Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No wonder that Aston Martin is so cheap, the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

if that Aston was repaired and put back on the road do you think Aston Martin has every right to never ever offer any support should the vehicle need a recall or update due to there flawed computing software technology or someone being able to remotely Hack it ? Do you also think it is fair/ just or right to not warranty any other part of the car or say it is a "lemon" , further would you buy if the seller offered it to you 50% cheaper then the selling rate?

The steering wheel is on the right side over here :)

Your wrong in regard to “if you were to buy the car from me and I did not disclose it was a written off vehicle”, I have no duty of care to any buyer, just like you previously stated now your contradicting yourself, in one hand you say “buyer must do due dilligence and repsonisuibilyt is on buyer, now your saying that you could sue me for not disclosing it was a written off vehicle” (well at least in Australia the law is “buyer beware” I am not a dealer to have a duty of care, if that was the case then every car that broke down a week later would see all the sellers in court rooms and cars break down every single day 365 days a year so your completely wrong)

I sincerely hope you are not planning to represent yourself in court... :)

Good luck, you are probably going to need it.

if that Aston was repaired and put back on the road do you think Aston Martin has every right to never ever offer any support should the vehicle need a recall or update due to there flawed computing software technology or someone being able to remotely Hack it ?

No, but Tesla did try to do a safety recall for you and you refused. Are you positive that there is a remotely exploitable security hole in the firmware on your car? But even if there was Tesla doesn't have to provide it for free, as their warranty specifically calls out that they end support on a number of cases, like the vehicle being totaled. So you knew, or should have known, that you wouldn't have any warranty/free support from them before you re-purchased the car from your insurance company. In any case their policy is that they will provide updates if you pass an HV system inspection.

Do you also think it is fair/ just or right to not warranty any other part of the car or say it is a "lemon" , further would you buy if the seller offered it to you 50% cheaper then the selling rate?

If it is because it was totaled, yes.

No, but Tesla did try to do a safety recall for you and you refused. Are you positive that there is a remotely exploitable security hole in the firmware on your car? But even if there was Tesla doesn't have to provide it for free, as their warranty specifically calls out that they end support on a number of cases, like the vehicle being totaled. So you knew, or should have known, that you wouldn't have any warranty/free support from them before you re-purchased the car from your insurance company. In any case their policy is that they will provide updates if you pass an HV system inspection.

If it is because it was totaled, yes.

Tesla wants to do a safety recall and I dont have the time to do it that day , also they were the ones who advised it didn't need to be done urgently at this moment right now as cars get affected after 4 or 6 years! so I said cool I wont run the risk lets book it for another time, and then the tech did a back flip and wanted to do it right then! then I told him no and he said ok well stop working on your car then altogether! this is no way to talk to nobody or treat no customer, then to call the police on them and ban them and leave there window opened and its raining outside and you know the window control module was faulty and they couldn't close there window, you all seem to not even be addressing any of this funnily, leads me to believe only one thing you guys are affiliated, or something else im missing

insurance company makes the decision to total! see that Aston , that's totalled by the insurer, so should Aston not warranty the whole car if over the phone they tell you yes it still has warranty and you bought it on that advice! regardless , im not chasing warranty or supercharging, there car is electric and can be controlled remotely and im sure since 2016 up to now some of the updates included safety issues/ patches/updates that has nothing to do with me, or the seller , or the accident, that is wholly teslas design flaw and issue, it is also an issue Tesla only has patent (monopoly) software too and trained to do!

Moreover I never once said I wouldn't or dont want to pay for it, im more then happy to pay for it , they just never have offered it ,and said no updates ever!

Also what makes you so confident they will provide updates once the HV ? is it stated anywhere ? what they have told me is it will never ever happen, would you drive a car that you dont know if it has been compromised or needs a special safety patch, nobody knows this but them and they aren't advising or telling me, if I drive this car and it is compromised somehow be it a safety issue that needed to be updated, or it got hacked, tesla would be held liable but so will I , knowing that the car was not up to date and that that security flaw could well be a possibility !

