Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D won't be available for test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the early cars probably did not have all the production-version features of the P85D, and as such Tesla was restricting their use. Once new P85Ds are available I suspect Tesla will allow test drives, just the same way they allowed tests with the P85D. It is VERY annoying to have a test ride rather than a test drive. I am also sure that test vehicles can have the "insane" acceleration locked by software, as well as max speed.

Just confirmed a test DRIVE for the P85D at the Devon, PA service center. I specifically asked if it was a ride only and they said no, I could drive it! I did say that if I didn't feel comfortable taking it to the max, if I could have them drive it for me and they said yes to that as well. So P85D is officially cleared for test drives now :biggrin: Get out your checkbooks!

+1

My test Drive is at 4pm today! Can't wait.

Apparently not the next gen seats tho.

Will report back

I think that makes sense from a liability standpoint. I don't think a lot of people realize how quickly you can get into trouble with a car that launches like a P85d. The average person walking into a showroom won't know how to handle nearly 700hp.
Just like you can't jump into a complex airplane until you are type rated, we need something like this for these types of cars. New drivers shouldn't be allowed to jump right into a super highpowered or heavy car. We see examples of this problem fairly often with teenage drivers killing a car load in their WRX's, or mangling another family when they crush them with their Suburban.

P85D at Westlake Seattle Store

Just got the first drive in the P85D at the Westlake Seattle store. Rainy and snow, but lots of traction. New seats are in place in the blue beauty. It's pretty fast.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    706.1 KB · Views: 389
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    998.6 KB · Views: 361
(hope someone can fix my pictures for me)
Nice, this is the exact same interior that I'll (eventually) get. Did you get to check out the rear next-gen seats and whether they fold flat?

No, just a quick ride up the 5 freeway and back. I really want the Model X, so I wasn't going over all the details like seats and range. Hopefully someone with one on order will fill us all in.

But it is an exciting machine.

@jpet oh yes, they are a big reason I got of the fence and finally ordered a car. Didn't get less exited when the "recaro"-name surfaced on the window-stickers:biggrin: Tesla T is actually suprising to me that they havent added to be honest.

I went on a test drive today in San Diego. The rep drove for the first lap and then we were allowed to drive. They do not have the next generation seats yet unfortunately. The second motor sure does make a lot of noise compared to the old RWD models.