Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Ludicrous Pre-Order Upgrade Available 9/25/15

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like P90DL hits 480kW/643hp in this video by Dragtimes, while making 0 to 100 in 7.7 seconds.

Dragtimes P90D Ludicrous 0-60mph and 0-100mph video

I hope your right but I wouldn't read too much into what you see with the gauge. The tick is between the 4 and the 8 but the video shows it over the 8.

This is 389KW (logged through REST and photographed) showing it covering the left side of the 0:

20150421_093302.jpg

I was a passenger in Pete's P90DL for a good 25 minutes and his meter showed the same thing as this video yet the most he logged was 456KW. I'll pm him to confirm or not as he's spent a lot more than 25 minutes in front of the guage :)

The scale is just too compressed with each pixel being a good 10KW.

That calculator will show even more power needed if you input the correct weight 4936 + (drive) so about 5136 for a 200 lbs driver :)

Just be careful because the calculator assumes average ICE power curves which gives the P85D a tremendous advantage from a dead stop. The 0-100 times are highly front loaded by the 0-60 times (especially the 0-30 time) because its ultra wide power curve resulting in lots low end torque. For some reason the calculator shows a pretty big difference between manual and automatic(manual requiring less power) but I was pretty sure that modern day automatics no longer have the drivetrain efficiency disadvantage over manuals like they used to. This calculator will also assume typical drive train loss from ICE AWD systems which include torque converters, flywheels, multispeed transmissions, and transfer cases.

I'm kind of hoping there's something wrong with Pete's car :) but not really because I wouldn't wish that upon him....unless it's something Tesla can fix of course.

I hope your right but I wouldn't read too much into what you see with the gauge. The tick is between the 4 and the 8 but the video shows it over the 8.

This is 389KW (logged through REST and photographed) showing it covering the left side of the 0:

View attachment 95753

I was a passenger in Pete's P90DL for a good 25 minutes and his meter showed the same thing as this video yet the most he logged was 456KW. I'll pm him to confirm or not as he's spent a lot more than 25 minutes in front of the guage :)

The scale is just too compressed with each pixel being a good 10KW.

I haven't checked numbers again, but yeah 457 was the best I got and it is going to look very close to 480 given the scale. I hit 2.810 with 1ft so I don't think there's anything wrong with my car...

So, after reading this thread and the other p90 thread, I just put the deposit in for the upgrade. We'll see. The SC still appears to be blissfully ignorant of this (or, as likely, just isn't saying), though I'm there on Tuesday for the LTE upgrade and I'll chat.

@GG / @Pete90D, I haven't see a report out on the perf numbers hinted at - if it's already out, my apologies and I'd love the link. If not, got an ETA

I too have been hesitant to post anything re this whole "HP-gate", though was inspired by "LolaChamp" :)

I, too, have felt disappointed at the communications and expectation-setting. Some of this comes from my own ignorance of differing perf characteristics between EV and ICE cars, though some of it would definitely be better if the Tesla outbound comms manta became "under-promise, and over-deliver". It is easy for keen, supportive, customers to become embroiled in the unencumbered exuberance of the TM reality distortion zone. As Tesla becomes a mainstream car company, it is going to be critical for both TM and *us* all to understand that in our communications, otherwise we can be perceived as niche (at best) or pompous (at worst).

Rather than any open letter, for fear of it being perceived as public shaming or nefarious intent, I sent direct mail to JB et al asking for additional clarity and stating my disappointment in some areas of how this is being handled; though have no expectation of direct response. Rather, my hope is that someone who had the zeal to help start this company will listen and embrace the feedback as the gift intended.

I still love my car and though I wish it would have more mid-range acceleration (similar to GT-R), that it would corner like an MP4-12C, and could be used on track days.. I accept it doesn't and the fact it's all electric and is a practical daily driver overcomes all; bar the mid-range acceleration - hence why I'm trying to ensure my own expectations are bounded by reality - something we have copious amounts of here and for which I am grateful :)

Cheers, Mike

7.7 to 100
2.81 to 60 (w rollout.... warning, I'm only going to put that in my posts for a few more times then will revert to assuming everyone knows the roll out is included)

Holly Cow that is one very fast car and it confirms my butt dyno results from the test drive :) All we have to do now is confirm that the upgrade performs equally well.

Anxiously awaiting the call from my SC.

7.7 to 100
2.81 to 60 (w rollout.... warning, I'm only going to put that in my posts for a few more times then will revert to assuming everyone knows the roll out is included)

Holly Cow that is one very fast car and it confirms my butt dyno results from the test drive :) All we have to do now is confirm that the upgrade performs equally well.

