Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific NW - Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just have to wonder why they chose Ritzville. I don't understand that one.

I assume its because its (A) part way between Ellensburg and Spokane/Couer d'Alene and (B) along the 395 which links I84 and I90 if you were going from Oregon to Spokane/Couer d'Alene.

You could assert that the Seattle to Pullman route is vastly more important than the I84 to Spokane route and I would have no data to argue with you.

I really wish that there was out on the peninsula, allowing one to traverse the scenic loop of 101. another one east of the mountains on rt 2 would be very nice as well! we all need to make requests more, looking at how many S CA is getting, sheesh!

Don't forget that we put in a Clipper Creek charger on the Port Angeles waterfront.

There isn't much else for charging on the 101 except camp sites. They fill up quickly and are usually reserved for the summer far in advance. It is well over 200 miles from PA to Aberdeen leaving no room for sightseeing in the park. There is a high chance of strong winds and heavy rain in the area. There isn't much of anything for charging in the Aberdeen area either.

Maybe someone could see if Kalaloch would be interested in a HPWC. Power could be an issue. Some of those areas didn't get electricity until the 1970's.
I can't imagine much interest in Forks.

I made my first "long" trip (more than one SC on the same day) from Lakewood, WA to Roseburg, OR - approximately 325 miles each way - down Friday and back Saturday. I sucked amps at Centralia, Woodburn & Springfield both ways. All went very well except SC 4A in Springfield was not functioning so called Tesla support to notify them and they said that was the correct place to report the issue and they would notify the SC group to have it fixed. Springfield 3A functioned fine. Two of the six SC stops had one other "S" - otherwise I was alone. Terrible rainstorm from Woodburn all the way home. The "S" is really waterproof.

Has anyone been up there recently to have a look?? Supposed to open in a few weeks...
In Squamish now for my nephew's graduation from Quest University. Rode my bike by the proposed SpC site here and didn't see any progress. From the hwy I saw a "Proposed Land Use" sign that I should have time to check out tomorrow hopefully.

The link to the permit still shows it as being in the review process.

Cheers!

L & I permit #2365621E for 105 Galbreath Way in Ritzville for 2000 amp Tesla superchargers. 509 Electric from Ephrata is the contractor.
Ritzville.png

Woohoo for Ritzville. But it will be to late for my next MT trip. After that I will be getting many electrons there.

Looks like construction has already started. The permit indicates that an inspection has been done and they can cover the conduit to the chargers.

Last edited:
PatT; said:
Wonderful find!

L & I permit #2365621E for 105 Galbreath Way in Ritzville for 2000 amp Tesla superchargers. 509 Electric from Ephrata is the contractor.

PatT. Here is a link to a GREAT SUPERCHARGER Map. They keep up with SC's that are permitted, under construction and active. I don't see your find listed in the data column so you should have the "honor" of adding it to the map. I too am interested in the 7 SC's to be added to this western end of the I90 route because I want to drive to Chicago this summer.

Superchargers (funny looking URL but it is legit and works well)

Thanks for the direction JohnMc. I knew about the site but not how to update it. I emailed a copy of the permit.

BTW, I stopped by on Sunday with the idea of seeing if there was any construction activity. I had heard it was going to be sited near the Best Western. I didn't see anything except a couple of flagged survey stakes on the southern edge of their parking lot. As Prcee2 pointed out, apparently an inspection has already taken place so something should be showing by now. If anybody is in the neighborhood it would be nice to know exactly where the construction is taking place along with a picture. The address for the permit doesn't appear to show up as being near the Best Western.

- - - Updated - - -

If Tesla follows the format that they used to install the Ritzville charger, the contractor for CDA will be "208 Electric" ;)

Ellensburg is about 200 miles from Pullman/Moscow. Vantage is the major interchange for several highways and it is the commonly used route to Pullman and Moscow.
Moses Lake would work, but it is out of the way.

Ellensburg to WSU/U of probably wouldn't be possible during school season due to the extreme cold spells. Elevation changes need to be considered too.
Ritzville is way out of the way for those coming from the west. Those coming from the East would probably use a completely different route out of Spokane.

I just have to wonder why they chose Ritzville. I don't understand that one.
Hermiston, Ellensburg, and Ritzville form a "triangle" and are roughly located at major intersections. While many people don't consider the Tri-Cities much of an importance for EVs, we do have a few redeeming qualities. Having SCs at Ritzville & Ellensburg provide a nice boost charge for travel to the larger cities. In case you haven't driven over here, it can be pretty desolate.

About a year ago I drove from Capitol Hill in Seattle, picked up a friend in Kirkland, up to Paradise, back to Kirkland, then home, all on a single charge. The weather was in the 30s and 40s. The trip was 242 miles total, and I returned with 18 rated miles.

I am considering a Issaquah -> Paradise -> Issaquah round trip this weekend. Anyone else successfully make the trip? Any tips on back-up charging if needed - for example would like to know there was a charger in the park? I am using EVTripPlanner to map this out. Looks do-able on a range charge with 85KW battery. I will have 5 adults in the car.

I went Redmond-Paradise-Redmond last September. I did NOT take the Model S; the Superchargers are too far out of the way, and the CHAdeMO adapter was not yet available (one of those would make the trip easy). There's no charging in the park and it's just too far when you might be hitting snow (which we did). We probably would have made it...but it was just too close to be sure.

This time of year, and from a slightly closer place like Issaquah, I would do it as long as I have a backup plan for an L2 charger on the way back. There's plenty of stations near the Puyallup Fairgrounds, for example.

I went Redmond-Paradise-Redmond last September. I did NOT take the Model S; the Superchargers are too far out of the way, and the CHAdeMO adapter was not yet available (one of those would make the trip easy). There's no charging in the park and it's just too far when you might be hitting snow (which we did). We probably would have made it...but it was just too close to be sure.

This time of year, and from a slightly closer place like Issaquah, I would do it as long as I have a backup plan for an L2 charger on the way back. There's plenty of stations near the Puyallup Fairgrounds, for example.
When I did it, it was in March. It was cool, and there was plenty of snow, but the roads themselves were clear. The reason I wasn't worried was that there are quite a few charging opportunities on the way home. Many of them are private, found on PlugShare, but once you get to Tacoma or Puyallup, public stations are quite plentiful. There is also the Copper Creek Inn and Lodge Resort in Ashford, right outside the park, that has a NEMA 14-50. I was not aware of it when I made my trip, so perhaps it is new. They say charging is free for guests, but I suspect you could pay for a charge if you are not a guest. The number is 360-569-2798. I believe if you begin with a full charge, drive conservatively (I stayed within the speed limit), and plan to stop for a charge if you find you are using more energy than expected, you won't have a problem.