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
So the car hasn't been updated in 3 years and you are just now concerned? You might actually be able to find someone that would pay a premium to get a car with the old firmware on it...

incorrect ! the Door windows were not going up and they advised me on the phone once again to do a reset and it might clear so I did a full reset and it took me back to original software , latest software was before the accident 2018 August, however regardless again even if it is up to date 2018 August software, what about In the future should the hacker for example get around this, or they come to realise a patch is needed to be sent out to there cars due to for example AP or cars catching fire? what do I do call them every 5 minutes and ask them can I drive the car? is it going to get hacked? any news on fires or safety issues ? they need to push these updates out as they do to everybody and ensure the car is not able to be compromised, if anything I may lose some money and maybe kill someone , and if I live it will fall on Tesla in the end, nobody else fault here at all. I think I have figured it out .....a lot of people on this forum are investors in this company and hate to see negative posts that will bring this company down or affect there share prices. Now my advice to you as a entrepreneur dont invest in companies that there cars can kill people , especially when its foreseeable in my situation and your dealer does nothing what so ever to rectify it! cant wait to park my car out the front with the posters on it I will take pics and upload them for you all :) if Tesla does not do the right thing by me, then I also have no reason to not make that street with my car balloons attached to it all black! and put a clowns head on my bonnet attached ! Fight for whats your right in life! dont let nobody bully you!

• Disagree
MODERATOR - PLEASE CLOSE THIS POST.

The OP (Dark_Vader) finds himself in a frustrating situation through purchasing a written off Tesla vehicle; without his pre-purchase due diligence and/or full disclosure by those that sold it to him, or those that may have given him verbal advice (allegedly Tesla) during the purchasing process.

I’ve been a member of this form for several years and have found it to be nothing but knowledgeable and helpful. Similarly I’ve always found Tesla Service centres and their staff in Australia to be very helpful.

I don’t work for Tesla, I don’t invest with Tesla - I simply drive a Tesla.

Many people have attempted to help this person with advice which is usually rejected and followed by an emotional rant of half-truths against Tesla.

This thread is no longer helpful to this troubled person and responses seem to antagonise him further.

For everybody’s mental health and before the OP becomes troll-fodder, please close down this thread.

Reactions: ARMARM
The OP (Dark_Vader) finds himself in a frustrating situation through purchasing a written off Tesla vehicle; without his pre-purchase due diligence and/or full disclosure by those that sold it to him, or those that may have given him verbal advice (allegedly Tesla) during the purchasing process.

Just as a point my understanding is that he owned the car and it was in an accident. His insurance company decided that it was totaled and offered him to keep it for at a really cheap price. So he fully knew it was totaled, and he had read the warranty on his car when he originally purchased it he would have known that the warranty would be invalidated.

What I don't understand is him calling Tesla to ask about warranty and Supercharging and when exactly that happened. (Since I think the car was totaled a couple years ago.)

MODERATOR - PLEASE CLOSE THIS POST.

I’ve been a member of this form for several years and have found it to be nothing but knowledgeable and helpful. Similarly I’ve always found Tesla Service centres and their staff in Australia to be very helpful.

I don’t work for Tesla, I don’t invest with Tesla - I simply drive a Tesla.

Many people have attempted to help this person with advice which is usually rejected and followed by an emotional rant of half-truths against Tesla.

This thread is no longer helpful to this troubled person and responses seem to antagonise him further.

For everybody’s mental health and before the OP becomes troll-fodder, please close down this thread.

Your asking a moderator to close this thread because Tesla is not doing a airbag recall "illegaly!" and allowing a vehicle to be on public road that may require a security patch for everybodys safety , to add calling police on there customers because you can't stay in there service centre the whole day, and then don't offer any support for a vehicle they are only trained to work on and have the machinery too! is this why this thread needs to be closed ?

Stop attacking me as a person about "mental health" coz what lurks in the back of mind god forbid it should ever be exposed, "am I frustrated ? yes of course, do I have every right to be ? yes of course" if that's too much for you to handle maybe question your own mental capacity to accept that life is not perfect nor will it ever be, this is a real world problem and one I'm facing "not you" yet your upset about it.
Perhaps try to address all the issues I've raised in this post about what's happened to me and not try to find faults on me expressing what this company done to me.

Have a good day

• Disagree
Just as a point my understanding is that he owned the car and it was in an accident. His insurance company decided that it was totaled and offered him to keep it for at a really cheap price. So he fully knew it was totaled, and he had read the warranty on his car when he originally purchased it he would have known that the warranty would be invalidated.