This is the whole thing in a nutshell.

The car is outrageously fast and all we need to see is what the upgrade is able to do to close the gap b/w what we know the P90DL can do and what the P85D does currently. My guess is that it will close most of the gap.

I really want to see numbers on 30-50/50-70/70-90 before and after the upgrade. That's what I care about.

<snip>
The 0-100 times are highly front loaded by the 0-60 times (especially the 0-30 time) because its ultra wide power curve resulting in lots low end torque.
<snip>
AfterI played with the calculator, I assumed it was not accurate for an electric car. Hence my emoticons.
I fully understand your point above. 61-100 in ~4.6 (7.7-3.1) seems quite reasonable.
One-thousands-1, one-thousands-2, one-thousands-3, , one-thousands-4 ... done.

7.7 to 100

Thanks. Any idea on 30 - 50 and 50 - 70 times? I feel the need for 0-100 time less than 50-70, and I'd hate to just do linear math between these numbers - eg logic says 7.7-2.81 would be 61-100 time, though that's a curve and I don't want to assume... ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I really want to see numbers on 30-50/50-70/70-90 before and after the upgrade. That's what I care about.
+1. Also, is they a singular post / article outlining the tools / methodology for this anywhere please?

7.7 to 100

To help temper expectations a bit, I bet an upgraded P85D will match that 0-60 time from the P90D, but might be a couple tenths off the 0-100 time without those extra 5kWh in the battery. Look forward to testing on my hopefully soon to be upgraded P85D.

To help temper expectations a bit, I bet an upgraded P85D will match that 0-60 time from the P90D, but might be a couple tenths off the 0-100 time without those extra 5kWh in the battery. Look forward to testing on my hopefully soon to be upgraded P85D.

Anyone else wonder what performance larger batteries might unlock in the future, given an L upgraded P85D? I think if Tesla came out with a 110 or 120kw battery 3 years down the road, I might be convinced to upgrade. Could it also potentially unlock further high speed performance improvements or would the fuse present a hard limit to any further perf?

I received the e-mail today finally, so I have 'officially' put my $500 down.

I am sure they are using the pre-order to determine exact demand by location so they only have to train a small portion of their service center mechanics/technicians on the actual upgrade process. My non-scientific guess would be that demand will be based on where they sold the cars, but hopefully enough South Florida P85D owners are signing up for Dania Beach so we don't have to go anywhere else.

Just got an e-mail offering ludicrous upgrade. Of course I placed the order on 9/25 so now I need to verify that they actually received/processed my order. But good news is that they are making headway.
FWIW, I was at the Freemont service station this morning for an unrelated appointment. I asked everyone with a pulse about the timing of ludicrous. The only new information I got was that they have started receiving *some* of the parts and tools necessary for the upgrade but they are still waiting for the balance. They will start scheduling appointments once service has all the necessary parts and tools, which "should" be in October. Query as to whether that's in Tesla time or regular time. I'll try to learn more when I pick up later this week.

Fun fact - I just learned the hard way that Tesla employees sign an agreement not to accept gifts from customers. So I'm going with Plan B - shameless flirting.

Just got an e-mail offering ludicrous upgrade. Of course I placed the order on 9/25 so now I need to verify that they actually received/processed my order. But good news is that they are making headway.

Yeah, me too, and after an email they quickly confirmed they had my deposit from the 25th and all I needed to do was wait. I've gotten good at that ...

Is it time for another tracking thread for these?

FWIW, most I've logged is 455kW as well, but I haven't used the "MAX BATTERY OOOOO" setting or been too particular in trying to get a great log.

I think Pete mentioned already that there was no difference in peak KW even when the battery max mode said "ready". I'll let him confirm.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, me too, and after an email they quickly confirmed they had my deposit from the 25th and all I needed to do was wait. I've gotten good at that ...

Is it time for another tracking thread for these?

I placed it twice. I got the email this morning and went to check and see if my credit card had been charged but it hadn't so I assume the order got dropped some how. So I placed it again. Then I got a confirmation email and realized that I had last week too. So emailed them and they emailed me back to tell me my second order would be canceled.

- - - Updated - - -

7.7 to 100

Same here, at least up to 30 MPH. I've never been in a car as fast from a start as the P85D. I've driven plenty and owned several that were faster from 50+ MPH. The P85D makes so much torque (i.e. the power that it does make is made at very early RPMS) that it's like a rail gun in the lower speeds. If you were stop and go driving darting in and out of lanes at speeds below 50 MPH, I'm pretty sure there aren't too many sedans let alone sports cars that would have the response and acceleration at the lower expressway speeds.