Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panasonic v LG Batteries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after all the changing to Panasonic,

What all the changing to Panasonic?

All modern day Tesla batteries were always Panasonic manufactured until recently. It sounds like you are not aware that the Tesla branded batteries are actually manufactured by Panasonic in a Panasonic production area albeit in the Tesla factory and with some Tesla R&D

So Panasonic battery = Tesla battery

So after all the changing to Panasonic, they're now jumping ship again and going back to LG 5L (What ever the **** that one is). I mean, what is that? Do LR in the UK have this LG 5L?
It's not really a case of jumping ship. Tesla has a long term partnership with Panasonic in the US. For China, Tesla signed contracts with LG and CATL. Ideally Tesla don't want to be shipping batteries around the world, they want to source locally, but equally batteries are their biggest constraint so are forced to in some situations. Panasonic don't make batteries in China so the majority of MiC vehicles will come with batteries from LG and CATL.

The Performance model is the exception to this but I'm not sure people know the current Q4/Q1 '22 situation yet - either Panasonic are supplying US made batteries to Shanghai, Panasonic are supplying cells made in Japan to Shanghai with final assembly in China or Tesla will shift to the new LG battery which may explain why the Performance mileage range has decreased in the last few weeks on the website.

Well I dont really know whats going on, seems like about 1,000 different batteries knocking about.

So after all the changing to Panasonic, they're now jumping ship again and going back to LG 5L (What ever the **** that one is). I mean, what is that? Do LR in the UK have this LG 5L?

Not yet, but it looks like Germany, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Netherlands, France etc will be getting it from December onwards, based on what happens when you convert the WLTP stated on their Tesla sites to miles, you get 380 miles not 360.

Potted history..

The M3 LR and Performance have had
BT37 the original ~75kwh pana battery
BT38 the ~75kwh lg battery
BT42 the pana ~82kwh battery
BT43 the unknown, probably LG, ~ 82kwh battery

If you find your car in mytesla and look at the html you’ll find the battery code for your car but roughly..

They were all BT37 when MIA until the last year

When MIC LR started the MIA LR and P changed to BT42 and the MIC LR used the BT38.

There was a delay in MIC M3P (no Q2 deliveries of MIC P cars) until the BT42 battery was available in China. The MIC LR continued with the BT38

Europe have had a mix of MIA and MIC LR cars, and following the logic above, the MIC have the BT38 battery and consequently smaller capacity and range than the later MIA LR cars. U.K. have never had a 82kwh LR option (although could be about to change) as we switched to MIC before MIA switched to the BT42 battery

They’re now starting to use BT43 in MIC LR, at least they’ve been spotted heading to Australia

So there have only been 4 batteries and until a few weeks ago there were only 3.

The SR+ has a different history but again only 3 batteries have been used, all of smaller capacity.

Potted history..

The M3 LR and Performance have had
BT37 the original ~75kwh pana battery
BT38 the ~75kwh lg battery
BT42 the pana ~82kwh battery
BT43 the unknown, probably LG, ~ 82kwh battery

If you find your car in mytesla and look at the html you’ll find the battery code for your car but roughly..

They were all BT37 when MIA until the last year

When MIC LR started the MIA LR and P changed to BT42 and the MIC LR used the BT38.

There was a delay in MIC M3P (no Q2 deliveries of MIC P cars) until the BT42 battery was available in China. The MIC LR continued with the BT38

Europe have had a mix of MIA and MIC LR cars, and following the logic above, the MIC have the BT38 battery and consequently smaller capacity and range than the later MIA LR cars. U.K. have never had a 82kwh LR option (although could be about to change) as we switched to MIC before MIA switched to the BT42 battery

They’re now starting to use BT43 in MIC LR, at least they’ve been spotted heading to Australia

So there have only been 4 batteries and until a few weeks ago there were only 3.

The SR+ has a different history but again only 3 batteries have been used, all of smaller capacity.
well this clears up absolutely EVERYTHING

Given tesla update their website whenever they feel like it, its possible that UK Q4 LR deliveries happening over the course of the next 8 weeks could see a different battery then, possibly this unknown LG.

I understand the logistics now for the UK and the Panasonic/LG combo for Europe and just the LG batt for UK, but now they're looking likely to be LG Unknown..... surely it just makes logistic sense to give all cars that same battery which is from China anyway right.

I find it difficult to understand the amount of angst this thread has generated :oops:

I have a April build 2021v MiC M3 LR.
I don't really care who made the battery, or what the published "Official" range is: as with ICE MPG figures they are virtually meaningless.

My experience is that over 4000 miles of very mixed driving the average energy consumption is shown as 259 wh/mile, it ranges from 199 to 450, depending on where and when I drive. Assuming a 75kwh battery (is it?) and keeping it charged between 10% and 90% that gives me an available charge of 80% of the battery or 60kwh or 231 miles. I'm sure it will decrease in the winter.

Most of my charging is at home, but when I have arrived at a V3 Supercharger with less than 10% battery the initial charge rate was 220kw, it slowed and was at about 120 when it stopped at 90%. I monitor battery %, not range.

The car works, meets my needs and is fun to drive.

I find it difficult to understand the amount of angst this thread has generated
I'm sure most people would take a 20 mile increase in range if offered?

Knowing there is a newer battery that will give you an extra 20 mile range, for what should be no additional cost, is worth having and therefore knowing when that change will happen is what is difficult to predict and really the subject of this thread.

At the moment it is disappointing that if you are in the UK you get the old battery but in mainland Europe, Australia etc you get the new one, for the same price. It's as if they need to run down inventory of the old batteries and decided to give it to the British as they live on a small island so don't need to travel far 😁

Reactions: Llama. and jlz78
I find it difficult to understand the amount of angst this thread has generated :oops:

I don't really care who made the battery, or what the published "Official" range is: as with ICE MPG figures they are virtually meaningless.

