Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic buying!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a representative of petrol suppliers on the news this morning who mentioned a figure that was the amount of fuel that can be stored at petrol stations ready to be sold against the amount of fuel that could be stored in the tank of every vehicle in Britain if everyone filled their tank full. The latter figure was a multiple of the former by a ridiculously large amount, such that it’s no surprise if everyone suddenly decides to fill their tank at the same time the amount of fuel available at the forecourt disappears in no time and, unless some sort of normality in purchasing habits is resumed fairly quickly, supply will always struggle to meet demand and it can become a sort of continuously self fulfilling prophecy.

Fake News :D (I am only kidding)

though apparently UK searches for EV's have gone up 1600% in the last few days, so one minor silver lining to this chaos is it may help the transition to EV's that bit quicker (yes I know the charging infra is not ready, there is a shortage of 'affordable' EV's, there are not enough EV's produced full stop, electricity costs sky rocketing due to an electric grid that can't handle overcast low wind days etc etc etc - but we need to start somewhere)

Help a neighbour get to work and do the EV sales pitch while you have a captive audience
Any idea where that 1600% comes from? Google Trends doesn’t seem to show significant movement in the UK on the topic of electric vehicles over the last month.

This was on Sky News site…

Huge surge in interest in electric cars due to fuel crisis, Auto Trader says

The fuel crisis is leading to a "massive surge" in interest in electric cars, according to Auto Trader.

Ian Plummer, Auto Trader's commercial director, said the events of the past few days "mean we are entering the age of fuel anxiety".

He said: "We have seen a massive surge in consumer engagement for electric cars on our marketplace over the weekend.

"Not only did the number of advert views for new and used electric models increase a record 28% and 61% respectively versus the previous weekend, but we also saw a huge uplift in the number of people sending enquiries to retailers, with one sent every two minutes.

"This suggests that people aren't simply flirting with the idea of electric but have been encouraged to actively pursue a purchase."

Four out of five of the top performing new cars on Auto Trader this weekend were electric, with the Hyundai IONIQ 5 in top position, followed by the Ford Mustang Mach-E.

But he warned it's "unlikely" to represent a major step towards the government's "road to zero ambitions", as they are "prohibitively expensive" for most people while concerns of an "inadequate charging infrastructure" remain.

He said: "Concern about petrol availability won't end when the pumps start up again, and so this increased interest represents a unique opportunity to inform, to excite and to incentivise car owners to make the switch. If the government is serious about reaching its 2030 targets, then it is one it can ill afford to miss."

Reactions: MrT.
Any idea where that 1600% comes from? Google Trends doesn’t seem to show significant movement in the UK on the topic of electric vehicles over the last month.

No idea why it's being reported either, Google trends shows a higher peak for the term in February.

There is a new peak now, but far from the highest over the past year. Last November was high.

I guess a reporter could play around with various search terms, sum them and come up with a 1600% figure somehow.

It might be the same science they use for shampoo adverts.

• Funny

I found article with a surge of 160%

"Electric vehicle (EV) sales have surged, with growth in all three top auto markets: China, the US, and Europe. Sales increased by 160% in the first half of 2021 from a year earlier, to 2.6 million units, representing 26% of new sales in the global automotive market."

Wasn't there panic buying last year on fuel, takes about a week for everyone to fill their car then suddenly forecourts will be empty as no one needs fuel for a few weeks.

Unlike toilet roll there are strict rules on stockpiling of fuel

I had a 5 hour trip yesterday through remote Scotland, returning tonight, a week ago I was thinking of taking the petrol, funnily that changed over the weekend to the LR being the safer bet, left 100%, stopped Fort William at 50%, back up to 93%, then should get back to FW tonight at 15%, 30 mins and that's enough to get me home

Reactions: PITA
Looks like some clever sole has just worked out how to get people back on to the buses - they have leaked that there is a shortage of bus drivers so everyone is now going to want a panic ride on a bus for FOMO ;)

tbh, I've had a few panic rides on buses - no need for a bus driver shortage to guarantee a white knuckle ride...

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
I'm off before it sells out and goes up in price. Get to the pub quickly everyone....

FAEwo6mVcAEp8oC.jpg

My son's school bus was cancelled today due to insufficient deliveries to the bus depot. Clearly this issue isn't purely due to panic buying and the media, as I doubt double decker bus drivers panic buy.
Or the limited drivers which is a fact are having to restock all the forecourt’s more often due to the panic buying instead of restocking the bus depot…

I suppose one thing this may highlight is that "Range Anxiety" is not an "EV" thing.
I went to Birmingham from Cardiff today for a meeting (virtual not an option). 109 miles, start at 90% and end at 39% with a reported 302 wh/mil.
Clients have 7kw charger. Didn't work (Rolec, "no power to charger" message). No problem, I cheerily reassured them Tesla has its own charging network! Car took me to Hopwood Park... 11 miles in miserable traffic and preheat for supercharge burned through a further 10%... Hopwood Park inaccessible because of the queue of fossil fuel cars. Now not enough electrons to get home. Combination of zap map and ABRP gets me to Nunnery Park Worcester where all 7 electron pumps redlighted. Happily spotted this before an I3 and got to Oak Apple's Osprey gave me 33kw of a promised 50 until ABRP told me I had enough (41%) to get home. I3 arrived five minutes after me and an Ipace 5 minutes after him, both resigned to long waits.
I got home showing 2% having rationed heating and been overtaken by laughing lorries.
It was also pissing down.
This is no way to live.

Or the limited drivers which is a fact are having to restock all the forecourt’s more often due to the panic buying instead of restocking the bus depot…
If a petrol company decided to skip a bus depot so they ran out then they are thick as mince. If buses don't run there will be more cars on the road, so more queues for petrol. Quite possible though.

There are limited drivers though, fewer than was needed to keep the supply going and its been teetering on the edge for months. It was broken long before any panicing. I'm pretty suspicious why no one has published how much fuel has actually been sold over the last few days, as maybe 2/3 of petrol stations are dry how much of these queues are just displaced users of other petrol stations.