What I don't understand is him calling Tesla to ask about warranty and Supercharging and when exactly that happened. (Since I think the car was totaled a couple years ago.)

I didn't own the car from factory I was second owner

I own the car , the front fender panel was replaced and front bumper scratched mate. Please leave the truth to me I would know I own it, there are also photos in this post go have a look, better yet lets all have a meet up and you come see it yourself and take it for a drive. It drives like a dream!
Doesn't matter whether the car drives like a dream or not. The only relevant fact is if the car was "written off" (which is my understanding of the Australian equivalent of "totalling" a car in the United States). If so (and all indications from the Australia group is the car WAS written off...you have just been conspicuous in your unwillingness to answer the question directly) then there is no issue. Tesla has NO responsibility to support the car or provide repairs under warranty, period (and neither does any other car manufacturer).

Doesn't matter whether the car drives like a dream or not. The only relevant fact is if the car was "written off" (which is my understanding of the Australian equivalent of "totalling" a car in the United States). If so (and all indications from the Australia group is the car WAS written off...you have just been conspicuous in your unwillingness to answer the question directly) then there is no issue. Tesla has NO responsibility to support the car or provide repairs under warranty, period (and neither does any other car manufacturer).

HAHAHAH well then dont ever scratch your front bumper and lose 8 years of battery and motor warranty and be like "Cool Tesla, I love you long time guys you have every right to do this to me completely I'm ok with it keep my $140,000 of everyday waking up in the morning working my a$$ off for a year if not 2 just for you guys to completely make me stuck with a car that can never be worked on, repaired, updated, bought, sold, and unsafe and risk my life and the publics !" your mentalities one I've never met in my life !

Maybe go back read the whole post, the car had a cosmetic 3mm Alumium front fender bent! and front bumper scratched, if you call this "Totalled!" then not sure about many things now in my life HAAHAHAH.... Oh and you said "totalled in Australia" a billion dollar insurance companies assessor said and signed off that the car is not deemed to be "totalled" and to be "put back on the roads" which it has and is! so leave the judging of what car is "totalled" or not to the people who are trained and made the initial decision of it not being "a total write-off". in Australia there are two types of written off vehicles, one can be repaired and driven again (as in my case) and the other the insurance deems it to be not safe and beyond repair (not my one)

it matters very much if it "drives like a dream or not" if the car drives perfectly fine what's the issue besides the ones Tesla are creating ? waiting for you to answer this too!

I have not been conspicuous in the slightest I was in another country the time people had enquired about my car and last thing on my mind was delving into explaining to people everything that I have tried to explain here over and over and over and over ! several times whilst in another country at a different time zone, I have had 263 emails about this car of people wanting to purchase it, imagine doing this to 263 people ! let alone sitting here on this forum trying to tell 3 people and they seem unable to grasp it SMFH!

I did not advertise this car for $120,000 like other people with my car advertised there's, I put it for $69,000 , yes that's a saving of $50,000 for a car that had a scratch to its front bumper and fender replaced all parts supplied by Tesla too! I gave people like "you" and the likes on here a $50,000 discount, on the other hand Tesla sold you vehicles for $140,000 then dropped the price to $100,000 6 months later, effectively robbing you of $40,000 each and your all sitting here saying im the one here to blame HAHAHAH (are you a Tesla employee or share holder?)

I gave people a $50,000 discount , try calling someone up about there car and asking for a $5000 discount and see your reply "let alone if you get one back", I did not learn of Tesla pulling the plug and bullying intimidating me and refusing me things they promised me just up until recent! and why the cars off the market at the moment until I sort it out for the next "good guy" like one of you who will want to buy it, in effect I am doing the hard work for you so you won't have to face this problem with them. In saying so im getting told off and blamed and discredited for no wrong doings on my part what so ever! If the court case does not come in my favour which I have a lot of people on board with this at the moment , then I will call it one of the losses in my life I have paid for and life goes on. I could always just contact third parties to do the updates remotely "end of story" this is not about the updates , a fancy font wont change what the car is, its about a billion dollar company selling cars and then screwing up customers in my country! if somebody short changed you at the shops $10 dollars you would be upset , now go start a court case about the $40,000 you just lost when Tesla reduced the price of the model S last week, "oh thats right you cant!" now eat your cake and enjoy it too

• Disagree
HAHAHAH well then dont ever scratch your front bumper and lose 8 years of battery and motor warranty and be like "Cool Tesla, I love you long time guys you have every right to do this to me completely I'm ok with it keep my $140,000 of everyday waking up in the morning working my a$$ off for a year if not 2 just for you guys to completely make me stuck with a car that can never be worked on, repaired, updated, bought, sold, and unsafe and risk my life and the publics !" your mentalities one I've never met in my life !