My experience is that over 4000 miles of very mixed driving the average energy consumption is shown as 259 wh/mile, it ranges from 199 to 450, depending on where and when I drive. Assuming a 75kwh battery (is it?) and keeping it charged between 10% and 90% that gives me an available charge of 80% of the battery or 60kwh or 231 miles. I'm sure it will decrease in the winter.

Most of my charging is at home, but when I have arrived at a V3 Supercharger with less than 10% battery the initial charge rate was 220kw, it slowed and was at about 120 when it stopped at 90%. I monitor battery %, not range.

120kw charging speed at 90% is astonishing and has never been reported for any EV, even Tesla. Are you absolutely sure about that?

My experience has been that the charge rate drops to around 80-90 kw once the battery SOC is above 40% and ramps down from there. Further up the battery, it goes below 50kw, and around 90% it drops down to single digits.

Reactions: Adopado
I'm sure most people would take a 20 mile increase in range if offered?

Knowing there is a newer battery that will give you an extra 20 mile range, for what should be no additional cost, is worth having and therefore knowing when that change will happen is what is difficult to predict and really the subject of this thread.

At the moment it is disappointing that if you are in the UK you get the old battery but in mainland Europe, Australia etc you get the new one, for the same price. It's as if they need to run down inventory of the old batteries and decided to give it to the British as they live on a small island so don't need to travel far 😁
You can get a 20 mile range increase by changing the way you drive (boringly), or by keeping the car in a warm garage....

Reactions: Durzel

I completely agree with you. It's like a worm hole once you try and wrap your head around it, other meaningless points seem to take priority on a decision on buying a car. Quite frankly as Durzel mentioned earlier the only choice we have is to either buy or not buy. I too don't see residuals dropping depending on which battery you have. Technology advances and holding out for the next best thing can have you waiting a very, very long time. When i purchased mine, I got the smaller frunk but missed out on the octavalve. I was a little disappointed at the time but soon realised that it was insignificant to the grand scheme of things. I was able to get into one of the best cars imo (having gone through quite a lot) and enjoy it getting me to a-b with a smile on my face. Ignorance can also at times be bliss, and when it comes to reselling the new owner really won't care if it's Panasonic or LG battery, the only thing that matters with an EV is how far it can go. I personally don't think waiting an extra 5-10 mins should be a deciding factor unless you supercharge regularly (which could degrade the battery in the long run anyway). The 5-10 mins could be down to other variable factors even if you had different battery chemistry and most of us charge at home anyway.

I've rambled on enough but I would like to add there's no point stressing about things you have no control of, life is too short. If you want to hold fire in buying one, do so, as that's the only thing you can actually control. You definitely won't regret it, unless you end up with a lemon.

Reactions: Peter 224
120kw charging speed at 90% is astonishing and has never been reported for any EV, even Tesla. Are you absolutely sure about that?

My experience has been that the charge rate drops to around 80-90 kw once the battery SOC is above 40% and ramps down from there. Further up the battery, it goes below 50kw, and around 90% it drops down to single digits.

Agreed:
chargecurve.png

So I have a MIC Model 3 LR arriving which I ordered on 02/10/2021. I am due to pick the car up on Saturday in the UK.

I got the spec sheet aka Certificate of Conformity for it today and it states the Battery is:

Car Manufacturing date: 16/10/2021
Variant: E5CD
Version: BGb1s5N (from what i know this is a LG 77kWh Battery)
Range: 580km (360 Miles)

I called Tesla today and asked them to check if other cars which are being picked up in Decemer onwards and were made AFTER 01/11/2021 aka as the 2022 Model 3 Long Range will hve a different Battery spec etc. The guy checked this for me and went through a few certificates and said that all the information on those cars and specification for the Long Range is the same as mine. E5CD Battery.

Does anyone know any different?

can you confirm what the E5CD battery is and whether the variant is different etc?

I really wanted the 82kWh battery, my choice are to cancel and wait or just take this one. Also my car is classed as a 2021 Model 3 Long Range, if it had been built 2 weeks later 01/11/2021 it would have been classed as a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

any insights appreciated, Thanks.

I really wanted the 82kWh battery, my choice are to cancel and wait or just take this one. Also my car is classed as a 2021 Model 3 Long Range, if it had been built 2 weeks later 01/11/2021 it would have been classed as a 2022 Model 3 Long Range.

any insights appreciated, Thanks.

Cancelling won’t help, there’s no garuntee the 2022 Q1 batch will have it either, so you could end up waiting until mid-next year.
Secondly It’s a 5% difference, it won’t really be that noticeable compared to how you drive and treat your battery.

There will always be an upgrade and there will always be buyers envy (the 4680 batteries will be a much bigger jump). I would just live with it and be happy with what you have. The previous year’s version had much less.

Last edited:
Reactions: MESSIAH
Cancelling won’t help, there’s no garuntee the 2022 Q1 batch will have it either, so you could end up waiting until mid-next year.
Secondly It’s a 5% the difference, it won’t really be that noticeable compared to how you drive and treat your battery. There will always be an upgrade and there will always be buyers envy (the 4680 batteries will be a much bigger jump soon). I would just live with it and be happy with what you have.
I agree. If you go to the start of this thread, there’s a guy who did the same thing as you’re considering, this was like a year ago he was saying the same thing you’re saying.

Was thinking it would come in Q2/3 and it didn’t. So he’s probably bought another car by now.

I think overall there’s pros and cons to all the different variants. I don’t think the current LG 75kw is bad, some say it’s life span will be longer than other batteries.

It’s a lottery but find some confidence in that everyone with LR in the UK is in the same boat.

Reactions: MESSIAH