Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D won't be available for test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bar at Serious Pie, just a little past the Republic. Had to get my mushroom and truffled cheese pizza with a pint of seasonal "Nice and Naughty" cider (10.5% alcohol, so you get upside down pictures, of course). Sounds like you know the area.

I love Serious Pie. Excellent choice.

Glad they got a test drive car there. Have to be one of the first.

I went on a test drive today in San Diego. The rep drove for the first lap and then we were allowed to drive. They do not have the next generation seats yet unfortunately. The second motor sure does make a lot of noise compared to the old RWD models.

When you say the second motor makes a lot of noise, do you mean just under heavy acceleration, or all the time? Are you suggesting that the cabin of a P85D, when, say, cruising on the highway is actually not going to be nearly as quiet as the cabin of a RWD model S?

When you say the second motor makes a lot of noise, do you mean just under heavy acceleration, or all the time? Are you suggesting that the cabin of a P85D, when, say, cruising on the highway is actually not going to be nearly as quiet as the cabin of a RWD model S?
We started off with the radio off, and it was definitely noticeable under any acceleration condition. It's an electric whirring sound as you would expect an electric motor to sound if you hadn't previously experienced the virtual silence of the RWD Model S. Once you are cruising or if you have the radio on, you can't hear it nearly as much. I don't think it ruins the experience, but it's certainly different than what I'm used to hearing in Teslas.

We started off with the radio off, and it was definitely noticeable under any acceleration condition. It's an electric whirring sound as you would expect an electric motor to sound if you hadn't previously experienced the virtual silence of the RWD Model S. Once you are cruising or if you have the radio on, you can't hear it nearly as much. I don't think it ruins the experience, but it's certainly different than what I'm used to hearing in Teslas.

Thanks for the detailed answer. Not really the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate your taking the time. Thanks!

Great find Thud.
I expected the gap with cars in front to narrow way faster but it could have just be the way it was filmed.

The perspective is a bit compressed when filmed with a typical cell phone. A wider angle lens would have made the speed more apparent. I think the "unnnnggh!" on every acceleration is a better indicator. :biggrin: