Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Mismatch Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not yet, but for some reason I had a nightmare last night about my second one being just like the first one, but even an earlier production date. WHAT IS TESLA DOING TO ME!. LOL

I am waiting for my 2nd delivery call as well.

I watched many white Y videos from youtube. Surprisingly, I can see every white Y has the mismatch issue on door panels, but either nobody bother to talk about it or they do not realize that is an issue???

The other day I was asking my wife is it possible that people have different sense of the color differences like color blind to the same color e.g.white?

Reactions: Kelr316
Took my Model Y to service center to inquire about the paint mismatch on my rear bumper. Their response was:

Inspected customers rear fascia and no issues found. Advised customer about paint on rear fascia versus paint on body panel pieces will look different due to paint material used for it to flex on plastic bumpers.

Correction: Remote - Education

IMG_0122.jpg

Took my Model Y to service center to inquire about the paint mismatch on my rear bumper. Their response was:

Inspected customers rear fascia and no issues found. Advised customer about paint on rear fascia versus paint on body panel pieces will look different due to paint material used for it to flex on plastic bumpers.

View attachment 562249

Just be happy they didn't charge you for a two-tone car.... ;)
Here's mine that I returned, not just for the paint for other issue as well.

Attachments

• 20200617_123327.jpg
    20200617_123327.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 121
Just picked up mine, I can’t tell any mismatch in sun or shade. My vin was 17xxx, took too long to get to Canada to sell by quarter end, so I was able to delay delivery until yesterday since it arrived in Canada July 1.

View attachment 562249
Doh. Can you return it?

View attachment 562249

If they fix your car, they will have to fix every single white Y they made so far because every white Y is the same. So, for me , I make myself accept the mismatch on the bumpers.

However, this is not a simple Quality Issue anymore, it shows how Tesla honors their customers with such a nice 2 tones car with lots of fit&finish issues, plus how about things you cannot see?

Normally, car manufacturers give the color code to suppliers, and ensure suppliers provide GOOD parts. If not, supplier will take whole responsibility to get everything right.

In this case, I am guessing even Tesla do not know how to make the right white color yet (door panel color mismatch), so suppliers can dispute all penalties if Tesla tried to blame them or the bumper supplier might be owned by Tesla?

horrible.

tesla is clearly rushing these out.

elon needs his numbers.

damn, elon. you really are running the company into the ground. please resign and maybe tesla can re-find itself.

I would not touch a new tesla now, given what I'm seeing. have to say: I tell everyone to avoid tesla until they get their act together.

shame that such a nice brand is going to hell in a handbasket.

Unfortunately white is the baseline paint and a popular color. I don't hear a lot of complaints regarding the other colors. I cancelled my white MY order a few weeks ago hoping that Tesla can clean up their Model Y act in the near future. I think it's B.S. regarding the color on sheet metal vs. flexible bumpers. They should be exactly the same . . color-wise. Paying close to $70K for a car with a Yugo or Lada paint job is not acceptable. Elon . . . Please get your manufacturing & assembly process right . . . . paint & panel fit isn't rocket science (pun intended)!

Last edited:
Unfortunately white is the baseline paint and a popular color. I don't hear a lot of complaints regarding the other colors. I cancelled my white MY order a few weeks ago hoping that Tesla can clean up their Model Y act in the near future. I think it's B.S. regarding the color on sheet metal vs. flexible bumpers. They should be exactly the same . . color-wise. Paying close to $70K for a car with a Yugo or Lada paint job is not acceptable. Elon . . . Please get your manufacturing & assembly process right!

I was told this is a common issue specifically with the white color. If you're considering a MY, I'd suggest any color other than white.

Unfortunately white is the baseline paint and a popular color. I don't hear a lot of complaints regarding the other colors. I cancelled my white MY order a few weeks ago hoping that Tesla can clean up their Model Y act in the near future. I think it's B.S. regarding the color on sheet metal vs. flexible bumpers. They should be exactly the same . . color-wise. Paying close to $70K for a car with a Yugo or Lada paint job is not acceptable. Elon . . . Please get your manufacturing & assembly process right!

dont worry, elon has had enough of the environmental protections that california 'forces' on its local economy.

when he moves to texas, he can break any laws he wants.

maybe then the paint will improve.

maybe.

(glad I don't live where he'll be painting, though)

Damn! Sorry you have a bumper like that AND a response from the SC like that!

Hard to say what percentage of White Ys suffer with these issues as people do post images of white Ys that are painted properly.

I also rejected a white Y with the two tone doors issue (bumpers were fine) and am very concerned the 2nd try will be any better (no VIN yet)....

The only good part is that I still have 70K in my pocket and it will stay there until Tesla makes me a car that's one color!

Reactions: raggedy
What do you think?

Jbuntz, if that's your car, sorry, but that is awful.

I can understand a slight mismatch from bumpers to body, as you do see this slight variation with other car makers, but the stevobot's bumper to body difference is huge to my eye. That discrepancy looks like something that came out of a discount paint and body shop, and I mean DISCOUNT.

I have white on order and hold, and I'm still hoping they can get the white MYs right. Maybe when they start making the cars in the actual factory and not the tent the quality will improve? Are the MYs being painted in the tent, if anyone knows?