Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paradigm Shift Happening with My Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have already extolled the virtues of Autopilot and how it has made my morning commute so much more enjoyable (see: How Autopilot has added years to my life.).

One thing I'm noticing is it has been a complete 180 in terms of what actually makes me happy when I drive. Before Tesla I definitely was the type A driver, priding myself on shaving a minute or two by making smart moves on the freeway, going around "road hogs" in the fast lane etc. On long road trips I prided myself on driving continuous for long distances without stopping and maintaining a high average mph.

Now I'm noticing that stuff like that doesn't matter as much. Maybe I'm getting older, but I think Tesla really has shifted my view of "reward" in different driving scenarios. Take for instance today on my commute to work, I was thrilled that I achieved the lowest avg watt/mile rating since I've owned the car for my morning commute. The difference in this lower rate was quite negligible in my overall range (and I have no worries about range anyway), with only maybe a 6 mile increase in my rated range, but I was far happier achieving it than getting to work 2-3 minutes faster like I used to.

By the way, even driving majority of commute on freeway at 79 mph (37 mile commute, probably 8 miles local roads), with autopilot on during freeway drive, the watt/mi avg for entire trip was 274, even lower that EPA rating which I thought was done at a much lower speed.

3 years of S has absolutely ruined ICE for me. I don't even rent anymore, just ride share.

I agree. I still have 2 ICE vehicles (my previous daily driver a 2004 C320 Mercedes, and an SUV 2006 Land Rover). It actually is an odd experience when I do drive these vehicles (never thought they were noisy drivers before but it is amazing how much you notice engine noise now coming from a Tesla). It also can sometimes be unsettling when you lift off the gas pedal and expect regenerative braking to kick in and slow you down and it doesn't. LOL

I had to sell my beloved MINI since it just wasn't bringing me any joy. I want a MINIe however ;) not holding my breath as BMW doesn't seem to understand they need a dedicated BEV chassis for their EVs.

I had to sell my beloved MINI since it just wasn't bringing me any joy. I want a MINIe however ;) not holding my breath as BMW doesn't seem to understand they need a dedicated BEV chassis for their EVs.
.. I have to disagree, they have a great understanding of what a dedicated EV chassis should be. While not in the same league as Tesla, their BEV i3 is awesome. Where they really have the advantage over Tesla is their use and knowledge of mas production of carbon fiber frames. Driving an EV has definitely changed my driving style as well

.. I have to disagree, they have a great understanding of what a dedicated EV chassis should be. While not in the same league as Tesla, their BEV i3 is awesome. Where they really have the advantage over Tesla is their use and knowledge of mas production of carbon fiber frames. Driving an EV has definitely changed my driving style as well
The i3 is not a dedicated BEV chassis. Even without the REX, the space is filled with foam. To date they have not announced or shown a dedicated BEV chassis. If anyone knows of one please post!

@xrayvsn Totally agree with you! AP has completely changed the way I view transportation. I find myself wishing my commute was longer, I'm not in such a rush and enjoy my surroundings more and I actually look for errands to run all of the time. AP in bumper to bumper traffic and highway driving are where it really shines. I feel bad for the cars around me having to constantly look and think about when to press the brake and accelerator :)

The i3 is not a dedicated BEV chassis. Even without the REX, the space is filled with foam. To date they have not announced or shown a dedicated BEV chassis. If anyone knows of one please post!

Batteries on the floor in an aluminum frame with a rear electric motor? How is this not a dedicated EV chassis? It sure looks a lot like it has a lot in common with a Model S. Furthermore, there is no "foam" in a pure electric i3. BMW removed the heat pump from Rex i3's to accommodate for the ICE. Non Rex i3's have a heat pump in that space, not foam..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Just a Reader
Batteries on the floor in an aluminum frame with a rear electric motor? How is this not a dedicated EV chassis? It sure looks a lot like it has a lot in common with a Model S. Furthermore, there is no "foam" in a pure electric i3. BMW removed the heat pump from Rex i3's to accommodate for the ICE. Non Rex i3's have a heat pump in that space, not foam..
And an ICE. The chassis was designed with an ICE. Do you disagree? If not, that is my only point. If you do, then how is it dedicated BEV?

I have already extolled the virtues of Autopilot and how it has made my morning commute so much more enjoyable (see: How Autopilot has added years to my life.).

One thing I'm noticing is it has been a complete 180 in terms of what actually makes me happy when I drive. Before Tesla I definitely was the type A driver, priding myself on shaving a minute or two by making smart moves on the freeway, going around "road hogs" in the fast lane etc. On long road trips I prided myself on driving continuous for long distances without stopping and maintaining a high average mph.

Now I'm noticing that stuff like that doesn't matter as much. Maybe I'm getting older, but I think Tesla really has shifted my view of "reward" in different driving scenarios. Take for instance today on my commute to work, I was thrilled that I achieved the lowest avg watt/mile rating since I've owned the car for my morning commute. The difference in this lower rate was quite negligible in my overall range (and I have no worries about range anyway), with only maybe a 6 mile increase in my rated range, but I was far happier achieving it than getting to work 2-3 minutes faster like I used to.

