Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Assist Degraded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Think this has been talked about a bit.

Got the new MY 2 days ago, camera calibration complete but getting Parking Assist Unavailable error and Degraded error. It’s chiming but miles out telling me to stop and beeping like hell and I’m about 2ft away from anything.

I’m on 2023.12.9

Any fix for this?

I don’t have any sensors. I’ve cleaned the cameras and rebooted the system. Still nothing.
We know you don't have any sensors! Hence the wink from me and the laughing/crying from Mr Badger.

You have been a member here for three years so we all reckon that you knew that there are already loads of threads/complaints after the USS were removed and parking assist was degraded - and you confirm this has been talked about a bit :)

The only fix any of us know about is retrofitting the USS ....

We know you don't have any sensors! Hence the wink from me and the laughing/crying from Mr Badger.

You have been a member here for three years so we all reckon that you knew that there are already loads of threads/complaints after the USS were removed and parking assist was degraded - and you confirm this has been talked about a bit :)

The only fix any of us know about is retrofitting the USS ....
Whether I’ve been a member on here for three years or not is irrelevant and the fact that I’d said the subject had been talked about a bit, was a very good indicator that I’d read through quite a few posts about the subject, all of them with no actual workaround. I posted for helpful advice and up to date info, I didn’t post for condescending comments and judgement. Keep that to yourself bonnie lad and if you’ve got nothing constructive or helpful to say, then stay quiet.

Well, if you've only got the car 2 days ago then you might still be able to return it and you can then go and buy another car with ultrasonic parking sensors... Otherwise you're out of luck, I'm afraid.
I’d read quite a lot about the sensors been taken off but didn’t realise that things were this bad. My brother has a MY that he bought just weeks before mine and he’s said he has no such issues. Perhaps a software update?

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I’d read quite a lot about the sensors been taken off but didn’t realise that things were this bad. My brother has a MY that he bought just weeks before mine and he’s said he has no such issues. Perhaps a software update?
Well, I guess this is part and parcel of the “Tesla lottery”.
Can’t imagine there is much more you can do other than raise a service request and start considering how much the parking sensors are worth to you whilst you still have the option of returning the car :/

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I’d read quite a lot about the sensors been taken off but didn’t realise that things were this bad.....

Frankly, you are better off without the current Vision-based version of Park Assist which is, IMHO, an irritating distraction.

It is horribly inconsistent, frequently misses 'things', makes a lot of noise and provides little in the way of helpful assistance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Well, I guess this is part and parcel of the “Tesla lottery”.
Can’t imagine there is much more you can do other than raise a service request and start considering how much the parking sensors are worth to you whilst you still have the option of returning the car :/
True, genuinely didn’t think it was this bad. Will speak to the SC on Monday and see what’s said cos I’m it’s current state it’s no good.

You are on the current major software version in use.

The vision only “occupancy” problem for non-USS vehicles has not yet been generally solved, and that is why you are getting the problems you report.

Tesla announced earlier this year that certain items were not working with the removal of USS and that they would ship an OTA update when it was resolved. It is not yet resolved, and there is no timeframe on when they expect to resolve it - not even a “Tesla time” guess.

There are several threads referencing the problem. Some people are waiting for a fix, some are not taking the new vehicle and some are rejecting the vehicle because of type of problems you are reporting.

Your call as to what level of degraded performance you will accept. I dont think I would be happy with the vehicle as you report it as so would not have accepted it. I haven’t driven a Tesla with no USS so have nothing to compare with, but could not contemplate a vehicle without sensors or cameras as low speed bumps account for most vehicle accidents AFAIK!

You are on the current major software version in use.

The vision only “occupancy” problem for non-USS vehicles has not yet been generally solved, and that is why you are getting the problems you report.

Tesla announced earlier this year that certain items were not working with the removal of USS and that they would ship an OTA update when it was resolved. It is not yet resolved, and there is no timeframe on when they expect to resolve it - not even a “Tesla time” guess.

There are several threads referencing the problem. Some people are waiting for a fix, some are not taking the new vehicle and some are rejecting the vehicle because of type of problems you are reporting.

Your call as to what level of degraded performance you will accept. I dont think I would be happy with the vehicle as you report it as so would not have accepted it. I haven’t driven a Tesla with no USS so have nothing to compare with, but could not contemplate a vehicle without sensors or cameras as low speed bumps account for most vehicle accidents AFAIK!
Thanks, very detailed response. I think I’m more shocked than anything else, coming from an M3P 2020 with USS which has been amazing and highly accurate, to whatever this is now on the MY23. I’m on 12.9 and I hear some are on 6.9 and now more talk of updates. Will see what the SC have to say tomorrow. I’ve followed some advice from here to do with disabling autopilot and doing reboots etc, none of that’s worked and I’ve done it several times. What a mess eh?