Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Park Assist and front camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since owning my MYP over the last few weeks I have been getting used to it as my first tesla, so apologies if these are dull questions but I can't find the answers to these as easily as I thought I would...

1) Whenever i go under 5mph i get "park assist unavailable" come on the screen
2) I dont seem to be able to access the front camera when driving to assist with parking, rear and side cameras come up automatically

For park assist unavailable error:

1) go into autopilot settings and turn everything off
2) reboot car (hold the two steering wheel buttons for 10 seconds until everything turns off and back on
[3) turn autopilot back on again if you want to]

1 & 2 fixed the park assist unavailable error for me.

It is still saying "degraded" but it's working fine. I assume that's because my cameras are still calibrating.

As per above, i don't think you can view the front camera as you have a better view with your own eyes!

For park assist unavailable error:

1) go into autopilot settings and turn everything off
2) reboot car (hold the two steering wheel buttons for 10 seconds until everything turns off and back on
[3) turn autopilot back on again if you want to]

1 & 2 fixed the park assist unavailable error for me.

It is still saying "degraded" but it's working fine. I assume that's because my cameras are still calibrating.

As per above, i don't think you can view the front camera as you have a better view with your own eyes!
Mine still saying degraded also. SC have had me recalibrate cameras TWICE now! Nothing has changed, in fact they’re probably worse now. The distance estimations are a country mile out.

Mine still saying degraded also. SC have had me recalibrate cameras TWICE now! Nothing has changed, in fact they’re probably worse now. The distance estimations are a country mile out.
Yes, same issue now. Cameras have finished calibrating, autopilot working fine, park assist working fine (with variable distance accuracy), but the degraded message still there.

I am going to assume only a software update sometime in the future will actually fix this 🤦‍♂️

Agreed, as I said earlier in this post I genuinely didn’t think it was going to be as bad as people were making out but it absolutely is, utterly dreadful.
i have this theory that people who say it is OK - are the ones who switched to Tesla from some older cars or the ones without features what tesla offers... they just do not realise that things changed few years ago and all bmws, vw and others offer same (or better) functionality (you have to spec a bit).

Never had parking assist work! Tried the software update, no luck. Now I will try the software reset with turning off autopilot first!

‘21 Y LR

If you have a '21 then you still have ultrasonic sensors (USS) so your Park Assist should work just fine like everyone else's. To be clear, Park Assist is the beepy beeps and distance indicating lines when reversing and manual parking, aka parking sensors. If yours doesn't ever work, get Tesla to fix it! But perhaps you're talking about Autopark, aka self-parking? Yeah I understand that is crap! But it should work sometimes, surely? I don't have EAP or FSD which give Autopark so I don't really keep up with what state it is in.

I’m not looking forward to this in my new Y tomorrow. Honestly feels like this one ’small’ change could really tarnish the car in people’s eyes more than any other difference. People like and rely on their parking sensors being reliable and they’re on everything (on the rear at least)

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I’m not looking forward to this in my new Y tomorrow. Honestly feels like this one ’small’ change could really tarnish the car in people’s eyes more than any other difference. People like and rely on their parking sensors being reliable and they’re on everything (on the rear at least)
Had mine 2 weeks mate and I’m not happy at all (as are most) reference this Tesla Vision nonsense. It simply doesn’t work, no 2 ways about it. Lots of squiggly lines and over the top beeps and bongs when you’re nowhere near an obstruction

Reactions: Whyone and Mrklaw
Had mine 2 weeks mate and I’m not happy at all (as are most) reference this Tesla Vision nonsense. It simply doesn’t work, no 2 ways about it. Lots of squiggly lines and over the top beeps and bongs when you’re nowhere near an obstruction

from my 3, The beeps are useful but I still use the side and reverse cameras for main positioning (especially the kerb). I’ll need to be more cautious and try and tune out the bongs :)

Agreed, as I said earlier in this post I genuinely didn’t think it was going to be as bad as people were making out but it absolutely is, utterly dreadful.
Yeah that is sad to hear. I hope this is something Tesla sort out for those who have the problems now. No idea how it will impact sales going forward. I mean they lost my loyalty already and I love my 2 year old m3.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
did you get park assist when you picked your car up or did you need to update the software? I was surprised when I didn’t get any lines or warnings when pulilng up to a supercharger today after picking up. I’ve just updated the software now I’m home with wifi but I’d have thought the service center would have put recent software on.. can’t remember the version that was on before though

I think Tesla's 'solution' to the park-assist fiasco is the future move to HW4 with an additional forward facing camera and botched software updates for the lost generation on HW3 with no parking sensors fitted.
So far all HW4 equipped cars people have seen have the same number of cameras, just the newer Samsung models.