Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Mismatch Survey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But looks like other models are ok on white. Is this the problem because MY are made in tents?

that's a good question. are the MYs being painted in the tent or are they being painted in the same room as the other models?

I'm just stumped as to why Tesla chooses to paint the MY unibody separate from the doors. Begs the question of whether the hood and hatch are also painted separately, but there hasn't been a rash of mismatched hoods and hatches that we know of.

Took Delivery on Friday, inspection was done inside. Now that I have looked at the the paint in the daylight it appears that the doors and rear 1/4 quarter panel do not match. Am I seeing things that aren’t really there. Thanks for your opinions

View attachment 554745

yours looks great to me. I think people are noticing more on the white model because it’s easier to tell. But I have yet to hear a logical explanation as to why only white would be affected.

I would guess that every color is experiencing the some paint issues on some cars but it’s just harder to tell on the darker shades.

yours looks great to me. I think people are noticing more on the white model because it’s easier to tell. But I have yet to hear a logical explanation as to why only white would be affected.

I would guess that every color is experiencing the some paint issues on some cars but it’s just harder to tell on the darker shades.

I believe you are right. There is video from Chicago detail shop. They measured the variance of paint thickness around the whole car, and definitely the results were all over the places.

Because of the differences of paint thickness, the white color is not able to cover the base coating (dark color) if it is too thin, but other colors are doing better on this part. However, the paint job overall on all colors is not acceptable in terms of the industrial standard for sure, but tesla will claim they are within Tesla's spec I guess.

Reactions: Za_c and OZKM3
I noticed some paint variance on mine, but not as bad as some and I only notice from certain angles but the rear bumper is the most apparent. Not bad enough for me to go nuts over so I'm going to eventually get paint correction and ceramic. My BMW I traded for this had paint issues as well so it is what it is. Some people at paint shops I know had mentioned to me that BMW/MINI and Tesla among some others have very thin coats and use water based paints so this can account for some of the issues, but I'm no expert.

I really think Tesla needs to drop the pearl white color. Maybe switch to a metallic white?

Pearl white (or PPSW Shasta White Pearl), at least when it was a paid premium paint is one of Tesla’s best- you can see how popular it is on the Model X.

I love it on our 2018 Model 3, which reads paint thickness of 7-8 mils consistently on all panels. It’s stunning, especially when detailed and ceramic-coated. If you’re in my area, I’ll proudly show you how good the finish is. model y paint defects

The paint on the MY is a nightmare and my area’s top body shop said it’s so bad Tesla should be worried about losing customers. In the sun you can see insufficiently painted areas poking through the fenders and other areas. I have considered just driving around with the visible paint issues in a perfectly detailed car and head to car meetups to bring more awareness and shame to Tesla, but I don’t want to be a martyr, especially in my neighborhood where we’re called the Tesla family.

My blue MY is now getting repainted in many panels for $4K I’m paying out of pocket. This is after Seattle Tesla did a terrible job with the repaint to address the non-uniform paint. They missed completely the rear hatch and hood which still has paint leprosy throughout.

Consider that Tesla is boasting about profitability of the new Model Y- where does everyone think that’s coming from? Hmm let’s see, dropping auto-dimming side mirrors, no frunk carpets and hooks, no dead pedal, missing quality control, lets consider thin paint- thinned down to the extremes that customers may not notice until a nice sunny day? Seems to explain the large flood of MY deliveries in the Seattle area where only until very recently, the sun has not come out to highlight the paint issues.

Last edited:
19****, Front and rear bumpers are definitely a warmer hue. Looks identical to @Kahuna555

During a walk with the dog, I checked out other white front/rear bumpers. It's at least 60% mismatches. Every manufacturer is guilty, the best match I saw was a Chevy Aveo - near perfect wtf. After awhile you start seeing other colors right away.

My Honda CR-V was white and the bumpers and body also had a slight difference in color. My previous Ford Focus ST was one of the loud yellow/orange ones, it also had a difference between the body and bumpers. I believe this is just a thing with most vehicles and not only Tesla. Now for all the other paint issues that's a totally different story.

My Honda CR-V was white and the bumpers and body also had a slight difference in color. My previous Ford Focus ST was one of the loud yellow/orange ones, it also had a difference between the body and bumpers. I believe this is just a thing with most vehicles and not only Tesla. Now for all the other paint issues that's a totally different story.

I think majority people talking about door panels? At least I rejected my MY because of front door and rear door are obviously different white.

During my delivery, I told my DS I am ok with the bumpers, but the door panels - NO. He agreed that the door panels need repaint to fix the issue.

Got my good friend to jump on to Tesla after he fell in love with mines. He placed an order white on black LR AWD 5 days ago and was told it can take up to 8 weeks.

Long story short, Tesla and its magical glory texted today stating that its ready for delivery.

The hell with the check list. We will comb it ever so gently with a coarse brush...

Took delivery of MY 2 weeks ago, and was focused more on panel gaps and paint quality versus match. When I picked it up, it was in the sunlight so to the naked eye it seemed to match fine. But just like others have mentioned, once you put it under less than ideal lighting conditions, you can see the difference.

With all the issues with Tesla paint, I dropped it off to get ceramic coat and ppf. Went to pick it up today, and noticed the door not matching the paint and now it's really bothering me. It's not the detail shop to point it out to me, but I wish they would have. They also said they noticed paint tape still on the door. I wonder if this was repainted or the original paint tape. The driver side seems to be OK, it's the passenger side that it's noticeable.

I am still under the 1000 miles, so my dilemma is to return it but then I would be out the $2k I just spent for the paint protection, and would have to wait another 12 months before I could order the same trim. We have a baby on the way, so we do need a bigger car. Advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_111453.jpg
    IMG_20200725_111453.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20200725_111534.jpg
    IMG_20200725_111534.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 108
Took delivery of MY 2 weeks ago, and was focused more on panel gaps and paint quality versus match. When I picked it up, it was in the sunlight so to the naked eye it seemed to match fine. But just like others have mentioned, once you put it under less than ideal lighting conditions, you can see the difference.

With all the issues with Tesla paint, I dropped it off to get ceramic coat and ppf. Went to pick it up today, and noticed the door not matching the paint and now it's really bothering me. It's not the detail shop to point it out to me, but I wish they would have. They also said they noticed paint tape still on the door. I wonder if this was repainted or the original paint tape. The driver side seems to be OK, it's the passenger side that it's noticeable.

I am still under the 1000 miles, so my dilemma is to return it but then I would be out the $2k I just spent for the paint protection, and would have to wait another 12 months before I could order the same trim. We have a baby on the way, so we do need a bigger car. Advice?

If you took delivery two weeks ago you are past your return window. It is the lesser of 7 days OR 1000 miles. You are past 7 days so it looks like you will be keeping it.

Reactions: Picasso

since you have to keep it at this point I would try to appeal to Tesla for a repaint. That photo is pretty convincing.

if they say know then maybe get a quote for what it would cost to paint it yourself.

frustrating to have to paint a brand new car but that’s all I can think of.