delayed and was ultimately realized by the upgrade. I've already posted my best guess about how that process unfolded.

As I see it, Tesla promised me X when I plunked down my cash. Tesla delivered X but their rather hopeful delivery time line on AP has stretched. That is not ideal but then the task is hard, I knew it was not done when I ordered the car and Tesla did not say exactly when but only that they were working on it and it should be a few months. Being an engineer, I know what a few engineering months can look like in the real world and I also know what it is like to optimistically shoot for something like a free over the air performance upgrade only to find out that reality requires a field hardware upgrade. The key is Tesla did not sell me the car based on Ludicrous; it was a freebee that turned out not to be a freebee as the result of factors outside Tesla's control (the contactor simply did not stand up to the task). Do I wish it were free; sure. Do I hold Tesla responsible for giving me something I did not pay for just because they thought they could; no.

I see Tesla as a bunch of highly motivated nerds pulling off unheard off feats. Not catering to marketing or legal means you are going to get over optimistic and aggressive assertions about what they hope and want to deliver. You know they are busting their butts to do as they say but this stuff is hard. I would rather have them keep humping it and sharing their hopes and dreams with me then to wrap them on the beak with a ruler when they miss a hope or a dream. You do that enough and they will stop sharing.

Last edited:
I see Tesla as a bunch of highly motivated nerds pulling off unheard off feats. Not catering to marketing or legal means you are going to get over optimistic and aggressive assertions about what they hope and want to deliver. You know they are busting their butts to do as they say but this stuff is hard. I would rather have them keep humping it and sharing their hopes and dreams with me then to wrap them on the beak with a ruler when they miss a hope or a dream. You do that enough and they will stop sharing.

Thanks, as usual, lolachamp for injecting some engineering-think into the conversation. I wish there was a "Like" button for your common sense posts! :-D

Hi all,

I care less about 0-60 times below 3.1, rather I have some hopes of better at 50-80 (mph) acceleration. Anyone want to hazard a guess if this upgrade will help that please?

thanks, Mike

This is what I'm hoping for too. The car is already very fast off the line. The passing power just isn't consistent with the rest of the performance. I understand why it's that way, I just don't like it. I hope this improves that.

At some point, Elon mentioned a free over the air upgrade that would give owners performance not seen outside the factory.

The thing is, he didn't just mention it. The high speed performance update wound up as a promised feature coming soon on the order page.

You didn't respond to one key question in my original post. I had asked you:

...what would you tell those customers who bought while that promise that never materialized was on the website? They purchased with the promise of a free high-speed performance increase coming, and then are being asked to pay $7500 for it. Does this seem right to you?

Where do you stand on that question?

I also want the Tesla highly motivated nerds to keep pulling off unheard of feats. I want them to remain optimistic and aggressive, and I want to hear about what they hope to and want to deliver. Like you, I want them to bust their butts, and I fully recognize that this stuff is hard. The big difference, though, is I don't want them to tell me, or other potential customers that these hopes and dreams are reality --UNTIL-- they are 100% certain that they will be a reality. Before then, just tell us they are things that are being worked on--possibilities--hopes and dreams. When you cross the line and tell potential customers that a feature --IS COMING-- and then don't deliver it, you're not just disappointing customers. In my mind you have done something much, MUCH worse, and very possibly even against the law.

I would rather see Tesla rapped on the beak with a ruler, than to see their beaks broken off later because this kind of practice has been allowed to continue unchecked.

Are you going to order the upgrade?

I haven't decided yet.

I'm waiting to see what people who have it installed on the P85D actually think of it.

I'm also waiting to find out where I'd have to go to have it done, and what would be involved. I'm over 200 miles from any service center, and I obviously don't yet know if that service center is performing the updates or not. There's another service center a little further from me, but near where my mother lives, and if that one is doing the upgrades it might make more sense for me to get it done there, depending on how long they would need the car, whether or not a loaner could be provided, etc., etc.

And to be honest, I'm also still hoping Tesla sees the light, and decides that the right thing to do is to provide them at no cost to the owners affected by the 691 HP issue or the performance upgrade that never materialized issue, (not the same group) though that is looking less and less likely.

Thanks for posting the link, Yesterday was Upgrade day for me. I upgraded to a new Iphone 6S Plus and then sat in front of the store and used it to order the Ludicrous upgrade. I LIKE upgrades. Iphone upgrade was way cheaper......

The thing is, he didn't just mention it. The high speed performance update wound up as a promised feature coming soon on the order page.

You didn't respond to one key question in my original post. I had asked you:

Where do you stand on that question?

I also want the Tesla highly motivated nerds to keep pulling off unheard of feats. I want them to remain optimistic and aggressive, and I want to hear about what they hope to and want to deliver. Like you, I want them to bust their butts, and I fully recognize that this stuff is hard. The big difference, though, is I don't want them to tell me, or other potential customers that these hopes and dreams are reality --UNTIL-- they are 100% certain that they will be a reality. Before then, just tell us they are things that are being worked on--possibilities--hopes and dreams. When you cross the line and tell potential customers that a feature --IS COMING-- and then don't deliver it, you're not just disappointing customers. In my mind you have done something much, MUCH worse, and very possibly even against the law.

I would rather see Tesla rapped on the beak with a ruler, than to see their beaks broken off later because this kind of practice has been allowed to continue unchecked.
Didn't the software update Tesla released with the 3.1 second update also slightly speed up higher speeds (0.08 seconds)? Yes it's nothing but it's still an improvement. Tesla said nothing about how big an improvement. Obviously they were going for something a lot more but that ended up needing hardware.