By the way, even driving majority of commute on freeway at 79 mph (37 mile commute, probably 8 miles local roads), with autopilot on during freeway drive, the watt/mi avg for entire trip was 274, even lower that EPA rating which I thought was done at a much lower speed.

I can completely relate to your story. It has changed my driving habits even without autopilot. My commute is only 21 miles each way, but it takes up to an hour to travel those 21 miles. Now, I thoroughly enjoy the drive to and from work no matter how bad traffic is. Love this car is an understatement.

Reactions: ggnykk and Akikiki
Since I work at home, I don't have a commute (and my wife's commute is pretty easy). Between the sheer joy of driving it and the lessened eco-guilt I have found myself using it to drive to pleasant places to walk and hike more frequently, and we're anticipating doing more road trips than in the past to enjoy life in a wider radius around where we live (at the very least, up to half a charge's worth ;)).

I am completely ruined on other cars. It's like I've just been issued a learner's permit.

I had a Nissan Sentra as a rental car on a business trip and it was just awful. I'm sure the car is fine, normally, but I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted.
Merging into traffic on the highway took ages. Attempting to pass felt like an all-day affair. For the first few stops there was a good half-second delay where I had to remember to move my foot over to the brake pedal to actually slow the car down (who applies the actual brakes over 5mph anyway?! :p ). I forgot to turn off the engine once. That same instance was when I was forced to stop for gas outside the airport district.

I actually had a non-"Tesla я Best" issue with the car on the way back. Whenever there was a lateral force on the car (cornering left at speed, strong crosswind, etc) a loud and troubling "hwooonnnnnnggg" would be emitted from the front passenger side of the car. I checked the wheel and suspension. All seemed to be in order, so I just (slowly) limped it back to the rental agency.

Something I more recently noticed about driving an ICE vs Tesla is the disconnect on a lot of ICE vehicles between engine noise/rev and acceleration. I suppose I always "knew" it, but there's such a direct correlation to the go and the "go pedal" in the Model S that I have been spoiled on any other type of driving.

P.S. I later found out that the Sentra I had came with a CVT. HOWEVER, it had logic in the CPU to hold the car at certain RPMs to make it "feel" like it was shifting. o_O What's the point?

Reactions: ggnykk and xrayvsn
While I wait for mine, I hate rental gasoline Jetta, and stinky TDI with its DPF regens.... What i feel is that when i drive a gasoline car, it drives me, i want to rev it and do all that shifting and before you know you may get carried away and get a ticket. Driving electric is a way more relaxing experience, even in jumpy iMiev i had. Precise controllable reactions from pedals, smooth pick up and tons of torque. Can't go back to ICE now : )

The same has happened to me. I used to be an aggressive driver. I expect I was a complete a-hole. Not any more. I simply do not feel the need. Aside from the fact that I will do nothing to harm my lovely 121K gal, I just find it it so much more enjoyable to simply enjoy the ride. It is a completely difference experience than I have ever had in any other car. I must admit that some of it is ego, because I feel so much more superior to all the other plebian ICE "fossils" on the road. They are so primitive, ancient, simple and just plain nasty compared to a sleek, smooth Tesla that glides along effortlessly through every situation, whether I am doing the driving or being driven by this amazing invention.

It's just a different world now for me. I wonder: if everybody drove these, would traffic become calmer and more polite? I most certainly have. Something I would have never predicted of me, being Type A++.

I know it sounds lame. But this car really has changed a part of my life for the better.

The same has happened to me. I used to be an aggressive driver. I expect I was a complete a-hole. Not any more. I simply do not feel the need. Aside from the fact that I will do nothing to harm my lovely 121K gal, I just find it it so much more enjoyable to simply enjoy the ride. It is a completely difference experience than I have ever had in any other car. I must admit that some of it is ego, because I feel so much more superior to all the other plebian ICE "fossils" on the road. They are so primitive, ancient, simple and just plain nasty compared to a sleek, smooth Tesla that glides along effortlessly through every situation, whether I am doing the driving or being driven by this amazing invention.

It's just a different world now for me. I wonder: if everybody drove these, would traffic become calmer and more polite? I most certainly have. Something I would have never predicted of me, being Type A++.

I know it sounds lame. But this car really has changed a part of my life for the better.

I second (or is it third) that motion, after having a Tesla for the past six months, how can I ever go back to anything less? My life is so much less stressful and I humor at those around me still running that 100 year old rat-race in an ICE.

Reactions: Discoducky

Yup- me too. And CHG-ON said the same thing:
I used to like driving faster than everyone else, always in a hurry.
Now, I take my time and don't care so much- amazing change, and maybe related to being older.
......but maybe related to being able to go 0-100 in 3 seconds flat!! Do you think that stops you NEEDING to go fast?????