That isn't how it works. If the insurance company decides your car is totaled they make you whole again by giving you money to purchase a comparable car. So it doesn't matter that the warranty is gone on the car you paid $140k for, since you no longer own it. Now if you took your settlement money and bought the car back, it is no longer a $140k car... How much did you pay the insurance company to keep it?

Reactions: drklain
That isn't how it works. If the insurance company decides your car is totaled they make you whole again by giving you money to purchase a comparable car. So it doesn't matter that the warranty is gone on the car you paid $140k for, since you no longer own it. Now if you took your settlement money and bought the car back, it is no longer a $140k car... How much did you pay the insurance company to keep it?

Mike stick to CDs , MP3s are bad quality. So what you mean to tell me effectively is that if the insurer paid me lets say for arguments sake $120k this car is not worth more then $20k ? HHAHAHAH just some information for you, a Tesla got sold 4 days ago in auction very similar to mine, but this one had a broken bumper , not scratched like mine, anyway it got sold for $73,000 and it has no warranty or supercharging either, I had my car for sale for $58k and then realised I put it too cheap and listed it for $70k and now im thinking its still too cheap, lucky I didnt sell it then I guess

Not sure what part of my story and post some members in here seem to overlook or not address. But before I bought this car I called Tesla and asked about supercharging and warranty they told me it had it! Then after I bought it they refused to honour there word!

You didn’t speak to Tesla, you spoke to one of Tesla’s employees. That employee answers phones and answers questions. As such he/she didn’t give you his/her word. That employee is not empowered to bind the corporation and to change corporate policy. That employee just gives you the best information he/she has. He/she doesn’t make promises, just reads. Since you didn’t mention the salvage status, that employee responded to the information you did disclose.

As far as get it in writing, the Tesla corporate policy regarding salvage vehicles is already in writing. Tesla’s warranty is also in writing.

I think you knew Tesla’s policy and called to see if the car’s salvage status was in Tesla’s database. Then thinking it hadn’t been identified as a salvage by Tesla, you bought the car in the hopes Tesla would continue to support the car despite its salvage status. But Tesla was aware the car was a total loss, so true to their written policies, they did not continue warranty coverage and supercharging.

As far as Tesla is concerned, that car was wrecked, paid for by the insurance company, and the car belongs on the scrap heap. You come along and say that car isn’t scrap, it’s a nice car and I can fix it. The insurance company is happy you’ll pay money for the scrapped vehicle so they sell you the wreck.

Now you go back to Tesla and tell them how angry you are, how you called someone at Tesla who read off the standard warranty policy instead of the totally wrecked Tesla policy.

Your mistake was trying to dupe Tesla into providing warranty and charging support for a salvage vehicle. They won’t. They’ve got a written policy that they won’t. You can go to court, you can hang black balloons on the car, you can cause a ruckus at the repair facility that gets you a police escort off the premises, it won’t change anything.

You can try to stir up things here, it won’t help. As a group, we are fairly bright. If you tell us you bought a salvaged car and you weren’t smart enough to read Tesla’s policies on salvaged cars, we’ll probably get the idea you just aren’t bright. Or if you did read the policies, you might still be bright but just not at all honest. Since the police had to remove you from Tesla property, I assume you were loud and disruptive too.

As for me I think you made a coldly calculated telephone call, and solely on that weak basis, you made an expensive bet. Your bet didn’t turn out as well as you’d hoped. Now instead of recognizing the risk of that weakly based bet, you are frustrated and lashing out. If you are hoping there will be a huge groundswell of support here, that’s not going to happen. You aren’t going to sue Tesla. You can’t win. You can only learn and move on. Or not.

Reactions: drklain and Vegas