Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PA Turnpike Superchargers coming (a theory)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla updated their notoriously aspirational "Find Us" map for 2021.

There are now "coming soon" locations for Allentown 2, Denver, Elverson, Hunker, Jim Thorpe, and Somerset 2, all of which appear to be curiously close to Turnpike rest stops.

While the coming soon locations tend not to be specific for cities, all 6 of these are suspiciously close to rest stops specifically.

The PA Turnpike Commission must have seen the light, or Tesla paid to their satisfaction.

Here's the new map
Find Us | Tesla

Allentown 2 is located right beside the Allentown service plaza (bidirectional service)

Somerset 2 is between the East and North service plazas. (Hopefully SuC at each for bidirectional service but who knows)

Elverson is located just east of the Peter J Camiel service plaza (westbound service only)

Denver is located just east of the Bowmansville service plaza (eastbound service only)

Jim Thorpe is located right beside the Hickory Run service plaza. (Bidirectional service)

Hunker is located just east of the New Stanton service plaza. (westbound service only)

Me thinks the PTC signed a contract.

Last edited:
Further proof: the pin locations on the map do not always match the city names assigned by Tesla - example: the Elverson pin is nowhere near Elverson. However, the Peter J. Camiel service plaza has an Elverson mailing address.

The Denver pin isn't in Denver, but the Bowmansville service plaza has a Denver address.

The Jim Thorpe pin isn't in Jim Thorpe, but the Hickory Run service plaza has a Jim Thorpe address.

The Hunker pin isn't in Hunker...blah blah blah...the New Stanton service plaza has a Hunker address.

The Verona pin isn't in Verona...Oakmont Plum service plaza has a Hunker address.

Somerset and Allentown match.

I'm officially obsessed.

Of 17 Turnpike service plazas, 5 currently have (unreliable) Level 2 and/or CHADEMO: Oakmont Plum, New Stanton, Bowmanville, Peter J. Camiel, and King of Prussia. 4 of 7 potential supercharger sites have existing EV infrastructure.

This assumes Tesla's King of Prussia pin doesn't represent a supercharger to be built at the King of Prussia service plaza.

@Craig_in_PA sure presents a compelling case. The fact that the pins on the Find Us map are all placed right at the service plazas is certainly interesting (and unusual for Tesla).

I don't have a strong opinion on whether it should be added to supercharge.info at this point. However, considering it's been almost 3 years since that meeting and nothing else has come out since, I'm hesitant to believe that it's even close to a permit phase. The only signal is Tesla's weak "Q2 2021" estimate.

I think once a permit is found (or construction discovered) for any one of those service plazas then it'd be safe to assume that both Tesla and PTC are ready to begin work on all of them.

Reactions: kayak1
I'm not sure how Tesla plans to handle the bidirectional service plazas. If you exit the TP going one direction, you cannot get back on in the opposite direction. The plazas are segregated based on direction of travel when exiting. I assume this has to do with tolls.

Does Tesla split the supercharger to put half in each area? I think that is easier said than done.

About a year late for my needs. But glad these are going in.

Probably safe to assume that the Denver PA location is the service center on the east bound side:

Bowmansville Service Plaza
Pennsylvania Turnpike, Denver, PA 17517

Google Maps

I'll be on the turnpike Tuesday, so I'll see if there is anything at both.

But what about the Wendy's location?! Won't somebody think of the Wendys?! My buddy and I stopped here with his gas pickup about a year before I got my first Tesla just to check it out. He was picking up a motorcycle near there. I took several trips out that way - it was like the ONLY charger around Harrisburg for a long time.

Last edited:
I was through Somerset this weekend. Eastbound plaza had a fenced off construction area, but no signs of what was happening though that one says opening Q2 so seems likely getting started. Unfortunately I wasn't even thinking about it when I stopped there so I didn't get a picture or look more closely.

I was through Somerset this weekend. Eastbound plaza had a fenced off construction area, but no signs of what was happening though that one says opening Q2 so seems likely getting started. Unfortunately I wasn't even thinking about it when I stopped there so I didn't get a picture or look more closely.
Sorry, meant to say westbound. There was nothing at the eastbound plaza.